The Student Room Group

Optometry Students 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Original post by rkhan34
Ive not got my grades yet. School opens at 9. And hey congrats!

Thanks man hope it works our for u

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rkhan34
Bradford changed my course for unconditional biomedical sciences and thats not what i want to do.. Anyway i can do optometry now? Feel soo depresed

I'm sorry for the confusion and any upset caused. Please contact us on 03004562666 to find out what's going on with your offer. Best of luck and let me know if you need any further information or advice.
Original post by University of Bradford
I'm sorry for the confusion and any upset caused. Please contact us on 03004562666 to find out what's going on with your offer. Best of luck and let me know if you need any further information or advice.

What grades are Bradford looking at for Optometry in clearing?
Original post by ray96
Thanks man hope it works our for u

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got ACD... no chance to get into optom anymore.. :frown:
Original post by littleangel9914
What grades are Bradford looking at for Optometry in clearing?

We may sometimes consider students who don’t meet our normal entry requirements, but all applications are considered on an individual basis. Please call us on 0800 073 1225 regardless of your results, as we will be happy to speak to you about Optometry or any other courses that may be available to you. Best of luck!
Got into manchester uni 😃
Original post by rkhan34

Why not take a year out, resit the C/D and reapply for Optom? This isn't the end!
Original post by coolerthanbeans
Why not take a year out, resit the C/D and reapply for Optom? This isn't the end!

I tried really hard, if i take a gap year there is no guarantee i would get the grades, which then would be a waste of year
I got into Manchester!!!!! Yay!!
Reply 1089
Got into City!! :smile:
Original post by rkhan34
I tried really hard, if i take a gap year there is no guarantee i would get the grades, which then would be a waste of year

I know the feeling. Honestly, I know it may seem really crappy now, but I'd recommend a gap year and reapplying - here's why:

So last year, I had no idea what I wanted to do. I got ABB in my A2s. I had worked my ass off and was predicted AAA, so I was pretty disappointed. I hadn't applied to uni at all in Year 13 as my heart wasn't set on any particular career/subject even though I knew I wanted to do something sciencey. (This was before I discovered Optom)

I decided to take a gap year to get experience in different professions and see what I liked, and I wanted to resit those Bs and get them to As to widen my options. It was a tough decision because all my friends had applied to uni, and they knew exactly what they were doing and I was just there like :s-smilie: . But I knew I needed to take a gap year because I didn't want to apply for some random course I didn't care about just for the sake of going to uni.
In that gap year, the work experience I did made me realise how much I loved what Optometrists' did, and it came in handy when writing my personal statement.

So, as soon as September started last year, I studied my ass off. Again. I retaught myself modules, forced myself to do practice papers over an over until I was sick of them, and came in to school in May to resit those Bs, and today it paid off!
Believe me, it sucked not knowing if my gap year was gonna even pay off, and I've never cried so much in the space of one year from the stress of it all, LOL. But I'm so glad I did it.

So why take a gap year?
-You can improve your grades that you need for your course
-Can get additional work experience to make yourself stand out from other applicants (and the more work experience you have, the more likely you are to be accepted by a uni if you were to miss a grade)
- You can save up money for uni AND get additional work experience by getting a parttime job in an Opticians.

If Optometry is something you're deeply passionate about (sounds like it! :smile: )then I'd honestly recommend going down this route. Good luck with everything!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ellieroberts123
I got into Manchester!!!!! Yay!!

I got in as well , did you get an email from manchester uni itself?
Original post by rkhan34

I got A in maths C in bio and physics plus D* in business studies and a B in AS further maths and got into Manchester for optometry!!! So there is a chance
I got into Cardiff! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Same here! Well done!!:biggrin:
Original post by Daisy452
I got in as well , did you get an email from manchester uni itself?

I got into Manchester too! But haven't had an email from the uni! When do we find out about accommodation?
Original post by KristaKara
I got A in maths C in bio and physics plus D* in business studies and a B in AS further maths and got into Manchester for optometry!!! So there is a chance

Ive rang everywhere, they say the D in chemistry is pulling you back. manchester is not in clearing for optometry. And congrats!
I know the feeling. Honestly, I know it may seem really crappy now, but I'd recommend a gap year and reapplying - here's why:

So last year, I had no idea what I wanted to do. I got ABB in my A2s. I had worked my ass off and was predicted AAA, so I was pretty disappointed. I hadn't applied to uni at all in Year 13 as my heart wasn't set on any particular career/subject even though I knew I wanted to do something sciencey. (This was before I discovered Optom)

I decided to take a gap year to get experience in different professions and see what I liked, and I wanted to resit those Bs and get them to As to widen my options. It was a tough decision because all my friends had applied to uni, and they knew exactly what they were doing and I was just there like :s-smilie: . But I knew I needed to take a gap year because I didn't want to apply for some random course I didn't care about just for the sake of going to uni.
In that gap year, the work experience I did made me realise how much I loved what Optometrists' did, and it came in handy when writing my personal statement.

So, as soon as September started last year, I studied my ass off. Again. I retaught myself modules, forced myself to do practice papers over an over until I was sick of them, and came in to school in May to resit those Bs, and today it paid off!
Believe me, it sucked not knowing if my gap year was gonna even pay off, and I've never cried so much in the space of one year from the stress of it all, LOL. But I'm so glad I did it.

So why take a gap year?
-You can improve your grades that you need for your course
-Can get additional work experience to make yourself stand out from other applicants (and the more work experience you have, the more likely you are to be accepted by a uni if you were to miss a grade)
- You can save up money for uni AND get additional work experience by getting a parttime job in an Opticians.

If Optometry is something you're deeply passionate about (sounds like it! :smile: )then I'd honestly recommend going down this route. Good luck with everything!

I think im taking a gap year :smile:
Original post by JustaDreamer
Same here! Well done!!:biggrin:

YAY! Congrats! I shall see you there! :biggrin: Know any other TSR members going there?
:party::party:
Original post by rkhan34
I think im taking a gap year :smile:

Brilliant! I hope my post was useful, and if you ever have any questions about the application process or gap years or Optometry in general feel free to message me! :smile:

Good luck with the next year and I hope everything works in your favour!
YAY! Congrats! I shall see you there! :biggrin: Know any other TSR members going there?
:party::party:

Thanks! :woo: I remember there were definitely people on the thread saying they wanted to go to Cardiff!

Quick Reply

Latest