The Student Room Group

Growing hair out brah

Thinking of growing my hair out to see how it looks, and if it looks **** then I'll just shave it all off. How does one grow their hair out without looking like a total bellend during the process? Is there any way to avoid that awkward 'are you growing your hair our or can you not be bothered to get it cut' phase. Also how does one know they have the facial features to have long hair and look alpha?

That's the kind of look I'm going for, what do'ya rekon?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How does one grow their hair out without looking like a total bellend during the process

With difficulty. I got lazy this ONE time and let it grow out a bit; felt like a complete nob. Hair products and excessive grooming are probably key.

how does one know they have the facial features to have long hair and look alpha
One will not know how one looks until one tries. Can never go wrong with a strong jaw though.
Original post by Leftee
With difficulty. I got lazy this ONE time and let it grow out a bit; felt like a complete nob. Hair products and excessive grooming are probably key.

One will not know how one looks until one tries. Can never go wrong with a strong jaw though.

What about just brushing/combing it over? (I have never been big on using hair products however, I'll use it if it will prevent me looking like a ****. I suppose I will be forced to wear a beanie more often as well.
Reply 3
Mine grows into a mushroom shape, have to keep it short and sweet to be honest.
Original post by Apocrypha
Mine grows into a mushroom shape, have to keep it short and sweet to be honest.

Pics of mushroom shape please, I need to know if my hair looks like a mushroom at the moment.
PS- my hair isn't mega long at the moment but it's thick and curly.
Reply 6
Bro if you're gonna do the whole long-hair-thing you'll have to accept hair products into your lyf. That **** aint gonna manage itself.

If my hair wasn't so thick i'd probably attempt the swept back look at some point in my twenties.. I'm also not blonde, which i think looks much better.

Meh. 2 on the back & sides, scissors on top Ms.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Leftee
Bro if you're gonna do the whole long-hair-thing you'll have to accept hair products into your lyf. That **** aint gonna manage itself.

If my hair wasn't so thick i'd probably attempt the swept back look at some point in my twenties.. I'm also not blonde, which i think looks much better.

Meh. 2 on the back & sides, scissors on top Ms.

FFS didn't realise it would be such a ball ache, so how will my hair grow out if it's thick and curly? Also what would I need to do with the hair products?

This thread needs some female opinions, girls please help me out.

Original post by Holby_fanatic
-

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
-

Original post by Precious Illusions
-
Reply 9
Can't really comment much further than i have, giving that i have no idea what i'm talking about. I'm interested in what the girls will say though so gonna shadow your thread.

PS. Enjoy blow-drying your hair every morning. :colonhash:

Thanks for the pic, my hair is nowhere near as long as that yet, so I guess I will have to wait and see:smile:

Original post by Leftee
Can't really comment much further than i have, giving that i have no idea what i'm talking about. I'm interested in what the girls will say though so gonna shadow your thread.

PS. Enjoy blow-drying your hair every morning. :colonhash:

Cheers for the help pal, yeah I want to hear the girls out too because obviously they will know a lot more than us about long hair.
Fwiw, most of my guy friends have super long hair (i.e as long or longer than mine) and the universal opinion is that there is no way to avoid looking like a bellend in the process. How long is your aim? That pic of Gerard Butler (which isn't that long...)?
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Fwiw, most of my guy friends have super long hair (i.e as long or longer than mine) and the universal opinion is that there is no way to avoid looking like a bellend in the process. How long is your aim? That pic of Gerard Butler (which isn't that long...)?

Just medium length, so not too long (perhaps a little shorter than Butler tbh).

Here's my hair styled at the moment, do you rekon it's alright to grow it out?

2014-03-14 13.29.17.jpg
Reply 13
When was the last time you saw a Viking with short hair? Man up and grow it out.
Original post by alow
When was the last time you saw a Viking with short hair? Man up and grow it out.

Do you have long hair?
Original post by King Leonidas
FFS didn't realise it would be such a ball ache, so how will my hair grow out if it's thick and curly? Also what would I need to do with the hair products?

This thread needs some female opinions, girls please help me out.

I'm now constantly wearing hat. Also growing hair
Reply 16
Do you have long hair?

Yeah.
Just medium length, so not too long (perhaps a little shorter than Butler tbh).

Here's my hair styled at the moment, do you rekon it's alright to grow it out?

2014-03-14 13.29.17.jpg

Is your hair naturally straight? If it is you're pretty lucky, looks nice and thick too. You could probably grow that out relatively painlessly if you kept it swept back off your forehead like you've done there kind of like these rather handsome chaps:

Spoiler

Sorry, got a bit distracted after searching for Chris Hemsworth...but yeah, those are nice lengths. Handy if your hair is naturally straight, constantly getting the straighteners out isn't a great look for a guy...
Original post by alow
Yeah.

Hello :sexface:
Original post by keromedic
I'm now constantly wearing hat. Also growing hair

Awesome, is that a current photo in your avatar, also how long do you plan on growing it for?

Quick Reply

Latest