The Student Room Group

Access course help required

Hi, I'm looking for information, I'm currently and electrician and I hate it!

ive been accepted onto an access to Heath courses but the interviewer said because I have a grade d in English I may struggle to get a place at uni.

I want ant to know your thoughts on this.

i want to become on ODP so just looking for people thoughts and opinions on the course and the access course, do they really get you into uni?

I don't want to do the course and never get into uni as I'll have to quit work and everything,

many thanks for for your help, atb Paul.
Reply 1
Most unis will insist on a minimum of GCSE Grade C English and Maths (or equivalent) as proof of a basic level of literacy and numeracy.

Access courses have previously been accepted as an equivalent, but I believe that this will not be the case from next academic year. Some colleges are now asking for those GCSEs before you are accepted for an Access course. As your interviewer has suggested, there's not much point doing an Access course for uni entry, if you'll be rejected by unis even if you pass it.

I suggest you go back to the college and ask for their advice. They'll have the latest info and will be able to tell you whether GCSEs are actually vital.
Often you will be able to sit your GCSEs on the course and/or do your key skills equivalents which are still being accepted by unis.

So it should not be a problem getting a place providing you sit exams for gcses/keyskllls while you do the course , talk to your college about this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for your thoughts, I'm going to see them at the open day on the 18th of june, I'm going to think about everything I need to know and get all the info possible,

I may not be able to start this year as I'm currently doing an apprenticeship and need to finish that before changing careers.

I'll go and do my gcse English again though and get myself a c then there can be no arguments,

Then I'll get back on the access course in 2015 and hopefully get some work experience and get into uni in 2016

Fingers crossed.
Reply 4
Does the college you are doing the Access course at not offer GCSE English?

If they did you may be able to do it alongside the Access course - just a thought.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Reply 5
Original post by gt459
Does the college you are doing the Access course at not offer GCSE English?

If they did you may be able to do it alongside the Access course - just a thought.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hi I did ask but they won't allow me to do both courses at the same time as it could overload me, I could do it at another college though if needed.

What's the chance of getting into uni if do this course? Does it really set you up ok?

Cheers.
Reply 6
Original post by Sparkypid
Hi I did ask but they won't allow me to do both courses at the same time as it could overload me, I could do it at another college though if needed.

What's the chance of getting into uni if do this course? Does it really set you up ok?

Cheers.

The chances of getting into uni is dependent on the amount of work you put in, the number of places available and the course you are applying for.

Me personally - I have been accepted into the University of Bristol to study Law this Oct. I was accepted by all 5 universities I applied to as well. Other people on my course have not been quite so lucky. Different unis, different admissions policies.

I'm sure if this is something you really want to do you can make it work. Maybe call the admissions office of the uni/unis you are thinking of and see what they think in regards to the English grade?

If you took the qualification a long time a go, it is possible they will only really take into consideration your most recent education. But like I said - it seems to differ uni to uni.
Reply 7
Trust their Guidance. I was an NUS dELEGATE,went to mature and Part time study zone conference then National Conference. What the main theme of Access and Mature Student discussions is the, "High Drop out of These Students".. its a National Problem.. So to address the issue ,tighter retrictions have come in to make the sucess rate higher and for Students to Understand the BIG difference in University study,the demands,challenges so preparation is key. I know as a 51 yr old with 2 teens the work/study balance is key.
I have alongside Student Council set up and researched Mature Students within our University ( A LOT DONE BY THE GUILD STAFF) WE now have a Mature Student Society,with HLC dept offering to promote Mature Students at Open Days producing a guidance leaflet with "Real students" on the liteature and beyond this an offer of circulating it around the Universitys other departments. Good Luck,preparation is the key..
Reply 8
Thanks for your help, I've been accepted to a different college now as well, who want to to do English gcse along side the access course, bit more work but should be worth it.

Hopefully everything goes to plan, need to get started on the next career, hopefully one I will enjoy. Cheers Paul.
Reply 9
Original post by Sparkypid

Cheers.

Access courses are specifically designed to prepare you for uni study. In that respect, they're more useful for uni than A Levels.

Unis recognise that Access courses have required a lot of commitment and they are a valued route into uni. There is a current TSR member who holds an offer from Cambridge based on her Access course results.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Thanks for the help,

i think im just worried that, I'm not sure I can do the course to a high enough standard to get the results that I need, then I'm worried I'll do it and never get into uni either,

its a big decision and it's a worry as it'll be 3/4 years working hard when I should have done it years ago.

Paul.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending