The Student Room Group

Particle Physics A level help

Hello,
I'm currently a GCSE student and I'm looking for a bit of help choosing my A levels. Basically, I've decided that my aim is to do a particle physics masters at a university but I'm having trouble deciding on what I should choose.

GCSE grades aren't to much of an issue, having gotten A's and B's mainly. I'm expected an A* in maths and am resitting physics for an A*. I don't know what subjects to do at sixth form in order to be able to do a particle physics degree.

My current choices are physics, maths, further pure maths and history. Also, for anyone who did a physics degree and further pure maths A level, has it been helpful (as in for the degree itself as well as making you look good when applying) or was it not really worth doing?
Original post by ChanE
Hello,
I'm currently a GCSE student and I'm looking for a bit of help choosing my A levels. Basically, I've decided that my aim is to do a particle physics masters at a university but I'm having trouble deciding on what I should choose.

GCSE grades aren't to much of an issue, having gotten A's and B's mainly. I'm expected an A* in maths and am resitting physics for an A*. I don't know what subjects to do at sixth form in order to be able to do a particle physics degree.

My current choices are physics, maths, further pure maths and history. Also, for anyone who did a physics degree and further pure maths A level, has it been helpful (as in for the degree itself as well as making you look good when applying) or was it not really worth doing?

Further Maths is very important for Physics first year. Would you consider taking AS Chemistry instead of History?
Reply 2
Original post by Galileo Galilei
Further Maths is very important for Physics first year. Would you consider taking AS Chemistry instead of History?

I wasn't sure if I would end up giving myself way to much to work on as I've heard the 4 of them are all extremely hard subjects. I'm not a slacker but I'm just worried I might hit my limit if I chose all 4 of them, whereas I personally find history a fun subject, just not something I could do for a degree of anything. Would adding chemistry make me more presentable when applying for uni and make the degree easier to ease into?
Original post by ChanE
I wasn't sure if I would end up giving myself way to much to work on as I've heard the 4 of them are all extremely hard subjects. I'm not a slacker but I'm just worried I might hit my limit if I chose all 4 of them, whereas I personally find history a fun subject, just not something I could do for a degree of anything. Would adding chemistry make me more presentable when applying for uni and make the degree easier to ease into?

I argue that Chemistry would make you more appealing to some unis.
You technically only need maths and physics then the other subjects can be anything "difficult". I did Maths, Phys, Chem, Eng Lit and Welsh Bacc(compulsory) at AS then Maths, Phys, Eng Lit at A2. I applied for straight Physics at Manchester, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool and Birmingham and got offers from Lancaster, Leeds and Liverpool, rejection from Birmingham then an offer for a foundation year at Manchester instead.
I wasn't able to take further maths and asked at a couple unis. They basically said that it would be really useful but that the first year is to bring everyone up to the same level anyway so doing further maths would just make the first year maths slightly easier.

Maths, Phys, Further Maths and History sound completely fine if you want to do those subjects. If you're only doing further because you think it will help you but it's making you skip another subject you want to do then maybe rethink. If you're doing further because you want to then go ahead :smile:
Original post by ChanE

History is not easy work-wise. At least, everyone I know who does history has to do at least as much work as for sciences. Maths, FM and physics are definite good choices, and chem might look better, but really for your fourth you want something that you'll do best in, to make you look better overall.
Reply 6
Original post by flyyoufools

Maths, Phys, Further Maths and History sound completely fine if you want to do those subjects. If you're only doing further because you think it will help you but it's making you skip another subject you want to do then maybe rethink. If you're doing further because you want to then go ahead :smile:

Aside from chemistry, are there any subjects that you could recommend? Not English because I'm not that great at it but yeah, thanks. I'm doing further maths because I think it would be really helpful even if I change my mind and my dad did it as well, and I reckon it would be something I would enjoy. But I may consider changing it, I'm just curious.
Reply 7
Original post by William Turtle
History is not easy work-wise. At least, everyone I know who does history has to do at least as much work as for sciences.

I did well in my history GCSE, achieving a high A by the end of it. If I'm good at a subject and enjoy it so wouldn't mind the workload that much, would that be good enough for when it comes to applying to uni I would still look good?
Original post by ChanE
Aside from chemistry, are there any subjects that you could recommend? Not English because I'm not that great at it but yeah, thanks. I'm doing further maths because I think it would be really helpful even if I change my mind and my dad did it as well, and I reckon it would be something I would enjoy. But I may consider changing it, I'm just curious.

Chemistry was horrible so honestly I wouldn't recommend it unless you really loved it :P Other subjects they would probably be okay with would be Geography, Biology, Religious Education, Music or any language. Basically, avoid anything 'soft' like Health&Social. Technology/Design is a bit on the fence depending on the uni. They're the only ones I can think of right now :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by flyyoufools
Chemistry was horrible so honestly I wouldn't recommend it unless you really loved it :P Other subjects they would probably be okay with would be Geography, Biology, Religious Education, Music or any language. Basically, avoid anything 'soft' like Health&Social. Technology/Design is a bit on the fence depending on the uni. They're the only ones I can think of right now :smile:

Okay, thank you! I think I'll stick with what I chose in this case. :smile:
Original post by ChanE
I did well in my history GCSE, achieving a high A by the end of it. If I'm good at a subject and enjoy it so wouldn't mind the workload that much, would that be good enough for when it comes to applying to uni I would still look good?

History would be fine really. Chem might give you more of a background in the behaviour of electrons - in that sense, you actually do more subatomic physics in chemistry A level than physics A level. You could well look marginally better with chemistry, but if you have a good personal statement, and do well in interviews, it won't matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending