The Student Room Group
go to a local college/6th form
ask them if you can sit the exams there and what exam boards they follow...
it'll cost you more if you sit a completely different exam board but sit the exam at a college
so i suggest you sit the same exams as the ones being held at the college

if your exams are in May/June, then you need to act fast
gooood luck :]
Original post by pureandmodest
go to a local college/6th form
ask them if you can sit the exams there and what exam boards they follow...
it'll cost you more if you sit a completely different exam board but sit the exam at a college
so i suggest you sit the same exams as the ones being held at the college

if your exams are in May/June, then you need to act fast
gooood luck :]

Thanks. Would you know what the fees are like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatPrickImran

Posted from TSR Mobile

they're about £25 per exam
Original post by pureandmodest
they're about £25 per exam

Hold on, are you sure!? I got told they are around £200 per exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

no way would they ever be that much!
my brother sat exams externally for a year too, he sat the same exam boards as the college did and it costed him about £25 per exam
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Colleges can set their own prices so its worth asking around a few places
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

About £100 per exam seems about average. Some are more, or if you're lucky you might find it cheaper (usually at your old school if they accept external candidates). But £25 is unusual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
About £100 per exam seems about average. Some are more, or if you're lucky you might find it cheaper (usually at your old school if they accept external candidates). But £25 is unusual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because I want to sit A-Levels externally, can I only sit them at colleges/ sixth form or can I also ask secondary schools? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Its about £20 per written exam unit. I'm doing 1 a level (AQA) externally and its about £75 for the whole a level, consisting of 4 written exams. Just check the prices on the exam board.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
depends on the center, some are cheaper than others. coursework is usually expensive though.
Reply 11
Because I want to sit A-Levels externally, can I only sit them at colleges/ sixth form or can I also ask secondary schools? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can theoretically ask anywhere, but you'll have most luck (and possibly better prices) if you find somewhere that already does that exam. So if you ask a secondary school with a sixth form they might let you, but a secondary school that only goes up to GCSE is unlikely.

There's a list of centres which accept external candidates on the exam board websites. Just because it's on the list doesn't mean it does all exams so you'll still need to check. If somewhere is something like a girls' school, or a Christian school etc and you don't meet that requirement check anyway - you're only going to be there for a few days so it probably won't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
You can theoretically ask anywhere, but you'll have most luck (and possibly better prices) if you find somewhere that already does that exam. So if you ask a secondary school with a sixth form they might let you, but a secondary school that only goes up to GCSE is unlikely.

There's a list of centres which accept external candidates on the exam board websites. Just because it's on the list doesn't mean it does all exams so you'll still need to check. If somewhere is something like a girls' school, or a Christian school etc and you don't meet that requirement check anyway - you're only going to be there for a few days so it probably won't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see, thanks. The hardest thing seems to be finding a centre. Do you know where I can get this information from. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I see, thanks. The hardest thing seems to be finding a centre. Do you know where I can get this information from. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the exam board website. So if your exam will be with aqa, check their website.

Can't link now as on phone, but if you can't find it I'll have a look later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
On the exam board website. So if your exam will be with aqa, check their website.

Can't link now as on phone, but if you can't find it I'll have a look later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers! I've found it. One last question haha, are there any difference between the exam boards or are some better than others for different subjects. The subjects which I want to sit externally are Maths, Econonics, Business and Chemistry (all AS). Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Cheers! I've found it. One last question haha, are there any difference between the exam boards or are some better than others for different subjects. The subjects which I want to sit externally are Maths, Econonics, Business and Chemistry (all AS). Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Different exam boards will cover different topics. So with something like physics, one might do astronomy but another might focus more on mechanics or electronics. You might therefore find one is better in relation to your interests and future career plans. This will affect things like study guides, so maybe look at what books you already have or could get easier

They'll also have different coursework rules and practical exams.

And they might have different prices - but when I did A Levels it was only about £2 difference so it's very minor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
Different exam boards will cover different topics. So with something like physics, one might do astronomy but another might focus more on mechanics or electronics. You might therefore find one is better in relation to your interests and future career plans. This will affect things like study guides, so maybe look at what books you already have or could get easier

They'll also have different coursework rules and practical exams.

And they might have different prices - but when I did A Levels it was only about £2 difference so it's very minor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't mind me asking; what did you get for the A-Levels you sat externally and what did you use to learn/revise the material.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
If you don't mind me asking; what did you get for the A-Levels you sat externally and what did you use to learn/revise the material.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never sat A Levels externally (though I can see how you might think that from my post).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending