The Student Room Group

Is anyone going to protest for Palestine?! (In London or Birmingham)

What do you actually do at a protest?
Are you supposed to take anything with you??
Does it really achieve anything?

Oh btw for anyone interested

And the one in Birmingham. Today at 5.30pm outside Waterstones, High Street near to the Bullring, Birmingham City Centre B4 7SL.

The fact Israel are doing this during Ramadan is appauling, with them all fasting! But inshallah those who have been killed will be granted heaven.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katbob
What do you actually do at a protest?
Are you supposed to take anything with you??
Does it really achieve anything?

1. Walk around shouting and waving slogans.
2. Some people make banners, but you don't have to bring anything.
3. No.
Reply 2
Original post by tengentoppa
1. Walk around shouting and waving slogans.
2. Some people make banners, but you don't have to bring anything.
3. No.

Are you pro Palestine btw?

I take it youre not going then lol?
But surely its better than doing nothing? And at the end of the day the more people the more awareness?

I actually made this to promote both the protests. Its the best I can do atm.
It probably wont be very popular but hey, Im trying at least.
Reply 3
Bump
Original post by katbob

But surely its better than doing nothing? And at the end of the day the more people the more awareness?

I am pro-Palestine in that I think its sovereignty should be respected and in that I don't approve of Israeli settlement in Palestine or of the current Israeli bombardment.

I won't be going.

Awareness won't do anything. At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist Israel has the backing of the US and France, and the UK is very unlikely to do anything apart from condemn the violence and ask for a ceasefire.
Reply 5
I am pro-Palestine in that I think its sovereignty should be respected and in that I don't approve of Israeli settlement in Palestine or of the current Israeli bombardment.

I won't be going.

Awareness won't do anything. At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist Israel has the backing of the US and France, and the UK is very unlikely to do anything apart from condemn the violence and ask for a ceasefire.

Are you Muslim?

Have you ever been to a protest? If so, what was it about? Anything eventful happen during it? Did it result in anything happening after?

I think we all know no one can stop Israel doing what they want... But at least this will raise more awareness about what really is going in the world. And what these wars in Syria and Iraq were really about.
Plus the UK are currently trading with Israel and giving them a discount (which is meant for EU members only :rolleyes:) on the condition that they arent in violation of international laws. Which again they are.
So if we can put pressure of the UK government to stop this. At least it will make Israels life that tiny bit harder!
Original post by katbob
Are you Muslim?

Have you ever been to a protest? If so, what was it about? Anything eventful happen during it? Did it result in anything happening after?

I think we all know no one can stop Israel doing what they want... But at least this will raise more awareness about what really is going in the world. And what these wars in Syria and Iraq were really about.
Plus the UK are currently trading with Israel and giving them a discount (which is meant for EU members only :rolleyes:) on the condition that they arent in violation of international laws. Which again they are.
So if we can put pressure of the UK government to stop this. At least it will make Israels life that tiny bit harder!

I am no longer a Muslim.

I went to a few protests about Palestine. Nothing particulary eventful happened and the protest fell entirely on deaf ears.

I'm pretty pessimistic about these protests, given my past experiences. Nothing seems to change.
Reply 7
I am no longer a Muslim.

I went to a few protests about Palestine. Nothing particulary eventful happened and the protest fell entirely on deaf ears.

I'm pretty pessimistic about these protests, given my past experiences. Nothing seems to change.

Oh. Bombshell. :eek:
Do you mind me asking why?

You shoulda spiced it up abit... Got a tad aggressive?

Thats true, but surely small changes are better than no changes?
I am no longer a Muslim.

Shame

No one in this world dares to speak out against israel.
British people don't protest as much as say the French, as we're too afraid to voice our opinion in this dreadfully oppressed country.
Don't you people have anything better to do?

I won't be going for it as it isn't a cause I support, I do however support Israel's right to defend itself and till you live in a place where your neighbours constantly fires rockets at your house I doubt you'd understand.
Original post by Richard Dawkins
British people don't protest as much as say the French, as we're too afraid to voice our opinion in this dreadfully oppressed country.

No, we just know it'll be of ****-all use.

Name a single protest in the last 25 years that has worked...
Original post by katbob
Oh. Bombshell. :eek:
Do you mind me asking why?

You shoulda spiced it up abit... Got a tad aggressive?

Thats true, but surely small changes are better than no changes?

Don't believe in it anymore.

I don't think aggression would have helped, it would have made our message less persuasive.
Original post by katbob

It's not going to do anything because protests never do especially if doing it in England when it's happening in the Middle East Israel isn't going to notice and they'll just carry on bombing
Reply 14
Original post by Rorystheman
It's not going to do anything because protests never do especially if doing it in England when it's happening in the Middle East Israel isn't going to notice and they'll just carry on bombing

Have you seen the mass turnouts?
The upcoming ones at the BBC and downing Street are going to be huge.

The thing is if we keep this up, something HAS to be done. But tbh people just cba, it gets old after one or times for most people.

Not to mention no one will dare say anything against Israel, especially america.

All I'm saying is that can't anyone even be bothered to stand around for one and half hours (which they probably would just waste watching TV etc anyway) to try and make some kind of difference even if it is for the tiniest change???That change could improve millions of lives for the better, wouldn't that be worth it?
Original post by Drewski

In that south park episode when Canada protested and went on strike in order to get more money the Canadians won.
Reply 16
Original post by Marky Mark
In that south park episode when Canada protested and went on strike in order to get more money the Canadians won.

:rofl:

Original post by Drewski

Ghandi???

Original post by Alfissti
Don't you people have anything better to do?

I won't be going for it as it isn't a cause I support, I do however support Israel's right to defend itself and till you live in a place where your neighbours constantly fires rockets at your house I doubt you'd understand.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Richard Dawkins

Nope, we're just too lazy to. We are the fattest nation in the whole of Europe after all...
Reply 18
I'm not going to go out and protest as I imagine that would agitate people and disturb the accessibility of certain areas within london for something that will probably not have an impact on the cause

I do support the cause they are protesting about, just disagree with the perceived utility of such a protest
Original post by katbob
Ghandi???

Which part of "the last 25 years" confused you?

Quick Reply

Latest