The Student Room Group

Which subject would you kill off?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MAyman12
No, I'm not interested in your piece of **** you call philosophy. Philosophers have never done anything useful, all they do is ask stupid questions over and over again without trying finding an answer.

Why does a subject have to be 'useful' in a scientific way to be a good subject? English Literature, History, Drama... all useless then?

Anyway, you clearly have no knowledge of the history of philosophy and how it informed all manner of endeavour, mathematically, scientifically... do the names Aristotle and Plato mean anything to you? David Hume? Bertrand Russell?

You think of philosophy in a cliched, stereotypical manner; I'd guess you are quite young. Widen your intellectual horizons once in a while, it may surprise you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Psychology!!! It's complete utter bull****! No relation to the real world whatsoever, (maybe to an extent) But all these theories and studies can't be generalised to everyone out there with different problems and different situations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Why does a subject have to be 'useful' in a scientific way to be a good subject? English Literature, History, Drama... all useless then?

Anyway, you clearly have no knowledge of the history of philosophy and how it informed all manner of endeavour, mathematically, scientifically... do the names Aristotle and Plato mean anything to you? David Hume? Bertrand Russell?

You think of philosophy in a cliched, stereotypical manner. Widen your intellectual horizons once in a while, it may surprise you.

I'm not going to waste my time reading about philosophy. Why don't you learn some maths and physics?
Reply 63
Maths. I'm s**t at it
Original post by keromedic
Travel and Tourism

It took me a while, but I figured out your sig. I feel so smart.
I'm not going to waste my time reading about philosophy. Why don't you learn some maths and physics?

I've studied both, got A*s in both, enjoyed them both.

Why don't you answer my questions? You sound like an immature student who is going through the phase of

"Hurr durr philosophy and humanities suck, sciences are the best subjects"

Lots of people go through that stage, don't worry about it, but try to reason why other subjects have their merits.
Because, of maths, physics and engineering I'm using my computer to write this down. The economy is all based on maths, physics for technology and biology and chemistry for medicine. Please explain how the "general public" don't use maths or science?

But at what point do YOU actually use (high levek maths or science? Do you ever need to calculate the volume of a sphere? Do you pull out a calculator when working out the tip at a restaurant? Break out a trig graph when you're kicking a football?

Most people I know don't really need to use much, if any maths or science in their day to day jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by majmuh24
But at what point do YOU actually use (high levek maths or science? Do you ever need to calculate the volume of a sphere? Do you pull out a calculator when working out the tip at a restaurant? Break out a trig graph when you're kicking a football?

Most people I know don't really need to use much, if any maths or science in their day to day jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You say most people don't really need to use much science or maths, then please trying taking their phones, computers, tvs, cars, electricity and light and their medicine. Not because, they don't use much science and maths that they don't need it.
You say most people don't really need to use much science or maths, then please trying taking their phones, computers, tvs, cars, electricity and light and their medicine. Not because, they don't use much science and maths that they don't need it.

Science and maths may be involved in the production and maintenance of these things, but I doubt many people really care about the science and maths involved in these and instead just use them to play games or text their mates. When do average people actually purposely use maths or science in their day to day life, not just areas that they are involved in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
I've studied both, got A*s in both, enjoyed them both.

Why don't you answer my questions? You sound like an immature student who is going through the phase of

"Hurr durr philosophy and humanities suck, sciences are the best subjects"

Lots of people go through that stage, don't worry about it, but try to reason why other subjects have their merits.

Both, GCSEs and A Levels are worthless, they are not real maths or science. A* is not an achievement just to be clear. Plus, it's not a phase I've always hated philosophy and humanities, even though I always get great marks in it.

Essentially Philosophy is about the fundamental problems of existence. I think that is pretty important to life. So economics, politics, history, languages, English are all useless because they're not maths or science?
Both, GCSEs and A Levels are worthless, they are not real maths or science. A* is not an achievement just to be clear. Plus, it's not a phase I've always hated philosophy and humanities, even though I always get great marks in it.

Judging from your profile you are in year 11 now. You haven't studied philosophy at any great depth at that age, nor humanities.

Heck, you haven't even done GCSE's or A-levels.

Pointless having a discussion with you if you make sweeping generalisations about topics you know nothing about.
Religious Studies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Reply 74
Judging from your profile you are in year 11 now. You haven't studied philosophy at any great depth at that age, nor humanities.

Heck, you haven't even done GCSE's or A-levels.

Pointless having a discussion with you if you make sweeping generalisations about topics you know nothing about.

Actually, I've finished GCSE's 2 years ago, As Levels a year ago and now finishing my A2's and graduating this year. I fast tracked 2 years. And about not knowing anything about philosophy, I actually almost always argue with my father about philosophy every month at least, for some reason he's likes philosophy a lot.
Actually, I've finished GCSE's 2 years ago, As Levels a year ago and now finishing my A2's and graduating this year. I fast tracked 2 years. And about not knowing anything about philosophy, I actually almost always argue with my father about philosophy every month at least, for some reason he's likes philosophy a lot.

Aha, you class discussions with your dadas knowledge of philosophy? No. Academic philosophy is much more complex and logical than general discussions of that sort.
Reply 76
Aha, you class discussions with your dadas knowledge of philosophy? No. Academic philosophy is much more complex and logical than general discussions of that sort.

Lol calling philosophy complex.:laugh:
I would kill off Chemistry

EVIL THING
Reply 78
Media
General studies
Reply 79
Citizenship, it's so pointless, considering none of our teachers knew what they were talking about when we did it for gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest