The Student Room Group

N5 Prelims

My school have been doing N5 prelims this week. These prelims, however, cannot be appealed under the new curriculum, of course, rather my school are simply doing them to serve as a test run for the real things.
I think I've done fairly in them- apart from Maths. I think I might've gotten a B, or perhaps even a C, but either way I really don't see an A on the cards.

How much do you think this 'prelim' grade matters? What can I do to improve for the real exams? Any advice, help or thoughts appreciated, I am feeling pretty bad about this right now...:frown:
They do matter - but only as much as you allow them to. They highlight areas that you should be studying, if your exam technique is ok, show you exam conditions, give you an idea of timing/ how to prepare and most importantly give you a huge kick in the arse if you havent been studying. The teachers wont be any different towards you if you dont do brilliantly, and prelims definately arent held against you when you go into the real exam. I dont know anything about the nationals, but remember you have ages until the real exam - so you can still improve significantly. With my SG's (Equivalent to nationals I think) I started studying in like march, and although it seems really early, I am of the opinion that if you can maximise your chances of passing well, why would you not do it?

Also, it is pretty rare for someone to ace all of their prelims so dont worry about it.
Reply 2
Original post by Pennyarcade
They do matter - but only as much as you allow them to. They highlight areas that you should be studying, if your exam technique is ok, show you exam conditions, give you an idea of timing/ how to prepare and most importantly give you a huge kick in the arse if you havent been studying.

Yeah, these are the key things. For me, they gave me an idea of timing and my SG prelims last year really gave me the kick up the arse from not studying efficiently for 18 months to get enough to do four Highers this year. And the thing I am thinking about for next year myself, wanting to do 4 AHs, is that good prelim results can really influence teachers views on choices for next year's subjects, something which I'm hoping to do because two subjects I wish to do are in the same columns on our school's option forms and would hope to impress teachers into allowing me to do these AHs.
(horrific bump)

I'd just like to thank you both for your advice :smile:

In my prelims I got five A band 1s and one A band 2 in spanish. I was shocked as heck to get an A band 1 in Maths, but I am working on calming down and doing better for the May exams. Good luck to you both, too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending