The Student Room Group

Acting - advice!

I've just turned 23 and after having spent the last year studying Spanish - and the year before that doing a Drama course at University, which I left after finding it not as intensive as I had hoped - I have decided that acting really is my passion.

My questions are as follows:

* Do acting schools (RADA, Guildhall, etc) allow for one's individual method of acting to mature/shine? One of the things that I have never 'liked' so much (although I do respect it, and have learnt a lot from studying the work of Stanislavski and the like) is that a lot of acting schools seem to mold the students into a specific type of actor, i.e. one that ONLY does Shakespeare, or ONLY does this playwright's methods. My best style of acting is comedy, and I wouldn't want to be doing a course that pidgeonholed me into doing the 'status quo'.

* What advice would you give a 23 year old not too sure where to start? I'm at a bit of a crossroads at the moment, working and not too sure where to first direct my efforts in regards to acting. I have missed the application deadline for most/all acting schools, so that is a bit of a killer to the morale/motivation!

Thanks in advance.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest