The Student Room Group

Is 33 too old to go to Uni / become a teacher

Scroll to see replies

Remember that you will have a lot of experience on your side - an advantage to being a more mature student. The interviewers at the university I applied to were impressed with how I could apply my life experiences to why I felt I would be a great teacher. Travel, parenting, and full time work in an unrelated industry only contributed positively to my interview!
I'm about to turn 34 and starting a course this September. Once of my closest friends was about my age, or a bit younger, when she first started teaching (French), having completed her course (a degree equivalent - this was the 1980s) in her early 30s too. Then at 38 she undertook a BSc in Psychology and is now retired but Invigilates AS Psychology exam papers for a bit of pocket money. As she said to me and I'll pass on to you, we're still whippersnappers! (Just not as energetic whippersnappers as 20-somethings...)

I actually think it must be better to be an older teacher in Secondary education because I still remember the awfully hard time we gave our very young teachers at school and would hate to be in that position myself.
Reply 22
Well done me from seven years ago - you did it!
Original post by enihcam
Well done me from seven years ago - you did it!

Congratulations enihcam,
Can I ask what your career is now? Did you decide to be a teacher and how old where you when you qualified.
I'm thinking of going back to university as a mature student!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending