The Student Room Group

Narrowly Missing IB Entry Requirements for Economics

Hey guys,

I'm an applicant from Singapore and have already completed my IB Diploma from a international school here. I'm currently serving two years of national service and will be applying to the UK this year to study Economics. I am planning to apply to LSE, Warwick, Bristol, Notts and Exeter. The first three universities in that list have listed a 6 in HL Math as an entry requirement for their Economics courses. (For LSE, Social Policy & Economics)

I scored 38/45 with a 7 in HL Economics, 7 in HL Physics but unfortunately a 5 in HL Mathematics. I found out that I was off a 6 by 2 marks! Does this disqualify me from all universities that require a 6 in HL Math? Can I show that I was extremely close to the boundary? Should I put it in my personal statement? My IGCSE results for Extended Math and Additional Math are A* and A respectively. Do these hold any value? I have also done SAT II's in Math and scored 770/800. Again, can these results be evaluated by the universities? Should I even bother applying for these courses?

Any answers or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Reply 1
First off, I have to give you props for the 7 in HL Physics, I know I wouldn't be able to do that in a million years.

Second, I'm afraid SAT II's won't be of help to you unless the school request the scores in your offer. To my knowledge, SAT II's are only considered if applying with AP's, typically they will not take them if you apply with IB and even then, there's no guarantee. I applied with AP's and only one of my schools accepted SAT II's (luckily my top choice!). I do think you could still be considered though, seeing as you got 7's in your other two HL's but I could be wrong...I would still apply but make sure your personal statement is stellar.
You can write directly to the Admissions Tutor for an opinion. They will be able to tell you whether you will be wasting your time or you will be likely to be considered. Better than speculating. And, Admissions Tutors are usually very helpful.
Reply 3
Since you were so close to a 6 in HL math, why don't you ask for a remark? I know it might be a bit unlikely for math grades to change, but maybe it's worth a shot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending