The Student Room Group

Im stuck with my CV? Help please!

Hi, I'm currently in year 9 and I'm applying for work experience in which I will be in Year 10. I am writing my CV and I am stuck. I am doing my Mathematics and Chinese GSCE a year early (my exam in 1 and half weeks!) and therefore by the time I do work experience I will have achieved a grade for these two subjects but I have to do this CV now where I do not know what grade I am going to get? Please help?

Also, do you have any tips on what I could include on my CV, since I don't have much experience yet?
Original post by cindy_2

You don't usually put your GCSE grades in a CV anyway, so that's not problem. You need to think what skills the employer is looking for and then work out examples where you have demonstrated that you have those skills. You will have to draw on your interests, sports, hobbies, clubs, societies, YE, DofE etc for examples you can transfer to the workplace.

Here's an example of my CV. This got me a summer internship so could prove useful, albeit I'm year 13.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by threeportdrift
You don't usually put your GCSE grades in a CV anyway, so that's not problem. You need to think what skills the employer is looking for and then work out examples where you have demonstrated that you have those skills. You will have to draw on your interests, sports, hobbies, clubs, societies, YE, DofE etc for examples you can transfer to the workplace.

I would say no GCSE grades are required once you've graduated from uni, but the OP is in school - if she leaves out her GCSE grades her qualifications section will basically be blank and an employer will wonder if she actually has any. I would say definitely list your GCSE's as they are your only qualifications. If you don't know the grade yet you can put something like "Pending June 2014", "Pending - Predicted A" or "Pending - Coursework Grade A" etc.

As for experience, it can be good if you have no paid experience to call the section 'Work-related experience'. Think of activities you've done and pick out any parts of them which could be relevant to the role you're wanting to do as work experience. If it's working for a local newspaper for example you could just have a bullet point list like so:

Work-related experience:

Jan 2014
Charity Bake-Off
- Prepared advertisements and posters for the event
- Persuaded teachers to take part and took lists of equipment they would need
- Handled petty cash from cake sales
- Helped count votes to decide the winning bake
- Wrote a report on the event for the school newsletter and photographed winners with their winning bake

Even though you may not have seen activities as work at the time (or indeed have been paid for them), you will still have needed to use a range of work-related skills to do them - they will not be expecting you to be very experienced at this stage so just highlight what you have done and what kind of skills you would be able to bring from that. Think sports, school events, open evenings, out of school activities, club memberships, etc. Good luck!
Original post by moutonfou
I would say no GCSE grades are required once you've graduated from uni, but the OP is in school - if she leaves out her GCSE grades her qualifications section will basically be blank and an employer will wonder if she actually has any. I would say definitely list your GCSE's as they are your only qualifications. If you don't know the grade yet you can put something like "Pending June 2014", "Pending - Predicted A" or "Pending - Coursework Grade A" etc.

It's just irrelevant clutter at the start of a CV when you should be making an impact. You just say

Studying for 10 GCSEs including Maths and English

Anything else is irrelevant or hypothetical.
Original post by threeportdrift
It's just irrelevant clutter at the start of a CV when you should be making an impact. You just say

Studying for 10 GCSEs including Maths and English

Anything else is irrelevant or hypothetical.

I do agree with keeping it brief. But even then I think it's important to make it clear you expect to do well if you do expect to do well. Even if just

Studying for 10 GCSEs including Maths and English and predicted C grade or above in all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending