The Student Room Group

dept for university halls

Right any help is much appreciated!

In 2010 I was in Glasgow university halls and signed a contract for said accommodation. I moved out early from halls due to ill health. Moved into private accommodation (which turned out to be worse :frown: ) Eventually things got so bad I left university and returned to Wales. Anyway a year later I received a letter stating that I owed the accommodation office over a grand in accommodation fees. Now the early departure forms stated that I would be liable for the fees unless someone else took my room, I left uni or for extenuating circumstances. Well I left under medical reason and had 2 letter which stated this, gave a copy to the accommodation office then heard nothing more of it. until I started to receive letters from another company stating I owed the University of Glasgow this money. Well I ignored it like an idiot moved and heard nothing more. Then now 3 years later I've received a letter from Po box Northampton NN1 2TX Address to the "Defendant" I haven't opened it but have found out from Google that it's a possible court letter. Although there is nothing on my Experian credit file to state I owe this.
Basically I need some advice on what to do next. Shall I continue to ignore them or contact Glasgow uni and explain that I'm not willing to pay for accommodation I wasn't living in or contact the debt collectors. :confused:
Original post by Purpleshroom
Right any help is much appreciated!

In 2010 I was in Glasgow university halls and signed a contract for said accommodation. I moved out early from halls due to ill health. Moved into private accommodation (which turned out to be worse :frown: ) Eventually things got so bad I left university and returned to Wales. Anyway a year later I received a letter stating that I owed the accommodation office over a grand in accommodation fees. Now the early departure forms stated that I would be liable for the fees unless someone else took my room, I left uni or for extenuating circumstances. Well I left under medical reason and had 2 letter which stated this, gave a copy to the accommodation office then heard nothing more of it. until I started to receive letters from another company stating I owed the University of Glasgow this money. Well I ignored it like an idiot moved and heard nothing more. Then now 3 years later I've received a letter from Po box Northampton NN1 2TX Address to the "Defendant" I haven't opened it but have found out from Google that it's a possible court letter. Although there is nothing on my Experian credit file to state I owe this.
Basically I need some advice on what to do next. Shall I continue to ignore them or contact Glasgow uni and explain that I'm not willing to pay for accommodation I wasn't living in or contact the debt collectors. :confused:

Your reason for leaving is irrelevant, you signed a contract to pay unless you found a replacement which clearly you didn't. You need to contact Glasgow university and agree a repayment plan.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Your reason for leaving is irrelevant, you signed a contract to pay unless you found a replacement which clearly you didn't. You need to contact Glasgow university and agree a repayment plan.

They did eventually find a replacement and the waiting list for halls were massive. I left on MEDICAL terms and had the letters to prove this. ( doctors letter and personal tutor letter) In the contract it stated that I would be liable for the costs unless I could prove I was leaving on medical grounds or other such circumstances, Or leaving the University. Which I At the time I was seeking legal advice from the University student help service and they were building a case but this was almost 4 years ago, so I don't think they would still have these records. Anyway Glasgow have passed the "debt" over to several different companies and the latest one there doesn't seem to be any information on them. I Googled the address and it come up with a derelict building in Northampton ( I know I can't rely on google maps) but there doesn't seem to be any information on this company. I'm wondering if this is real... I ask just because it's been over 2 years since I heard anything then to get a random court letter from this company I've never heard of them, I have heard of bogus companies taking over debts and getting the person to pay then none of the money is used to repay the debt just line their pockets.
They did eventually find a replacement and the waiting list for halls were massive. I left on MEDICAL terms and had the letters to prove this. ( doctors letter and personal tutor letter) In the contract it stated that I would be liable for the costs unless I could prove I was leaving on medical grounds or other such circumstances, Or leaving the University. Which I At the time I was seeking legal advice from the University student help service and they were building a case but this was almost 4 years ago, so I don't think they would still have these records. Anyway Glasgow have passed the "debt" over to several different companies and the latest one there doesn't seem to be any information on them. I Googled the address and it come up with a derelict building in Northampton ( I know I can't rely on google maps) but there doesn't seem to be any information on this company. I'm wondering if this is real... I ask just because it's been over 2 years since I heard anything then to get a random court letter from this company I've never heard of them, I have heard of bogus companies taking over debts and getting the person to pay then none of the money is used to repay the debt just line their pockets.

if it says you wouldn't be liable for the costs unless you left on medical grounds then you need to remind the university and kindly ask them to stop passing on your details.
You need to open the letter first before you start assuming it is a court letter. It is unlikely you would be taken to court for such a small amount. So open the letter and find out what it is.
Reply 5
yeah, I've been trying all day to get hold of them on the phone, been passed around several different people then hung up on! :mad:. Now waiting on an email from them! Found out the company is real. It a small claims court in Northampton so I'm sorting this out once and for all! Spoken to citizens advice too and They basically said the same thing. The only thing I don't have to back me up is a copy of my contract :frown: I have everything else mind, including a copy of the notes and early leavers form. ARRGH this is something I don't need right now!!
Reply 6
Original post by DiddyDec
You need to open the letter first before you start assuming it is a court letter. It is unlikely you would be taken to court for such a small amount. So open the letter and find out what it is.

I have and its a letter to set up a CCJ for the balance of £1483.96 from the University of Glasgow. currently trying to get hold of the uni to try and sort this out! I would be willing to pay them if I thought I was in wrong but I'm not as far as I was aware, it hand been sorted out back in 2010 :frown:
I have and its a letter to set up a CCJ for the balance of £1483.96 from the University of Glasgow. currently trying to get hold of the uni to try and sort this out! I would be willing to pay them if I thought I was in wrong but I'm not as far as I was aware, it hand been sorted out back in 2010 :frown:

It seems very strange that they would wait 4 years to contact you. Just keep phoning them and try and find all your documents. Once you have them, scan them and send them to Uni, so that they can see your proof.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending