The Student Room Group

ToK Presentation? Need urgent help!

Hi I have my presentation coming up in 2 weeks. I have thought of a question and its along the lines of 'How does the media alter our political views?'
Now is that a good enough title? Or is it too broad? I have seen many titles starting with a real life question so I'm not even sure if my title is correct and in the right format. I have rough ideas to talk about but I'm unsure on how to conclude and start it. Any tips?

Also I will be doing my presentation in a pair however we chose to do 2 separate presentations, one of after another, it will be the same question however I will be approaching it from a political perspective whereas he will do it from a psychological one, is this fine?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm planning on doing my presentation in this format:
Bring up a example, eg the recent surge in votes for the UKIP party. Then discuss about the potential reasons behind that, and give my opinion on it. Then rinse and repeat with other examples like how the media chooses certain words when talking about political affairs and the connotations behind them.

Am I going in the right direction? If not could someone help me? And any more potential examples I could talk about? I'm worried I'm too focused on the real life examples and not enough on the actual analysis so any tips on to proceed with that?
Reply 2
Original post by Sherlockq
I'm planning on doing my presentation in this format:
Bring up a example, eg the recent surge in votes for the UKIP party. Then discuss about the potential reasons behind that, and give my opinion on it. Then rinse and repeat with other examples like how the media chooses certain words when talking about political affairs and the connotations behind them.

Am I going in the right direction? If not could someone help me? And any more potential examples I could talk about? I'm worried I'm too focused on the real life examples and not enough on the actual analysis so any tips on to proceed with that?

Do you have a sheet saying what you will be marked for?
I'm assuming this is for university? So it should be in your module handbook I believe.
I'm sorry I can't help with your actual presentation but you should rehearse it at least several times and Im guessing you already know not to read off the paper, make eye contact etc?
Reply 3
Original post by katbob
Do you have a sheet saying what you will be marked for?
I'm assuming this is for university? So it should be in your module handbook I believe.
I'm sorry I can't help with your actual presentation but you should rehearse it at least several times and Im guessing you already know not to read off the paper, make eye contact etc?

No, this is my ToK presentation (Theory of Knowledge), its part of my international baccalaureate course. And I'm in year 12. In terms of actually delivering the presentation in front of my class I have no problems, make eye contact, vary tone of voice etc...

What I need help on is the actual context of what to put in my presentation and whether the way I'm currently doing things is correct.
Reply 4
So any help advice anyone?
Reply 5
I would say look at previous ToK essay questions to make a good knowledge issue. I remember people in my class getting 18 for doing it on different perspectives of beauty.
Indicate what area of knowledge you're looking at and then look at the ways of knowing that you use to make your arguments. You could use real life situations using your own experience.
Looking and reading ToK essays might help you, I found that I understood what ToK was about after writing the essay. My teachers weren't very helpful and I didn't understand the point of the presentation when I did it. I think the more vague a title, the better you can explore different elements and make more points but that's just a thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending