The Student Room Group

Household income issue

I am applying as a mature student with the following circumstances:
-I’m 24
-Have moved out of my parents this year, currently renting out
- my current income is 26500 a year
-parents annual household income is 30000

When calculating my maintenance loan it says i should add my own income to the household annual income of my parents, although I don’t live with them anymore. I ticked the box that says I’m living away from home and outside of London. Do I only put my parents annual income, do I only put my own income, or do I add both parents and my own income (although it’s unfair as I’m not living with them and I personally only have one income in my place)?
if there’s any details I have missed out of my circumstances then ask away. Thank you.
Original post by Michael Boom
I am applying as a mature student with the following circumstances:
-I’m 24
-Have moved out of my parents this year, currently renting out
- my current income is 26500 a year
-parents annual household income is 30000

When calculating my maintenance loan it says i should add my own income to the household annual income of my parents, although I don’t live with them anymore. I ticked the box that says I’m living away from home and outside of London. Do I only put my parents annual income, do I only put my own income, or do I add both parents and my own income (although it’s unfair as I’m not living with them and I personally only have one income in my place)?
if there’s any details I have missed out of my circumstances then ask away. Thank you.

Hi Michael,

If you're under 25, we don't class you as independent unless you have self supported for 3 year before the start of your course. If you haven't done this then we will need your parents income details to support your application. We don't take your income into it, unless your employer is releasing you to attend your course.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Michael,

If you're under 25, we don't class you as independent unless you have self supported for 3 year before the start of your course. If you haven't done this then we will need your parents income details to support your application. We don't take your income into it, unless your employer is releasing you to attend your course.

Thanks,
Claire

Hello,
Thank you for the swift response. I was confused by the fact that it does mention that I should include my own income when using the govt calculator. Not actually having to include my own income is great news, means I will afford to become a student. Next year I will turn 25, therefore I would class as independent, does that mean that from my second year of uni onwards I will receive slightly more maintenance loan? Thank you
Hello,
Thank you for the swift response. I was confused by the fact that it does mention that I should include my own income when using the govt calculator. Not actually having to include my own income is great news, means I will afford to become a student. Next year I will turn 25, therefore I would class as independent, does that mean that from my second year of uni onwards I will receive slightly more maintenance loan? Thank you

You need to be 25 before the start of the academic year, or we will need your parents income details again to support the application. The future years we won't ask for their income as you're over 25.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Great to know, thank you for all the information.
Great to know, thank you for all the information.

You're welcome Michael!
Have a nice day!
Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending