The Student Room Group

Asbergers diagnosis - what to do now?

Hello

I had my Asbergers diagnosis last week, and they agreed that I did in fact have Asbergers syndrome. I should be getting my diagnosis letter in the next week or so. I have already applied to university, however, as I wasn't diagnosed at the time, I couldn't enter anything to do with my disability on the UCAS form or anything like that. I was wondering what I should do now, I was thinking of ringing up the university and speaking to someone there about it so support is in place as soon as I start, but I'm not sure whether I should speak to the disabled students association service there, or whether I should speak to my subject school at the university. Also, I am not sure whether I should apply for D.S.A or not, I have read about it on the internet, and I saw it on the student finance form but I haven't sent off my student finance form yet. Also, do I write on my student finance form that I have been diagnosed? (I have not sent off my student finance form yet)

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by jupitershadow

I had my Asbergers diagnosis last week, and they agreed that I did in fact have Asbergers syndrome. I should be getting my diagnosis letter in the next week or so. I have already applied to university, however, as I wasn't diagnosed at the time, I couldn't enter anything to do with my disability on the UCAS form or anything like that. I was wondering what I should do now, I was thinking of ringing up the university and speaking to someone there about it so support is in place as soon as I start, but I'm not sure whether I should speak to the disabled students association service there, or whether I should speak to my subject school at the university.

If you contact anyone it will be the disability service. They have the expertise. What you'll probably need to do is discuss things with the disability service, then they will make recommended reasonable adjustments and arrange support with your department and other areas of the university (e.g. exam concessions with whoever deals with examinations). If you contact your department they'll probably just refer you to the disability service.

Also, I am not sure whether I should apply for D.S.A or not, I have read about it on the internet, and I saw it on the student finance form but I haven't sent off my student finance form yet. Also, do I write on my student finance form that I have been diagnosed? (I have not sent off my student finance form yet)

From what I remember, you need to give details on the DSA1 form (the form used to apply for DSA). These details will be an overview of your condition (in other words state that it is Asperger's) and the date it was last assessed (so the date of the assessment). You will need to provide evidence, in this case the psychologist's report.
Reply 2
Original post by River85

From what I remember, you need to give details on the DSA1 form (the form used to apply for DSA). These details will be an overview of your condition (in other words state that it is Asperger's) and the date it was last assessed (so the date of the assessment). You will need to provide evidence, in this case the psychologist's report.

This is right. I think they also ask about how your disability affects your study. (ie, organisation, concentration, note taking, etc)
Reply 3
Original post by jupitershadow
Hello

I had my Asbergers diagnosis last week, and they agreed that I did in fact have Asbergers syndrome. I should be getting my diagnosis letter in the next week or so. I have already applied to university, however, as I wasn't diagnosed at the time, I couldn't enter anything to do with my disability on the UCAS form or anything like that. I was wondering what I should do now, I was thinking of ringing up the university and speaking to someone there about it so support is in place as soon as I start, but I'm not sure whether I should speak to the disabled students association service there, or whether I should speak to my subject school at the university. Also, I am not sure whether I should apply for D.S.A or not, I have read about it on the internet, and I saw it on the student finance form but I haven't sent off my student finance form yet. Also, do I write on my student finance form that I have been diagnosed? (I have not sent off my student finance form yet)

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you

You have nothing to lose by applying for DSA. It can be done separately to your main student finance application.

Also, depending on how your disability affects you. You may also be entitled to PIP and/or ESA (these are both disability benefits). Check them out, do a google search.

Quick Reply

Latest