The Student Room Group

Why is volunteering abroad so expensive?

Hey,

I'm a first year undergraduate studying Law and I'm looking into volunteering abroad this summer. It's something I've always wanted to do and I feel now is the right time to do it.
There's just one problem... It's incredibly expensive!
I want to do it under the arms of an established organisation. But, I'm now having second thoughts due to the price. We're talking thousands of pounds in some cases! I just don't understand why it would cost so much? The lowest price I've seen was around the £500 mark, but even then, It was for a week in Spain doing agricultural work. Which isn't exactly what I had in mind.
I'm more than happy to pay for flights, and that's justifiable. But, what the heck would thousands of pounds cover?

I'm really keen to do some volunteering abroad but as the majority of people reading this will know, students aren't made of money!

Has anyone staggered across a cheap volunteering scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Most of them use the money to either fund their own projects, support advertising etc.

What kind of volunteering are you interested in?

Frontier has some pretty solid looking projects from like £500 into the thousands depending on duration just use the search thingy top left to try and find yourself something relevant.

http://www.frontier.ac.uk/
Original post by Amphiprion
Most of them use the money to either fund their own projects, support advertising etc.

Frontier has some pretty solid looking projects from like £500 into the thousands depending on duration just use the search thingy top left to try and find yourself something relevant.

Funny you ask that as i asked the same. Apparently, and from what i can tell your fee and that can be into $2000 plus is for your accomodation, food, travel costs within country, some excursions included, mobile sim card, internet sims and usb device (with mine anyway) and all admin and support and training given by company - i get visits once a week for half a day which is nice plus 24hr support.

I hope this helps and to be honest if this was in uk or usa would be into tens of thousands!!

pm me for any info :-)
Reply 3
Original post by Bonafide
Hey,

I'm a first year undergraduate studying Law and I'm looking into volunteering abroad this summer. It's something I've always wanted to do and I feel now is the right time to do it.
There's just one problem... It's incredibly expensive!
I want to do it under the arms of an established organisation. But, I'm now having second thoughts due to the price. We're talking thousands of pounds in some cases! I just don't understand why it would cost so much? The lowest price I've seen was around the £500 mark, but even then, It was for a week in Spain doing agricultural work. Which isn't exactly what I had in mind.
I'm more than happy to pay for flights, and that's justifiable. But, what the heck would thousands of pounds cover?

I'm really keen to do some volunteering abroad but as the majority of people reading this will know, students aren't made of money!

Has anyone staggered across a cheap volunteering scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because you are doing it wrong.

You should be contacting charities directly. Sometimes they will even pay your accommodation and food costs.

If you like turtles there is a really lovely organisation on Boa Vista in Cape Verde where you can help out in hatching season. There are thousands of organisations like them worldwide too :smile:

Big organisations are generally just cash cows.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Amphiprion

Do not go with Frontier!!!

They are the worst organisation I have ever had the (Dis)pleasure of working with.

They pretend to be not for profit but aren't, their research is terrible, they don't treat their staff well and just UGH.

Would not touch them with a bargepole.
Original post by redferry
Because you are doing it wrong.

You should be contacting charities directly. Sometimes they will even pay your accommodation and food costs.

Big organisations are generally just cash cows.

I volunteer for a small ngo, its completely transparent and i can see exactly where my money is going although i am aware that some bigger ones are a little greedy etc.
Reply 6
Original post by rebirthlight
I volunteer for a small ngo, its completely transparent and i can see exactly where my money is going although i am aware that some bigger ones are a little greedy etc.

yeah smaller ones are generally very good :smile:

Some of the big ones though are basically just holiday companies.
Reply 7
Check out International citizen service its funded by Dfid, and its pretty much the best overseas volunteering you can do, as you get to do some very useful projects.
Can't you just get a flight to a poor area in wherever and offer them help? I'm sure they would be willing to put you up with board and food in exchange. Never understood why people go through big organizations especially for the prices they charge. Or maybe post on some kind of international forum? Ask if anyone can put you in touch with people who need assistance?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
It's to pay for all the local professionals to come along each night or at the end of your 'project' and redo all the 'work' you voulenteers have attempted to do.
yeah smaller ones are generally very good :smile:

Some of the big ones though are basically just holiday companies.

for anyone interested its http://www.sunshinesocialwelfare.org

and yeah - for sure their are not bad ones as such BUT some are basically as you said!

Either way, travelling around schools and orphan homes etc makes my heart burst with love for these kids and so ive loved evry minute etc
It's expensive because the big volunteer organisations are basically holidays for rich kids, and the market will support high fees.
Original post by ManifoldManifest
It's expensive because the big volunteer organisations are basically holidays for rich kids, and the market will support high fees.

To be fair most of the people ive met here, young and old seem pretty well off and so to some extent i agree with you, although ive met some who paid MUCH more than me for a similar experience etc, but then they have no money issues etc.
Original post by Reue
It's to pay for all the local professionals to come along each night or at the end of your 'project' and redo all the 'work' you voulenteers have attempted to do.

If only these programmes actually supported jobs in the local community rather than simply undermining the local job market. Because who needs to pay a manual labourer trying to feed his family when Tarquin is willing to work for free?
Reply 14
Original post by Darth Stewie
Can't you just get a flight to a poor area in wherever and offer them help? I'm sure they would be willing to put you up with board and food in exchange. Never understood why people go through big organizations especially for the prices they charge. Or maybe post on some kind of international forum? Ask if anyone can put you in touch with people who need assistance?

Yeah this is basically what I was saying!
Reply 15
Original post by PythianLegume
If only these programmes actually supported jobs in the local community rather than simply undermining the local job market. Because who needs to pay a manual labourer trying to feed his family when Tarquin is willing to work for free?

This isn't so true for conservation work where the locals are to terrified of the wildlife to study it and occasionally hack it to paces. You have to have a mix of locals and non-locals on that sort of project.

It can be done wrong but again, it can be done right as well. For example if people are subsistence farmers if they take time out to build a school or their crops will die. In these sorts of scenarios they need a hand. For a lot of these companies though what you have said definitely rings true.
This isn't so true for conservation work where the locals are to terrified of the wildlife to study it and occasionally hack it to paces. You have to have a mix of locals and non-locals on that sort of project.

It can be done wrong but again, it can be done right as well. For example if people are subsistence farmers if they take time out to build a school or their crops will die. In these sorts of scenarios they need a hand. For a lot of these companies though what you have said definitely rings true.

Oh, I absolutely know that it can be done right. It's often difficult to find out which ones are doing it right, though.
Reply 17
Original post by PythianLegume
Oh, I absolutely know that it can be done right. It's often difficult to find out which ones are doing it right, though.

So true. My boyfriend volunteered with a really good organisation in Madagascar, but it wasn't cheap. It was expensive mainly because of the sheer cost of getting there and back though and the fact they do a lot of infrastructure projects where they pay the locals to help etc.

But I was impressed by the education meets conservation way that they did things, they tied things in really well between social and ecological impacts.

(the organisation was Azafady for anyone interested)

Aaand then there's people like Frontier.
this website offers free/low-cost volunteering opportunities in South America that help the local communities: http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net :smile:
WorldwideHelpers has a list of free or extremely cheap volunteering experiences, so I'd recommend having a look at their site. ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending