The Student Room Group

Cambridge - UMS in modules

Hi, I am thinking of applying to Cambridge for 2015 entry and was just wondering, do Cambridge just generally look at UMS % across all the modules whether they involved exams/coursework, or do they put more weighting on the modules where exams are taken?

I'm just kind of worried because my coursework marks are not that great for biology - I got a high B. I'm more of an exam person than coursework.
Reply 1
Generally overall UMS for AS levels. Average applicant had 88% average over four AS levels. Average successful applicant had 93% over four subjects.

I was at a Chemistry lecture a few weeks ago and that's what the admission tutor said! As long as you get very high UMS for exams, it should even out to around 90% for bio which I say is decent for Cambridge - but try to get higher in other subjects!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Dylann
Generally overall UMS for AS levels. Average applicant had 88% average over four AS levels. Average successful applicant had 93% over four subjects.

I was at a Chemistry lecture a few weeks ago and that's what the admission tutor said! As long as you get very high UMS for exams, it should even out to around 90% for bio which I say is decent for Cambridge - but try to get higher in other subjects!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for getting back to me!

Oh okay, that's great to hear ( for me anyway :wink: )

So they don't look at individual module UMS, just the overall?
Reply 3
Original post by nk96
Thanks for getting back to me!

Oh okay, that's great to hear ( for me anyway :wink: )

So they don't look at individual module UMS, just the overall?

There's nothing that says they won't, but they probably care more about the overall UMS.
They look at overall UMS. I got high 90s in a few modules, but low 90s too bringing my overall average down.
Reply 5
Original post by nk96
xxx

They do look at individual UMS for every module, you have to submit them for your SAQ and they see it when you send in a photocopy of your results as proof.

I doubt they'd put too much weighting on practicals compared to written exams but they are included in average UMS scores I think so can bring UMS down.

On the other hand, guy in my year got a place at Clare for engineering with decent UMS overall but a D in his physics practical..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Dylann

Posted from TSR Mobile

They were a bit out of date there.
July 2013:
"In the last admissions round the average Cambridge applicant scored about 90 per cent on this measure, while the average successful Cambridge applicant scored nearer 95 per cent."

Having said that there are people who fall outside of these averages and details of why they dropped in UMS are important. Practicals count for less than written in the final assessment but NatSci & science applicants tend to have higher UMS than Arts students.
A "B" in a practical is not a reason for not applying.
Reply 7
Original post by Colmans
They were a bit out of date there.
July 2013:
"In the last admissions round the average Cambridge applicant scored about 90 per cent on this measure, while the average successful Cambridge applicant scored nearer 95 per cent."

Having said that there are people who fall outside of these averages and details of why they dropped in UMS are important. Practicals count for less than written in the final assessment but NatSci & science applicants tend to have higher UMS than Arts students.
A "B" in a practical is not a reason for not applying.

Possibly, unless the %'s they stated was for the NatSci courses rather than all courses put together.
Reply 8
I wouldn't worry about just one (relatively) lower UMS score in a single module. They will be assessing your entire application, they understand you're a human being and make mistakes sometimes.

For example my average UMS hovered around 90% but in French I got one really bad score that was like 1 mark into the A (think I got 64/80) and I still got in. I also got a U in my EPQ and had retaken Year 12 as the first time I got ABBB.

They aren't looking for perfection, but do the best you can and apply. Let them worry about it ^_^
I got an offer with a B in a physics practical (albeit the rest were As)
Reply 10
Original post by JJaacckk
I wouldn't worry about just one (relatively) lower UMS score in a single module. They will be assessing your entire application, they understand you're a human being and make mistakes sometimes. <br />
<br />
For example my average UMS hovered around 90% but in French I got one really bad score that was like 1 mark into the A (think I got 64/80) and I still got in. I also got a U in my EPQ and had retaken Year 12 as the first time I got ABBB.<br />
<br />
They aren't looking for perfection, but do the best you can and apply. Let them worry about it ^_^
<br />
<br />

Original post by Colmans
They were a bit out of date there.<br />
July 2013:<br />
&quot;In the last admissions round the average Cambridge applicant scored about 90 per cent on this measure, while the average successful Cambridge applicant scored nearer 95 per cent.&quot;<br />
<br />
Having said that there are people who fall outside of these averages and details of why they dropped in UMS are important. Practicals count for less than written in the final assessment but NatSci &amp; science applicants tend to have higher UMS than Arts students.<br />
A &quot;B&quot; in a practical is not a reason for not applying.
<br />
<br />

Original post by Mike_123
I got an offer with a B in a physics practical (albeit the rest were As)
<br />
<br />

Original post by Razer_M
They do look at individual UMS for every module, you have to submit them for your SAQ and they see it when you send in a photocopy of your results as proof.<br />
<br />
I doubt they'd put too much weighting on practicals compared to written exams but they are included in average UMS scores I think so can bring UMS down.<br />
<br />
On the other hand, guy in my year got a place at Clare for engineering with decent UMS overall but a D in his physics practical.. <br />
<br />
<font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>
<br />
<br />

Thanks everyone - useful answers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending