The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WesterosWildling
Depending on results, bradford Manchester Huddersfield central Lancashire. ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here I'm looking at Bradford, huddersfield, uclan, Nottingham and dmu.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joining the group here! I just started my first week of school as a year 13! Very excited! I'm studying the IBDP, with HL subjects: Biology Chemistry and Economics.

I'm not a local UK student but definitely considering to study there!

I currently have three universities in mind: KCL, UCL and Nottingham

I managed to volunteer at a hospital pharmacy during the summer. Talking and learning from the pharmacists and dispensers have really helped me decide on pursuing the career and understand what I'm getting into!

I also talked to a Y2 student in Nottingham during that volunteering experience. I do hear that it is a great university for pharmacy with great research reputation, but I hear that there isn't much diversity in the university...Lots of asian, especially Chinese students (The university has campuses in China and Malaysia) study there. I am from Asia, so I don't really want to study somewhere with more diversity...
Good luck everyone who have results tommorow!
Reply 43
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
Hi- I'm planning on applying for Pharmacy next year but I'm not totally sure how my personal statement will work due to what else I want to apply for! Also, I asked in every pharmacy (both local and large) and they don't take under-18, non-uni students so I have no work experience either. :s-smilie:

Anyway, my current choices:
1) Pharmacy- UEA
2) Pharmacy- Keele
3) Pharmacy- Bath/QUB
4) Natural Sciences- UEA
5) Biology and Computer Science- Keele

Yeah, I'm still pretty undecided! :tongue:

Don't worry about work experience too much, myself and a lot of people I know had no experience of working in Pharmacy but got into university fine. The universities recognise it can be hard for young people to organise, if you have it it's a big bonus, but its not essential. In your personal statement just make it clear you know about how a pharmacy is run, what services they offer, things like that. I talked about minor ailment schemes and being a great alternative to the GP.

And what's all this about Natural Sciences and Biology and Computer Science? If you want to apply for Pharmacy, apply for Pharmacy! No back-up plans, no nothing, your back-up plan IS Pharmacy.

Original post by oyin.k25
I've already researched and considered the consequences of choosing pharmacy as a backup plan. Although medicine is my first choice, i would be happy enough to do pharmacy as my career.

Please don't apply for Pharmacy if you're just "happy enough" to do it as a back-up. Find something else to do. Pharmacy is a vocation and unless it's your first choice, the thing you really want to do, then you ought to stay away. Why not keep your options open by doing a chemistry degree, or go into another field like law? Anything, just don't choose pharmacy.

Original post by edithykleung

I managed to volunteer at a hospital pharmacy during the summer. Talking and learning from the pharmacists and dispensers have really helped me decide on pursuing the career and understand what I'm getting into!

I also talked to a Y2 student in Nottingham during that volunteering experience. I do hear that it is a great university for pharmacy with great research reputation, but I hear that there isn't much diversity in the university...Lots of asian, especially Chinese students (The university has campuses in China and Malaysia) study there. I am from Asia, so I don't really want to study somewhere with more diversity...

Really good to hear you've got some experience early, make sure to emphasise that in your personal statement. I only got my first experience in a pharmacy 9 months after starting my degree haha.
You'll find a lot, if not all, MPharm courses have big asian student bodies. It's just one of these courses that attracts a lot of them. But there's a huge diversity on my course, a lot of Malaysians, but also Canadians, Lithuanians, Bulgarians, and I wouldn't focus on that too much :smile:
Durham University could be a good one to consider too, they look like they have a fantastically high standard of teaching and research.

And just to reiterate this again, Pharmacy is not a suitable back-up plan.
If you want to apply to Pharmacy as a back-up plan, forget it.
Only apply to Pharmacy if you're passionate and committed to it.
Reply 44
Original post by TB95
Don't worry about work experience too much, myself and a lot of people I know had no experience of working in Pharmacy but got into university fine. The universities recognise it can be hard for young people to organise, if you have it it's a big bonus, but its not essential. In your personal statement just make it clear you know about how a pharmacy is run, what services they offer, things like that. I talked about minor ailment schemes and being a great alternative to the GP.

And what's all this about Natural Sciences and Biology and Computer Science? If you want to apply for Pharmacy, apply for Pharmacy! No back-up plans, no nothing, your back-up plan IS Pharmacy.

Please don't apply for Pharmacy if you're just "happy enough" to do it as a back-up. Find something else to do. Pharmacy is a vocation and unless it's your first choice, the thing you really want to do, then you ought to stay away. Why not keep your options open by doing a chemistry degree, or go into another field like law? Anything, just don't choose pharmacy.

Really good to hear you've got some experience early, make sure to emphasise that in your personal statement. I only got my first experience in a pharmacy 9 months after starting my degree haha.
You'll find a lot, if not all, MPharm courses have big asian student bodies. It's just one of these courses that attracts a lot of them. But there's a huge diversity on my course, a lot of Malaysians, but also Canadians, Lithuanians, Bulgarians, and I wouldn't focus on that too much :smile:
Durham University could be a good one to consider too, they look like they have a fantastically high standard of teaching and research.

And just to reiterate this again, Pharmacy is not a suitable back-up plan.
If you want to apply to Pharmacy as a back-up plan, forget it.
Only apply to Pharmacy if you're passionate and committed to it.

Just because it's a back up plan, doesn't mean i won't like being a pharmacist. Pharmacy is just as important as any healthcare profession. Please don't assume that i chose pharmacy cos it's a suitable option for a plan b.
Just because it's a back up plan, doesn't mean i won't like being a pharmacist. Pharmacy is just as important as any healthcare profession. Please don't assume that i chose pharmacy cos it's a suitable option for a plan b.

Considering retail pharmacy is based on dispensing prescriptions GIVEN by doctors/dentists, I disagree.
Reply 46
Original post by alevelzzz
Considering retail pharmacy is based on dispensing prescriptions GIVEN by doctors/dentists, I disagree.

Ok then, that's your opinion. Don't pharmacists advise doctors/dentists on which drugs to prescribe?

I don't want to get into an argument here, I do like pharmacy, it's just a back up if I don't make it into medicine. I apologise if I offended anyone here. Sorry
Ok then, that's your opinion. Don't pharmacists advise doctors/dentists on which drugs to prescribe?

I don't want to get into an argument here, I do like pharmacy, it's just a back up if I don't make it into medicine. I apologise if I offended anyone here. Sorry

Not retail pharmacists, no. Consultant pharmacists do a **** tonne though
Hi there ,so I got my AS results today and they weren't was I was hoping as I got 3 C's in econmonics ,biology and chemistry . I was wondering as I plan to retake some exams that if I take up btec engineering level 3 which is equivalent to a full a level and complete it in one year and do a2 biology and chemistry alongside it and get predicted and A for chemistry and a B for biology and get a distinction for engineering , would I still be able to apply for pharmacy ??
Original post by alevelzzz
Not retail pharmacists, no. Consultant pharmacists do a **** tonne though

By 'retail', do you mean pharmacists working in independent pharmacies too?

Glad to see that you're at least acknowledging hospital pharmacists.
Original post by thegodofgod
By 'retail', do you mean pharmacists working in independent pharmacies too?

Glad to see that you're at least acknowledging hospital pharmacists.

yes

I've done work exp in a pharmacy, hospital and dental practice...
Might do it, but I think I'll be better off doing Biochemistry >.>
Original post by TB95

I definitely will! It's just I'm not exactly what else I should focus on writing in my personal statement. We have a counsellor at school that helps us out with UCAS and she went through my initial draft of my personal statement and she told me I have to start from scratch :frown:
Hi guys, i'm a year 12 (going to 13) student wanting to do pharmacy, I do Geography and Philosophy of religion as well as Chem and Bio, not sure which to drop or whether to do 4 A levels next year as I love P&R and got a high A in it this year but think Geography can be counted as a hard science that I can get an A in next year too, help!
Original post by AyCaramba
Hi guys, i'm a year 12 (going to 13) student wanting to do pharmacy, I do Geography and Philosophy of religion as well as Chem and Bio, not sure which to drop or whether to do 4 A levels next year as I love P&R and got a high A in it this year but think Geography can be counted as a hard science that I can get an A in next year too, help!

You need at least two sciences including Chemistry and at least another one like Biology, Maths, Physics. Very few rarely accept Geography. Therefore I'd drop Geography as you got a high A in P&R

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AyCaramba

As long as you have the 2 science subjects the 3rd can be either P&R or geography, for the 3rd subject it is the grades your predicted that out weighs the 'type' of subject it is so pick the one your more likely to get an A in.
Original post by ChloeB43
You need at least two sciences including Chemistry and at least another one like Biology, Maths, Physics. Very few rarely accept Geography. Therefore I'd drop Geography as you got a high A in P&R

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thanks
Original post by aka_Momo
As long as you have the 2 science subjects the 3rd can be either P&R or geography, for the 3rd subject it is the grades your predicted that out weighs the 'type' of subject it is so pick the one your more likely to get an A in.

I guess so, thanks
Reply 58
At GCSE I got 1A*, 6As and 4Bs and I got BCC for AS level English, Biology and Chemistry and I'm hoping to get a predicted grade of ABB. I also completed Work experience at a Hospital in London working in the ward with the consultants/pharmacists - What are my chances for Pharmacy/Pharmacology? And which unis would you suggest are the most suitable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Can I still apply for Pharmacy this year if I drop Biology and carry on with Maths, Chemistry and Spanish. I got BBBC in my AS levels, C in Biology will I have to resit a module to bring that grade up?
I'm really dissapointed with what I go as I was predicted 4As but I guess immense pressure made me crack.
What are the general predicted grades because I was worried if I take Biology on it'll bring down my predicted grade due to having a C at AS.
Does anyone know any good unis for Pharmacy as well, I know nottingham is really good but not sure about other unis.
Help please! Think that's the last of my questions haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending