The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care (Sept 14 Entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lozasaurus99
Foundation course for medicine even accepts btec? ?????????????? I question that not to make you lose any hope, but reality of course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Keele university does it. 6 years medicine course for those who don`t have the right a levels for medicine health and social care BTEC extended diploma is considered . Some universities do offer it though so ya know ...its what I'm going for
hay guys
im all new to this but im on my 2nd year of BTEC Level 3 Extended health and social care and hoping to go to uni in September 2015 but unfortunately last year was a mess rubbish teachers and i didn't really care much and haven't got the grades to go to the uni i had wished too so just a word of advise for first years i know its hard so is the second year but get the work done to the highest grade you can don't let friends and that get in the way you will regret it
wish you all luck
:smile:
Reply 82
Original post by bethmurphy1296
hay guys
im all new to this but im on my 2nd year of BTEC Level 3 Extended health and social care and hoping to go to uni in September 2015 but unfortunately last year was a mess rubbish teachers and i didn't really care much and haven't got the grades to go to the uni i had wished too so just a word of advise for first years i know its hard so is the second year but get the work done to the highest grade you can don't let friends and that get in the way you will regret it
wish you all luck

I did AS levels last year so know the standard of work needed, trying to aim for all distinctions to do nursing at uni. All my friends are already at uni and im going to be 20 when i finish this course :frown:
Original post by bethmurphy1296
hay guys
wish you all luck

Thanks for this actually...very great piece of advice...this happened during high school but wont happen again.
Reply 84
How are you all keeping folders? I did have a lever arch file but now its getting a bit heavy so im not sure if to just put the units we're doing in a ring binder and leave all the other units I've already done at home in the lever arch file.
Guys i need some help with unit 1 m1..PLEASE HELP
Reply 86
Original post by Andreaayivi
Guys i need some help with unit 1 m1..PLEASE HELP

Each college/school has different assignments for each unit so it depends what you need to do?

Just got distinction in my Unit 3 - Health, Safety & Security yay :smile: Waiting back on my Unit 2 - Equality Diversity. We're due to hand in the first part of Unit 6 - Personal & Professional Development and we've just started Unit 8 - The Psychology Unit :smile:
Original post by iJess
Each college/school has different assignments for each unit so it depends what you need to do?

Just got distinction in my Unit 3 - Health, Safety & Security yay :smile: Waiting back on my Unit 2 - Equality Diversity. We're due to hand in the first part of Unit 6 - Personal & Professional Development and we've just started Unit 8 - The Psychology Unit :smile:

unit 1 m1 -6 forms of communication,why theyre important ,advantages, and disadvantages if we were to not use them
but i completed this already.
Reply 88
I get a week off if I hand in my next 2 units on time in 2 weeks :smile:
Original post by iJess
I did AS levels last year so know the standard of work needed, trying to aim for all distinctions to do nursing at uni. All my friends are already at uni and im going to be 20 when i finish this course :frown:

I'll be 20 when I finish this course, too, turning 21 in my first year. My friends will be in their third/final years of university and I'll be a fresher! I got a bit down about it too, but just remember life isn't a race and good things come to those who wait, work hard and take their time :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by EmEmTheFairy
I'll be 20 when I finish this course, too, turning 21 in my first year. My friends will be in their third/final years of university and I'll be a fresher! I got a bit down about it too, but just remember life isn't a race and good things come to those who wait, work hard and take their time :smile:

Yeah it wasn't so much that, just the fact I was in a rush to leave school and took up hairdressing and wasted a year doing that before AS levels, then doing this i should have just done this to start with haha, although I feel its probably better to hopefully be doing Midwifery at 20
I started this course a month and a half late last year, I'm now almost a quarter way through my second year. I'm not sure what unit's you guys will be completing this year, as each college or education provider will go through differing units. Anywho, last year I completed Units 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 11 and 39 (Unit 39 is actually a Level 2 unit, so we don't get 10 credits for it, I think it works out at 7.5 credits, I know, confusing).

If anybody would like any advice or means of support I'd like to help, it's good to know that there are more budding health care professionals undertaking the BTEC route! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iJess
Yeah it wasn't so much that, just the fact I was in a rush to leave school and took up hairdressing and wasted a year doing that before AS levels, then doing this i should have just done this to start with haha, although I feel its probably better to hopefully be doing Midwifery at 20

I hated sixth form (seriously, hated), so I dropped out after around four months and did a business admin apprenticeship. Don't see your filler/gap year as a waste of time, see it as an experience. Yeah, I'm hopefully applying to do social work, despite feeling a little old it's good to know at least we'll be viewed as more mature, although I'm not sure that's a good thing. Bye bye teenage self! :frown:
Original post by ohhello92x
Hey
- it is better than A Levels because it's 100% coursework as you know and you can fully concentrate on getting your coursework done right and get the grades you want.
- it was 3 days in college and 2 days work placement..I assume it's the same in other colleges.
- I got into Buckinghamshire New University. My tutor hasn't informed me yet but providing she has marked all of my last unmarked work, so my merits and distinctions I will be getting DDM. I will be doing a Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care.
- obviously you'll need paper and the basics. When I did the course I had to have a folder and loads of plastic wallets to put coursework in. You may also be required to purchase both textbooks for your course

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd hardly say it's "better than A levels".
Original post by Andreaayivi
Keele university does it. 6 years medicine course for those who don`t have the right a levels for medicine health and social care BTEC extended diploma is considered . Some universities do offer it though so ya know ...its what I'm going for

They except BTEC's, but you need to have PHENOMENAL GCSE's.
Even people with 3 A's at A level don't get a place.
Original post by Incubator

I don't agree with you, but unfortunately, most universities will always view A-Levels as being superior to BTECs. It's a shame really, as the health and social care course gives a massive insight into what working practice really is like within the sector, most A-Levels only offer extended knowledge in one particular subject. I'd say the other major plus for this BTEC course in particular is it's work placement requirement and the experience gained from this (of course, the individual has to do this, it isn't arranged by the college, well at least not at mine anyway).

However, I do often wish I had done A-Levels. But, I much prefer and enjoy this course, it is far more suited to me and I enjoy the 100% coursework aspect of it. I wouldn't have excelled in A-Levels, they are not for everybody.

No need to bash either. :redface:
I don't agree with you, but unfortunately, most universities will always view A-Levels as being superior to BTECs. It's a shame really, as the health and social care course gives a massive insight into what working practice really is like within the sector, most A-Levels only offer extended knowledge in one particular subject. I'd say the other major plus for this BTEC course in particular is it's work placement requirement and the experience gained from this (of course, the individual has to do this, it isn't arranged by the college, well at least not at mine anyway).

However, I do often wish I had done A-Levels. But, I much prefer and enjoy this course, it is far more suited to me and I enjoy the 100% coursework aspect of it. I wouldn't have excelled in A-Levels, they are not for everybody.

No need to bash either. :redface:

"I'd say the other major plus for this BTEC course in particular is it's work placement requirement and the experience gained from this"

I do A levels and have 6 weeks of work experience under my belt...
The work placement isn't even a 'requirement' for a BTEC, so therefore both A level and BTEC students who have some initiative would surely go and arrange some?!
"I'd say the other major plus for this BTEC course in particular is it's work placement requirement and the experience gained from this"

I do A levels and have 6 weeks of work experience under my belt...
The work placement isn't even a 'requirement' for a BTEC, so therefore both A level and BTEC students who have some initiative would surely go and arrange some?!

I'm not sure how it works for other BTEC courses, but for BTEC Health and Social Care, the minimum requirement is 100 hours. If Unit 6 & 44 are undertaken, then 200 hours is required. Failure to complete the work placement leads to failure of the course, and that is not a joke.

Anywho, why are you arguing back? What's the problem? A-Levels, BTEC, Access Course, Mummy & Daddies money - all of these things can get you into university and essentially in the same career path as others. What's it matter? :rolleyes:
Reply 98
I started this course a month and a half late last year, I'm now almost a quarter way through my second year. I'm not sure what unit's you guys will be completing this year, as each college or education provider will go through differing units. Anywho, last year I completed Units 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 11 and 39 (Unit 39 is actually a Level 2 unit, so we don't get 10 credits for it, I think it works out at 7.5 credits, I know, confusing).

If anybody would like any advice or means of support I'd like to help, it's good to know that there are more budding health care professionals undertaking the BTEC route! :smile:

We're done Unit 2 & Unit 3, started Unit 6 which is the placement unit and Unit 8 which is the Psychology unit. I also know we're doing the Physiology unit and Sociology off the top of my head :smile:

I hated sixth form (seriously, hated), so I dropped out after around four months and did a business admin apprenticeship. Don't see your filler/gap year as a waste of time, see it as an experience. Yeah, I'm hopefully applying to do social work, despite feeling a little old it's good to know at least we'll be viewed as more mature, although I'm not sure that's a good thing. Bye bye teenage self! :frown:

Yeah I went back to school and hated sixth form but I came out with BCCDD which isn't too bad, there's a woman in my class doing this thats in her 50's wanting to be a social worker!

I would for me, on an individual basis. Its more related to what I want to do and I don't have to worry about exams.
I'm not sure how it works for other BTEC courses, but for BTEC Health and Social Care, the minimum requirement is 100 hours. If Unit 6 & 44 are undertaken, then 200 hours is required. Failure to complete the work placement leads to failure of the course, and that is not a joke.

Anywho, why are you arguing back? What's the problem? A-Levels, BTEC, Access Course, Mummy & Daddies money - all of these things can get you into university and essentially in the same career path as others. What's it matter? :rolleyes:

So you're telling me, a BTEC i will get you into Medicine? Will get you into Dentistry? Will get you into Physics? Your logic is very flawed. Don't get me wrong, BTEC's are good for hands-on, but if you want a respectable profession, A levels are the route to take. This is based on the academic challenges the A level provides. A level candidates prove they can cope under pressure, eg taking exams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending