The Student Room Group

How do I actually get a job?

All the available jobs in my area are either wanting somebody with flexible hours (which I can't do as I'm in upper sixth) or automatically rule me out because I have no experience.
It's the annoying cycle of applying for a job, being rejected due to lack of experience but you'll never get experience because you can't get a job aha.
The only thing I've thought off is making a CV and handing it in at independently owned shops. Would that work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
My EMA isnt suffice aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Perhaps volunteer somewhere first to get some experience? That's why I did but I still get rejected due to lack of confidence & stuff lol.
Reply 4
Apply everywhere. Give CVs to shops even if they're not actively hiring. I work in a concession of a department store and they haven't advertised in months, they just interview people who have handed their CV in.
Original post by kendellex
All the available jobs in my area are either wanting somebody with flexible hours (which I can't do as I'm in upper sixth) or automatically rule me out because I have no experience.
It's the annoying cycle of applying for a job, being rejected due to lack of experience but you'll never get experience because you can't get a job aha.
The only thing I've thought off is making a CV and handing it in at independently owned shops. Would that work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some places- for example mcdonalds, aldi, sainsburys, asda, etc require you to apply online- so try that. Carry on handing your cv in. Also try volunteering somewhere.
Start your own business and sell, sell, sell. (I'm serious.)
Reply 7
Original post by uberteknik
Start your own business and sell, sell, sell. (I'm serious.)

I was actually so close to doing that but I need a job to build up some finds first aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Multitalented me
Perhaps volunteer somewhere first to get some experience? That's why I did but I still get rejected due to lack of confidence & stuff lol.

I currently volunteer for three charities but still nothing. It's so annoying aha! I actually am hardworking and would be a brilliant employee!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by alow
Apply everywhere. Give CVs to shops even if they're not actively hiring. I work in a concession of a department store and they haven't advertised in months, they just interview people who have handed their CV in.

I think that might be the best thing. How long did it take for you to get a job by handing in cv's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Emma:-)
Some places- for example mcdonalds, aldi, sainsburys, asda, etc require you to apply online- so try that. Carry on handing your cv in. Also try volunteering somewhere.

I currently volunteer for three charities aha. I think I might have applied for Asda before but I'll try Sainsbury's and mcdonalds and see! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I think that might be the best thing. How long did it take for you to get a job by handing in cv's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couple of weeks :smile:
I currently volunteer for three charities but still nothing. It's so annoying aha! I actually am hardworking and would be a brilliant employee!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah ok, I guess you just have to keep applying online & go into shops & ask for application forms as well. Ask if you can have a job trial as well & also make sure your CV looks nice & professional. Oh I'm sure you would be :tongue: It's just about getting that chance, stay positive & I'm sure you'll get something in the end, good luck :smile:
Reply 13
Looking at places like Indeed and Gumtree are good because you can narrow down your search to weekend work.

Submit your CV online as well. I'm in sixth form too, and I recently found my first job in a 4* hotel working at weddings, with no experience, simply by responding to an ad on Gumtree. Took a while for them to get back to me (so long that I forgot what the job was for when I was offered an interview :tongue:). Took me a very long while, though. Almost three years. Persistence is your best friend whilst looking for a job. If you keep trying, someone will give you a chance one day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending