The Student Room Group

37year old male and 22 year old female. Can it work?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Just interested, why is this guy so much better than men around your age? :frown: I believe relationships work best when 2 people have similar interests / way of thinking in life, the way you describe this guy sounds like there's no equality and he's better .. :frown: you don't deserve that!
Original post by cookie95
Just interested, why is this guy so much better than men around your age? :frown: I believe relationships work best when 2 people have similar interests / way of being in life, the way you describe this guy sounds like there's no equality and he's better .. :frown: you don't deserve that!

Hes more mature than men my age, has his feet firmly on the ground, knows what he wants and hes kind. Hes every definition of a gentleman and thats not something you find very often, especially in my generation.
Reply 42
Original post by noobynoo
Which one are you? The 37 year old male or the 22 year old female? Wait there.. I'll try and work it out from your posting history...

If this was a real situation, the op would most likely be the girl- "sherlockfan". You do not get many 37 year old males who are Sherlock fans....
Original post by Lakesx
If this was a real situation, the op would most likely be the girl- "sherlockfan". You do not get many 37 year old males who are Sherlock fans....

oh well done :holmes:
Original post by Ronove
I would say the guy would be far too bothered by her lack of intelligence and life experience. At least if she were his age she would have that shared background of life stage and life experiences to make up for the gap in intelligence. Just no.

Why is this so important?

Perhaps it's my lack of long lasting relationships but i'm 25 and to date I've never found a girl lacking life experience a problem. When i was working before coming back to education i had no problem dating college girls, why would life experience affect the ability of the relationship to last.

Surely it's more important that you like her for who she is, that she'll laugh at your jokes and that you can sit down together in the evening watching the big bang theory or a movie.

TSR seems obsessed with life experience and having things in common though as being fundamental things in a relationship. I've always gone for certain personality traits and humour as being more important though.
Original post by Rakas21

Perhaps it's my lack of long lasting relationships but i'm 25 and to date I've never found a girl lacking life experience a problem. When i was working before coming back to education i had no problem dating college girls, why would life experience affect the ability of the relationship to last.

Surely it's more important that you like her for who she is, that she'll laugh at your jokes and that you can sit down together in the evening watching the big bang theory or a movie.

TSR seems obsessed with life experience and having things in common though as being fundamental things in a relationship. I've always gone for certain personality traits and humour as being more important though.

thanks
he does have far more romantic/ sexual experience than me though..dont know if it would be a problem.
Reply 46
Original post by sherlockfan
oh well done :holmes:

Why thank you dear Watson ...:biggrin:
Reply 47
Original post by Rakas21

I'm talking more of being at different life stages and therefore wanting different things out of the relationship and being interested in very different things (and I'm talking from experience).
Original post by Ronove
I'm talking more of being at different life stages and therefore wanting different things out of the relationship and being interested in very different things (and I'm talking from experience).

I don't know if men want very different things but in my experience teenage girls are just as pro commitment as girls in their twenties.
Reply 49
Original post by Rakas21
I don't know if men want very different things but in my experience teenage girls are just as pro commitment as girls in their twenties.

Are girls in their early twenties as pro commitment as a 37-year-old man? I'm not sure why you're comparing teenage girls and girls in their twenties.
Original post by Ronove
Are girls in their early twenties as pro commitment as a 37-year-old man? I'm not sure why you're comparing teenage girls and girls in their twenties.

I was just comparing people in my experience, ive no idea about middle aged.
Reply 51
Original post by Rakas21
I was just comparing people in my experience, ive no idea about middle aged.

Fair enough. The idea of marriage and children (as individual concepts) horrified me as a teenager and when I was in my early twenties. In the past couple of years I've got engaged and started to wonder whether I might like kids at some point. So maybe you're just expecting a change in perspective at the wrong time (even though I would still expect maturity level to change dramatically between teens and early twenties).
Original post by Ronove

I'm fine with commitment, if I could be with him it would be worth it. I dont know about children though, I dont think I could go through trauma.
Bump
I don't see that the age gap is in itself a problem, but their personalities might well conflict.
Reply 55
Don't be daft. It is highly unlikely to as the guy is aging and is running out of time so will want kids, on the other hand the very young adult will not and will want to get used to her body before it is violated. The man may also want to get married but the woman may just not be ready for that strong control by the guy.
Hes more mature than men my age, has his feet firmly on the ground, knows what he wants and hes kind. Hes every definition of a gentleman and thats not something you find very often, especially in my generation.

If I was your dad (if you have one) I would not allow this to materialize.

Original post by Ronove

There is very little difference between them. Some have the same mentality but had just grown bigger boobs.
Original post by BoBosus
Don't be daft. It is highly unlikely to as the guy is aging and is running out of time so will want kids, on the other hand the very young adult will not and will want to get used to her body before it is violated. The man may also want to get married but the woman may just not be ready for that strong control by the guy.

If I was your dad (if you have one) I would not allow this to materialize.

There is very little difference between them. Some have the same mentality but had just grown bigger boobs.

What if I was to say that I wanted to get married and have kids?
Luckily I am an adult and my dad has no authority over the matter.
Reply 57
What if I was to say that I wanted to get married and have kids?
Luckily I am an adult and my dad has no authority over the matter.

Well if you love your dad who has raised you for all your life and fed you and look after your mum when you were in her belly then you wouldn't say that....
It is still frowned upon, it is normal to go out with someone your age, you will age together and have more in common.
Original post by BoBosus
Well if you love your dad who has raised you for all your life and fed you and look after your mum when you were in her belly then you wouldn't say that....
It is still frowned upon, it is normal to go out with someone your age, you will age together and have more in common.

My parents actually have a similar age gap so he would be no one to disapprove, even if he did. But since you have such a poor view of women you probably think that an unmarried woman is the property of her father. Well I am not.
Reply 59
My parents actually have a similar age gap so he would be no one to disapprove, even if he did. But since you have such a poor view of women you probably think that an unmarried woman is the property of her father. Well I am not.

It is not control it is advice that can be taken for the good of you. What if you are raped by this older man? you will run to your dad crying and he will say 'I told you so silly girl' You must not let him any where near your private parts for a very long time until you can trust him enough to get married.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending