The Student Room Group

HIS3J: The State and People: Britain, 1918–1964. 2014 June exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80

Thank you! Looks like I'm going to be very busy trying to do all these essay questions now :smile:

I'm so worried about this exam as I need to get top marks thus now at 2am I'm revising history... Can not wait for this to be over.

By the way do you have any other resources which may help with this course? I have nothing except books and a useless teacher...
(edited 9 years ago)
Could someone help me solve these 2 questions i have please

1) What are synoptic links ? Would i be right in saying that for example the economic development of a downturn in world trade led to the political development of the govt to cut govt spending and wages which caused high unemployment for society.

2) What do we need to know about historical debate as we have not been taught anything about historians and their opinions and is it nevessary for say 30/31 out of 45
Does anyone know if problems in Ireland (such as Lloyd George using the Black and Tans etc.) would be referred to as domestic affairs or foreign affairs?

I'm doing an essay plan for the past paper question 'how successful was Lloyd George's government in dealing with domestic problems in the years 1918 to 1922?' and not sure if Ireland can be used or not.
How did Chanak lead to DLG's downfall - like does anyone know what details we need to know? Thanks :biggrin:
In fact, does anyone have an essay plan on reasons for his downfall :smile:?
Reply 85
Original post by aliceowatson
Does anyone know if problems in Ireland (such as Lloyd George using the Black and Tans etc.) would be referred to as domestic affairs or foreign affairs?

I'm doing an essay plan for the past paper question 'how successful was Lloyd George's government in dealing with domestic problems in the years 1918 to 1922?' and not sure if Ireland can be used or not.

Personally I would mention Ireland but just very shortly, I would not into too much depth :smile:
Reply 86
To*what*extent*was*there*a*political*consensus*between*the*main*political*parties*in*the*
years*1951*to*1964?*

Im struggling a bit with consensus politics. What to include for this question?

-Churchill's government 1951-4 following main aims introduced already by the Labour Party such as extension of the welfare state, trying to maintain full employment while at the same time achieving economic growth, keeping Britain heavily committed to military defence and developing a nuclear weapons programme
- Conservatives continued to follow Keynes economic policy
- Only real clash between Labour and Conservatives was over the nationalisation of the steel industry hence once in power torries denationalized steel
-Butskelism; similarities between Butler (Conservative) and Gaitskell (Labour) although there were differences in financial matters as Gaitskell favoured high direct taxation and greater government direction while Butler believed in economic control through use of interest rates
-Macmillan continue to Labour ideas such as improving living standards e.g. 300,000 houses build in 1953 thus ending the worst of the housing shortage.
- Conservatives introduced important extensions of the Welfare state eg.Mental Health Act 1959. However, introduction of 2s prescription charge aroused Labour opposition also Labour criticized Conservatives that there very few hospitals build in their thirteen years of power.
-Conservatives expanded education by building about 6000 schools and 11 universities.
- Consensus lasted through the thirteen years of Conservative government 1951-64
- Although there was no total agreement about every policy. Some Conservative left-wingers were appalled at Macmillans decolonization policies and felt that too much was spend on welfare provision. Some Labour left-wingers were bitter critics of the official Labour line on defence, which was to go along with the Conservative policy of rearmament and build up nuclear weapons.

What else??
Reply 87
Original post by studentone
How did Chanak lead to DLG's downfall - like does anyone know what details we need to know? Thanks :biggrin:

Do we need to know about Chanak incident? It's not on specification plus there's no way we gonna get a question like this as there too much focus on foreign affairs
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by paul0151
Could someone help me solve these 2 questions i have please

1) What are synoptic links ? Would i be right in saying that for example the economic development of a downturn in world trade led to the political development of the govt to cut govt spending and wages which caused high unemployment for society.

2) What do we need to know about historical debate as we have not been taught anything about historians and their opinions and is it nevessary for say 30/31 out of 45

Synoptic links are just making references over the whole period, comparing something that happened in the 50's to something from 1918 or something, thats a synoptic link.

And you just need to show that you're aware of other arguments, say for the 1930s' you'd use a historian who supports the hungry 30's view and then use one that supports the 'dawn of affluence' view to show balance and that you're aware of the debate around the topic. Do that for every question you get.

If you go through this thread someone linked two documents they have of Historical debate for the whole period, will help you alot.
Reply 89
Original post by muzika
To*what*extent*was*there*a*political*consensus*between*the*main*political*parties*in*the*
years*1951*to*1964?*

Im struggling a bit with consensus politics. What to include for this question?

-Churchill's government 1951-4 following main aims introduced already by the Labour Party such as extension of the welfare state, trying to maintain full employment while at the same time achieving economic growth, keeping Britain heavily committed to military defence and developing a nuclear weapons programme
- Conservatives continued to follow Keynes economic policy
- Only real clash between Labour and Conservatives was over the nationalisation of the steel industry hence once in power torries denationalized steel
-Butskelism; similarities between Butler (Conservative) and Gaitskell (Labour) although there were differences in financial matters as Gaitskell favoured high direct taxation and greater government direction while Butler believed in economic control through use of interest rates
-Macmillan continue to Labour ideas such as improving living standards e.g. 300,000 houses build in 1953 thus ending the worst of the housing shortage.
- Conservatives introduced important extensions of the Welfare state eg.Mental Health Act 1959. However, introduction of 2s prescription charge aroused Labour opposition also Labour criticized Conservatives that there very few hospitals build in their thirteen years of power.
-Conservatives expanded education by building about 6000 schools and 11 universities.
- Consensus lasted through the thirteen years of Conservative government 1951-64
- Although there was no total agreement about every policy. Some Conservative left-wingers were appalled at Macmillans decolonization policies and felt that too much was spend on welfare provision. Some Labour left-wingers were bitter critics of the official Labour line on defence, which was to go along with the Conservative policy of rearmament and build up nuclear weapons.

What else??

You know this question has come up before? You can get the mark scheme [stuff to include] and the examiner report on the AQA website.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-HIS3J-W-MS-JUN11.PDF
Reply 90
Original post by studentone
In fact, does anyone have an essay plan on reasons for his downfall :smile:?

With Chanak he almost took the country to war - again. With the support of only a few friends/advisers so he was acting dictator-like and the opinion of the conservative was that he was war-warmongering and unreliable.

This questions come up too, just had to google it to get the aqa mark scheme:

Candidates may refer to some of the following material in support of the premise that it
was the mistakes of Lloyd George:

his increasingly presidential style that by-passed the cabinet confirmed to many
Conservatives that Lloyd George was not to be trusted
his personal reputation was damaged by the sale of honours and by openly keeping a
mistress
failure to effectively deal with post-war unemployment and post-war industrial unrest
the damage of the Geddes Axe
alienated Tory Unionists with his policies in Ireland
criticism of the Paris Peace Conference, the failure of international conferences, and the
Chanak incident, which saw the cabinet labelled as war mongering.

Nevertheless there are a number of other factors to consider:

public opinion changed over the period with Lloyd George’s reputation as the man who
had won the war being tarnished by the series of scandals and unpopular policies, to the
extent that by 1922 he was viewed widely as a scoundrel who had failed to deliver on
the promises of 1918
this change in public opinion was reflected in by-election victories for non-Coalition
Conservatives suggesting Lloyd George was no longer an electoral asset
Fraser’s report in January 1922 suggested that the Coalition would lose 100
(Conservative) seats and the party would be split if an election were held on a coalition
basis
the resignation of Bonar-Law in 1921 due to ill health weakened Lloyd George’s position
as he had been his main ally amongst the Conservative Party (and even he spoke
against the Coalition at the Carlton Club).

Furthermore, candidates may consider:

Blake has argued that the preferred response of many leading Conservatives to the rise
of Labour was a Disraelian appeal to the working-class and tariff reform to increase
employment. Baldwin had entered parliament as a tariff reformer. Coalition Liberals
would never allow this.

In conclusion, candidates may link the mistakes of Lloyd George to the impact on public opinion
and that this change in perception was recognised by Tory backbenchers, ultimately leading to
the decisive action at the Carlton Club.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by muzika
Thank you! Looks like I'm going to be very busy trying to do all these essay questions now :smile:

I'm so worried about this exam as I need to get top marks thus now at 2am I'm revising history... Can not wait for this to be over.

By the way do you have any other resources which may help with this course? I have nothing except books and a useless teacher...

Aha awe, yeah I need to get a really good mark on this paper, just wishing and hoping the questions are decent.

Erm i'll attach two documents our teacher gave us to help us out.
Reply 92
Original post by Rororoda
You know this question has come up before? You can get the mark scheme [stuff to include] and the examiner report on the AQA website.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-HIS3J-W-MS-JUN11.PDF

Omg and how I haven't released that it came up before. Good that I did only a plan for this question :biggrin:

Another question
How far was the failure of the application to join the EEC in 1963 responsible for the
Conservative defeat in the 1964 election?

Is there is a chance that something like this may come up? As I believe specification say nothing that we need to know something about 1963 election
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by muzika
Omg and how I haven't released that it came up before. Good that I did only a plan for this question :biggrin:

Another question
How far was the failure of the application to join the EEC in 1963 responsible for the
Conservative defeat in the 1964 election?

Is there is a chance that something like this may come up? As I believe specification say anything that we need to know something about 1963 election

:smile:

Well only the 1945 election is mentioned on the spec but the 1951 elections has come up before as a question. So I feel like any of the elections could come up
Synoptic links are just making references over the whole period, comparing something that happened in the 50's to something from 1918 or something, thats a synoptic link.

And you just need to show that you're aware of other arguments, say for the 1930s' you'd use a historian who supports the hungry 30's view and then use one that supports the 'dawn of affluence' view to show balance and that you're aware of the debate around the topic. Do that for every question you get.

If you go through this thread someone linked two documents they have of Historical debate for the whole period, will help you alot.

We were taught that a synoptic link is linking factors such as the economy to political and social factors etc ?

And we were not taught about historians and their opinions only about the reasons for the adoption or not of Keynesian economics is it essential to know of historians to achieve around 60 marks on this exam ?
Reply 95
We were taught that a synoptic link is linking factors such as the economy to political and social factors etc ?

And we were not taught about historians and their opinions only about the reasons for the adoption or not of Keynesian economics is it essential to know of historians to achieve around 60 marks on this exam ?

Well I guess if that what was you were taught, doesn't make sense to me. We were taught differently. Like a synoptic question is a question that covers the whole period, so a synoptic link would be linking factors over a long period of time?

Historiography is very important to mention i'd say, not sure how well you'd do without it. Try working out with a mark scheme.
Well I guess if that what was you were taught, doesn't make sense to me. We were taught differently. Like a synoptic question is a question that covers the whole period, so a synoptic link would be linking factors over a long period of time?

Historiography is very important to mention i'd say, not sure how well you'd do without it. Try working out with a mark scheme.

Well how would you make synoptic links in a depth question that covers 4 years eg the fall of lloyd george 1918-22
The Welfare State has not been up yet so i think we'll get a question about what was the most successful part etc
(Are mixed economy and full employment seperate achievements by labour to the welfare state)

And i think our breadth question will be something along the lines of 'British governments were successful in dealing with unemployment from the years 1918 to 1964'. How far do you agree with this ?
(Would you talk about how govts solved unemployment and also how they helped the unemployed eg the 1934 Unemployment Insurance Act
Reply 98
Well how would you make synoptic links in a depth question that covers 4 years eg the fall of lloyd george 1918-22

You can still make the odd links out of the time period given, but because its a depth question and not a breadth question synopticity isn't as important in those answers.
You can still make the odd links out of the time period given, but because its a depth question and not a breadth question synopticity isn't as important in those answers.

So would i be right in saying that if a breadth question that came up covered 18-64, i should compare events that are similar at the end and start eg, high unemployment, housing acts etc if they were relevant to the question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending