The Student Room Group

Which subject would you kill off?

Scroll to see replies

R.E but I think pretty much every subject taught at school has some merit to it.
Original post by KingStannis
Why not educate yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will not waste time with philosophy.
Original post by MAyman12
Philosophy has nothing to do with science.

Yeah... it's not like philosophy formed the foundations for the entire scientific method or anything:K:
Original post by blobafet3
Yeah... it's not like philosophy formed the foundations for the entire scientific method or anything:K:

It didn't.
Reply 104
Original post by Midlander
Art. I was never particularly fond of some condescending teacher having a go at me because I couldn't draw or paint. Total waste of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I always found it ironic that my teacher got angry with people if they didn't do what she wanted, given that art, by its very nature, is subjective
It didn't.

At risk of this becoming a primary school debate... it kind of did!
It didn't.
Philosophy and natural science, up until approximately the 18th century, were considered one and the same. Both fundamentally seek to uncover the truth and answer questions about our existence, reality etc. So, yes they are very similar.
Original post by scjman
Yeah I always found it ironic that my teacher got angry with people if they didn't do what she wanted, given that art, by its very nature, is subjective

It seemed that no matter what I did I always got a rubbish mark and the teacher seemed to think you were crap on purpose. It should be made optional from the very start of school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It didn't.

It ****ing did

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not exactly killing a subject but based on my experience, unless you have a gift or talent in it, French. I would most likely kill off French, it's just so d*** hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
art
unless if your extremely talented at the subject its a complete waste of time.
no one draws by hand, all done on the computer using CAD software.
Reply 111
P.E, most useless subject ever! :colonhash:
General Studies/Critical Thinking. I mean, how do you test that? It was simply invented to give people an A-Level in something, even though nobody takes it seriously as an A Level.

I'd also said Philosophy, Sociology or Psychology, but I could imagine they're quite interesting if taken seriously.
Original post by JammyGit07
"Film Studies"

Hey I did film studies! Those lessons spent watching films were some of the best I ever had!
Reply 114
Original post by Midlander
It seemed that no matter what I did I always got a rubbish mark and the teacher seemed to think you were crap on purpose. It should be made optional from the very start of school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. I'm not entirely sure if my teacher thought people were crap on purpose, but she seemed to think so as she often went ape**** at people who got things wrong in their work. Yeah I agree that art should always have been optional
Original post by Firenze26
I'm not exactly killing a subject but based on my experience, unless you have a gift or talent in it, French. I would most likely kill off French, it's just so d*** hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot more useful than colouring in though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aivicore

The only thing I'd change slightly is General Studies. It has the potential to be really enlightening, but it just ISN'T.

I agree - particularly as almost nobody bothers to study for it, generally or otherwise.
PE. I hated it :mad:
Original post by MovesLikeAgger
URDU!!!!!!!! Don't get me started on Urdu. I've had to take it as a GCSE (I speak 8 languages so not TOO much of a problem) and it's the biggest waste of time EVER! Oxbridge and UCL don't even recognise it as a proper language qualification.

hd 2 gle tht
Reply 119
English literature and language
- Serisously it doesnt test anything all you have to do is write as much bs as you can about some plays etc... limited real life applications

Art
-pretty pointless study could be replaced with something with a more mathematical based art idk something along the lines of a subject called architecture

Citizenship
-Lets be honest are we really doing this for the unfortunate people in africa or as an extra gcse to make ourselves look good.

Quick Reply

Latest