The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Perhaps the people who voted for 'Oxbridge Offer' just aren't particularly avaricious? I wouldn't know what to do with the money if I got that much and would probably continue my life as I do now; I can't so much as think of anything I would like for birthdays/christmas so the money would be of little use.

The question strikes me as being somewhat ambiguous in that it fails to give the circumstances and conditions. Is it simply the case of 'in this box is an unconditional offer to oxbridge; in the other is a million pounds', in which case the unconditional is undeserved and you would probably end up dropping out of university eventually as you wouldn't be good enough. Alternatively, does it mean 'what would you prefer to happen to you: getting an unconditional offer from oxbridge (by going through the normal system), or winning a million pounds?'

In that latter case, you would also be outrageously intelligent and be, I assume, on course for a top 1st and later on, maybe even top prizes in your field which would probably gain you more than £1 million.

So it really depends. :p:
Why would someone gain a top first just because they go to Oxford, not everyone at Oxford gets a first. Nor do they go on to be millionaires

Seriously, you cannot think of things to do with the money? Wow. I know i would give some to family members, pay off my mums mortgage and send her and my dad on a holiday. And heck have one too. Go to uni, get into no debt. Travel for a bit, teach in a few places gain a bit of work ex, do some post grad study and become and education psychologist with a nice house.

Yep. I so want to win the lottery.
Reply 82
XxJaninexX
Why would someone gain a top first just because they go to Oxford, not everyone at Oxford gets a first. Nor do they go on to be millionaires

Seriously, you cannot think of things to do with the money? Wow. I know i would give some to family members, pay off my mums mortgage and send her and my dad on a holiday. And heck have one too. Go to uni, get into no debt. Travel for a bit, teach in a few places gain a bit of work ex, do some post grad study and become and education psychologist with a nice house.

Yep. I so want to win the lottery.

Obviously; I'm not totally naive. But I'm not talking about getting an offer, I'm talking about getting an unconditional offer. I can't say I've ever heard of anyone ever getting one.

No, not really. And I'm not spoilt or anything like that (I don't get given any kind of allowance and basically live off the money I get when no one knows what presents to give me :p:). I might buy a computer and maybe some new books, but that's all... I don't like holidays and don't care about a 'nice house'.
No matter what people say about uni , Your still never guaranteed a job at the end
Unconditional @ Oxbridge!! Then sell it for £2,000,000 to a stupid rich person
Reply 85
Dystopia
Alternatively, does it mean 'what would you prefer to happen to you: getting an unconditional offer from oxbridge (by going through the normal system), or winning a million pounds?'

In that latter case, you would also be outrageously intelligent and be, I assume, on course for a top 1st and later on, maybe even top prizes in your field which would probably gain you more than £1 million.

So it really depends. :p:

That's the way i viewed it hence why i chose the oxbridge offer. In other circumstances i would have chose the money.
Reply 86
hmm.. people who chose the oxbridge offer really need to get a life... going to Oxbridge is not the be all and end all.. it's really not all its cracked up to be.. you wouldn't catch me applying. There are plently of other very good universities and ones where you might have a better time. You people need to get some perspective.. and they say oxbridge candidates are clever.. hah!
Lisaanne
hmm.. people who chose the oxbridge offer really need to get a life... going to Oxbridge is not the be all and end all.. it's really not all its cracked up to be.. you wouldn't catch me applying. There are plently of other very good universities and ones where you might have a better time. You people need to get some perspective.. and they say oxbridge candidates are clever.. hah!

Did you not see my reason?
One of the main reasons for going to ANY uni in the first place (nevermind Oxbridge), is so that when you leave, you can get a good job/career.

Why do you want a good job?
Answer: because you want to earn good money.

Why do you want money?
Answer: to live a good life.

Therefore, by winning a million quid, you will cut the hard work of uni out, be debt free, and free to do what ever you want, and not have to get a job. Sorted.

The lottery option is so much easier, and you'd only reject itfor the Oxbridge offer if you wanted to 'prove' yourself academically.
Reply 89
Win lottery, donate half to chosen university, happen to get in? :rolleyes:

If I had to choose, I would probably take the offer :biggrin: Educational wealth is greater than monetary wealth.
Reply 90
1987 College Guy
One of the main reasons for going to ANY uni in the first place (nevermind Oxbridge), is so that when you leave, you can get a good job/career.

Why do you want a good job?
Answer: because you want to earn good money.

Why do you want money?
Answer: to live a good life.

Therefore, by winning a million quid, you will cut the hard work of uni out, be debt free, and free to do what ever you want, and not have to get a job. Sorted.

The lottery option is so much easier, and you'd only reject itfor the Oxbridge offer if you wanted to 'prove' yourself academically.

Some people learn for the sake of learning.
Reply 91
henryt
Win lottery, donate half to chosen university, happen to get in? :rolleyes:

If I had to choose, I would probably take the offer :biggrin: Educational wealth is greater than monetary wealth.

But why must the former come in the form of a place at Oxbridge? There are many other unis and with the free time you get from not having to work, you can study if you are that way inclined
The money please. Wouldn't choose to apply to Oxbridge anyway, definately not for me!! Would rather go to a different university and have the money/
I'll have the £1m and go to LSE thanks. :biggrin:

Now a harder question to ask: 1 million pounds or a first class degree from Oxbridge from a subject of your choice....
Still, the money. You didnt earn degree, you would be able to cope in related jobs etc.
XxJaninexX
Still, the money. You didnt earn degree, you would be able to cope in related jobs etc.

True. Though if it was 2 million that would make it even easier. :p:
Reply 96
1 million quid cuz a university can't make you rich...it's what you do and how you do it...not where you do it

people who beleive they're made because they're at oxbridge are slaves to the system...those who beleive they can make it anywhere are the ones who succeed in life

people who say oxbridge is guaranteed to get you a mil need to grow up and check reality! lol u need more than just good brains to get paper
Athena
I'd take the offer. There's more to life than money (and no, I'm not rich/a toff). Some people like studying. Some people want to be the best in their field. University isn't necessarily a subordinate aim - it can be an end too, and for a lot of people, myself included, that means Oxbridge. Yes, a lot of universities are similar (such as Durham) but they are NOT the same. And I'd quite like the chance to be stretched by some of the best in the UK, rather than coasting through a different universitiy's course or sitting on my backside watching my money accumulate interest. I don't think a million would make me happy - I don't even think it's that much money anyway.

okkkk
Dystopia
Some people learn for the sake of learning.

As I said, some people would take the oxbridge offer to 'prove' themselves academically. Ergo, 'Some people learn for the sake of learning':rolleyes:
Reply 99
I'd take the money, provided I still have my offer from LSE (or an institution that I regard to be of similar calibre). :yy:

That'd be a very good deal!!

(Else, I'd take the offer, thank you very much.)

Latest

Trending

Trending