The Student Room Group

What is the process of getting a diagnosis with ADHD by the NHS as an adult?

I'm 19 and in UNI thinking of going to the NHS to see if I have ADHD. I heard the waiting lists are terrible, but when the time comes, what is the process like? How much did it cost?
I wish I could tell you but I've been on a waiting list for an autism diagnosis for over 2 years and still haven't heard anything
Reply 2
Original post by Nice_100
I'm 19 and in UNI thinking of going to the NHS to see if I have ADHD. I heard the waiting lists are terrible, but when the time comes, what is the process like? How much did it cost?

Often at least 18 months wait time and if you go private you risk receiving an invalid or unreliable diagnosis. We often get individuals coming into our sevice with a prior private diagnosis for support and on investigation we do not accept the diagnosis due to flaws in how it is carried out. There are of course brilliant private assesors out there but be careful and do your own research before considering it (if you do).

Regarding ADHD unless your problems are significant (severely limiting your everyday functioning, so failed relationships, inability to do everyday tasks, careers etc), the NHS are unlikely to add you to the wait list (may add but would not be a priority). Its not to dismiss someones difficulties but ADHD is a disorder, so you can have all the symptoms and not meet criteria if you are not disordered by this. Hope this makes sense.

Good luck,

Greg
Reply 3
Original post by jisvngxstay
I wish I could tell you but I've been on a waiting list for an autism diagnosis for over 2 years and still haven't heard anything

That is horrible...I am so sorry...yh I think Im gonna go private then.
Reply 4
I went to the GP for a referral in the summer I'm 20 first year and struggling with assignments - barely passing - handing late. I've now asked for 'Right to Choose' which fast tracks your referral and you can get it done private - but for free paid by NHS. Hopefully it works out for all of us.

Quick Reply

Latest