The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Switching from 2nd to 1st Year Entry

Hey, all. I've just received a conditional offer for 2014 2nd-Year-entry for Maths and Physics.
I have two questions, both related: firstly, is it possible for me to contact them and ask to be considered for 1st-Year-entry instead; secondly, is switching worth it/what difference does it make whether I enter into 1st or 2nd year?
I have always enjoyed a broad range of subjects, and have continued to do so this year by taking English Adv.H. alongside my other subjects. I'm now regretting applying for 2nd-Year-entry, as it seems to severely limit the opportunity for taking courses outside of Maths/Physics. I'd love to take a Psychology or English course at university alongside my main courses, even if it's just for the first year. I'm left in a slight dilemma, and I'd hate to get the grades only to turn St. Andrews down purely on the basis of what year I irrationally decided to apply for.
I was in a similar position, but for chemistry, I did 2nd year entry and just finished my first semester. It was hard at first but it will slowly get easier and more manageable.

The main difference is that the 1st year stuff is mostly recap from A level/Advanced Higher, whereas its new stuff from day 1 in second year entry, although you get less module options with second year entry.

If you want to take courses outside your main subject, 1st year entry would be the better option.

I'm not sure about the physics/maths departments, but I know for chemistry it doesn't matter which one you apply to, you make the decision of which level you want to enter at advising and matriculation.

I hope this helps.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
That certainly helps; thank you. Knowing that there is a certain openness to switching what level you enter at once you enter the university is a relief - I may just wait until then and see if I can switch.
I would advise contacting the department by email or giving them a ring to make sure though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending