The Student Room Group

England's left sided problem in the 90's/early 2000's could lower league players..

England's left sided problem in the 90's/early 2000's could lower league (say from the league that is not called the Championship) players have solved the problem? Like when England called up Steve Bull and more recently David Nugent when he played for Preston? I know they were strikers and I know in Nugent's case he was seen more as a back up and probably with Steve Bull as well (he was called up when still playing in the equivalent of League One). Wouldn't this have been better than playing Paul Scholes on the left (which made him unhappy or Joe Cole there) or calling up sub standard players to fill that role in the Umbro Cup?
Reply 1
Original post by hsv
England's left sided problem in the 90's/early 2000's could lower league (say from the league that is not called the Championship) players have solved the problem? Like when England called up Steve Bull and more recently David Nugent when he played for Preston? I know they were strikers and I know in Nugent's case he was seen more as a back up and probably with Steve Bull as well (he was called up when still playing in the equivalent of League One). Wouldn't this have been better than playing Paul Scholes on the left (which made him unhappy or Joe Cole there) or calling up sub standard players to fill that role in the Umbro Cup?

Joe Cole was ace.
Reply 2
Nope.
Reply 3
Original post by Jjj90
Joe Cole was ace.

Second that. I'll never forget that goal he scored against Sweden..
Original post by hsv
England's left sided problem in the 90's/early 2000's could lower league (say from the league that is not called the Championship) players have solved the problem?

Maybe, but who for example? During the period you are talking about, the only player who played for England while below the Premiership was Paul Merson (someone can correct me if I am wrong here). I'm not sure that there were any left wingers in the then first division that would have been better than playing established players out of position.

Of course, Stewart Downing came along and all of England's left sided problems were over.
Reply 5
Original post by Quantex
Maybe, but who for example? During the period you are talking about, the only player who played for England while below the Premiership was Paul Merson (someone can correct me if I am wrong here)r.

Kevin Phillips and Michael Gray, both made their debuts shortly before Sunderland were promoted back to the PL. Can't think of any others off the top of my head. But Michael Gray was a left sided player...just not all that good.
Reply 6
Jay Boothroyd is the only recent player to have played for England whilst playing in the Championship. I think he just signed for a club in Australia
Reply 7
Playing Paul Scholes on the left was a travesty. He is the most cultured passer of a ball I've seen and this is coming from a Liverpool fan.

Him and Gerrard in the middle would have been sumptuous.
Original post by firmfrank
Jay Boothroyd is the only recent player to have played for England whilst playing in the Championship. I think he just signed for a club in Australia

Thailand
Sven only played the ''big names'' irrespective of form. Having four world class midfielders (Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes) in the same team was more of a hindrance than a help.

Quick Reply

Latest