The Student Room Group

Mature students - parents

Hi, I'm 28 coming back to uni. I have chosen Middlesex University Environmental Health course. I'm a parent of 5 moths old boy :-).
I'm looking for a mature students or students who have children to have a chat about how do they cope. I'm a bit scared. I have those bad days now, that maybe I shouldn't go...It would be nice to meet students in the same situation to get some advice and some good talk. Cheers
Reply 1
Definitely go for it <3
Original post by buksia
Hi, I'm 28 coming back to uni. I have chosen Middlesex University Environmental Health course. I'm a parent of 5 moths old boy :-).
I'm looking for a mature students or students who have children to have a chat about how do they cope. I'm a bit scared. I have those bad days now, that maybe I shouldn't go...It would be nice to meet students in the same situation to get some advice and some good talk. Cheers

Hey, I have two children who are 6 and 4! It is going to be hard but I've been told to write up a schedule of times for study, revision and family time and even some me time. We can do it :biggrin: Xx
Reply 3
Original post by buksia

I have just finished my first year studying Law, i'm 30 and have a 13 year old son. I'm sure he is not as much work as a five month old but challenging all the same! You are right to be a little bit worried uni is hard work however just keep reminding yourself of what a good example you are setting your son. You are doing a great thing don't ever forget that.
It's better to go for it and know for sure, especially if you feel confident enough about succeeding. It goes without saying, definitely plan well for childcare, though. If you have relations willing to help, then all the better.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!! I am also looking to go back into education. I am 21 and have a 22 month old son and am due to have a little girl on the 17th July!! So all systems go here! But i don't want having a family to stop me from achieving so I have just enrolled back into 6th form to study Maths and Business in the hope I will be able to go to uni after 2 years to study Maths and to then do my PGCE to become a qualified secondary school maths teacher! I am defo going to have to draw up a strict timetable for family time, study time and me time. Its going to be very hard, but if you can juggle study life with children and home life, you can do anything!!! Beat of luck to you!!!
Reply 6
Thanks guys! I've just submitted my application. It's a bit scary to go back to uni, but I'm doing that for my son and for a better life. Good luck to you guys as well. Xx
Well done, don't worry too much atm (the stress can come from sept lol).
Much respect to you and all in your situation.
I'm also nervous about studying with two young children, but have spent most of the past planning as much as possible and hope everything is in place.

You can't predict what life will throw at you during this time but hopefully it will all fly by as well as possible.
Original post by buksia
Thanks guys! I've just submitted my application. It's a bit scary to go back to uni, but I'm doing that for my son and for a better life. Good luck to you guys as well. Xx

Well done Hun, I'm doing mine through the open university so shall be challenging and most importantly rewarding afterwards we are all in the same boat we should make a thread parents going crazy during study :wink: ha ha! Good luck Hun i'll always be about so message any time. I'm starting mine in October eeek!! Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. I am mother for two boys and I do 3 A levels ( fast track-10h, normal-5h, plus support classes-4h) around 20h per week on normal college. I m the only one mature around teenagers and I m fine:smile:)The first couples of weeks were difficult. They didn't know how to behave when I am around, I didn't feel well. Now is summer holiday and...I miss them already. They asked me to go out together but I have kids in home and they need me. so I said no. But it's oki. We play in hangman together, papers, scissors, stone, etc. I feel surprised when the are speaking their teenage slang next to me, as is a lot French words sometimes, specially after exam but it's oki. I am not their mum. If I will pretend to be and will remained them to stop it they will hate me I am not old grumpy lady but I am still worried about University. People a little older but new teens and I know that the first couple of weeks will weird but once the first couple of weeks will pass will great.
Reply 10
Hi, I'm a mature student at 26 and I have a 2 year old and I'm due again in August with my 2nd. I am going back for my second year in October and looking forward to the challenge :smile:
Nursery funding is a god send, plus he loves nursery. I had him in 5 mornings a week and either Inlaws or hubby took care of him in the afternoons if I was at uni. I did all of my uni work in the mornings (or at uni) and that worked really well for me.
Organisation and planning helps a lot :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am going to find childcare difficult as we don't receive our timetable for the year until the first day of term so I have to wait till after my first day back at 6th form to try to find places for my 2 year old and my month old daughter. I think i will have more chance of finding a permanent place for both my children if I choose the ofsted registered childminders where they go to the minders homes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending