The Student Room Group

What are your main worries about starting university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Novascope
Falmouth, Cornwall. When I went there for my interview, I only saw two black people around the uni, the in town none haha. Yeah Surrey doesn't have many I think.

I'm off to norwich and there isn't much black people too.

Are you nervous around white people or you just feel comfortable with black people?
Original post by OnionRing
I'm off to norwich and there isn't much black people too.

Are you nervous around white people or you just feel comfortable with black people?

Oh Norwich is lovely, I was there for a week 2 weeks ago haha.

I'm not nervous around white people at all, I have a lot of white friends here at home, and I'm attracted to white guys too. But to go to a black where there's hardly any black people I am a little nervous because there are things I can't do and say you know?

-Oh and I don't mean saying anything rude, like I mean I won't be able to joke, have conversations about things only black people know about. I won't have any traditional meals, nobody to style my hair etc haha.

I'm not nervous around white people at all, I have a lot of white friends here at home, and I'm attracted to white guys too. But to go to a black where there's hardly any black people I am a little nervous because there are things I can't do and say you know?

-Oh and I don't mean saying anything rude, like I mean I won't be able to joke, have conversations about things only black people know about. I won't have any traditional meals, nobody to style my hair etc haha.

Yeah I totally understand what you mean, especially the hair part. Do you know if there are barbers for black people in norwich? Never been to a white or Asian one before :/
Yeah I totally understand what you mean, especially the hair part. Do you know if there are barbers for black people in norwich? Never been to a white or Asian one before :/

We did pass a barbers called Black & White funnily enough haha, the barbers looked Latino, and they had a black customer so? haha

Lol this is my worry too. I'm going to the University of Portsmouth and I'm worried there will be no barbers in the area haha
There's already a thread about this on the first page.. :judge:
I'll be going into second year, but once again it's mainly the worry of being not up to scratch so to say compared to everyone else.
Original post by Keep it real
Lol this is my worry too. I'm going to the University of Portsmouth and I'm worried there will be no barbers in the area haha

Black people problems :tongue:

so basically you can't keep saying the n word and joke about chicken? how convenient.
Really though, I know how you feel, in areas where there aren't man black people there could also be racism around but there will also be a lot of respect too :cool:
Original post by Livingaway
so basically you can't keep saying the n word and joke about chicken? how convenient.
Really though, I know how you feel, in areas where there aren't man black people there could also be racism around but there will also be a lot of respect too :cool:

A lot of respect? Explain this please:smile:

I don't get why black people say the n word I think it's stupid of them tbh.
Original post by Livingaway

No haha, I never say the n word thanks, oh and I hardly eat chicken :smile:
I'm a pretty strong minded person so I think I can handle racism, although I was reassured by some of the student ambassadors that it hardly happens at the uni, and if it did there'd be loads of support anyway. Plus apparently most of the people love the black students anyway haha
No haha, I never say the n word thanks, oh and I hardly eat chicken :smile:
I'm a pretty strong minded person so I think I can handle racism, although I was reassured by some of the student ambassadors that it hardly happens at the uni, and if it did there'd be loads of support anyway. Plus apparently most of the people love the black students anyway haha

Haha may I ask why they love black students instead of white or Asian??
Haha may I ask why they love black students instead of white or Asian??

Not saying they love black people more... The ambassadors I spoke to were white themselves and they said I have nothing to worry about because the black students seem to get along very well with everyone.
- Moving 5/6 hours away from home.
- Not knowing anyone
- Going to a place where there's hardly any black people.

Where are u from?
Original post by ashiajade
Where are u from?

London :smile:
Reply 54
- Meeting people. I have social anxiety, and I'm scared that I'm going to be living with people that won't like me or understand me because I'm quiet.
- Finding the course difficult. Not understanding anything.
- Starting uni with no hair (long story, but it will eventually grow back)
- Not being able to afford anything! I'll have to be strict with my money, as I'm usually more of a 'spender' rather than a 'saver'.
- Missing my dog.
-Moving away and ending up hating it.
-Being in halls with people who are unpleasant
-Realising I've chosen the wrong halls/course for me
-Having my anxiety hold me tightly and not let me do anything

Anyone else going to Reading Uni who shares these worries?
-People thinking I'm a creep and staying the hell away from me :nooo:
-Being stuck with annoying people in halls.
-Ending up hating my course.
-Having my birthday during freshers week :colonhash:
Reply 57
Original post by Missyeln213

That should be pretty sick tbf, assuming you let your flatmates know, and you drink :tongue:
Original post by Missyeln213
-People thinking I'm a creep and staying the hell away from me :nooo:
-Being stuck with annoying people in halls.
-Ending up hating my course.

My birthday is on the closing day of Freshers...
Reply 59
My main worries are

- People, I'm trying to defeat social anxiety and university will be tough because I'm scared I won't make friends with the right people who I feel comfortable being myself around

- Worried about the course since I'm not the brightest spark and lectures sound difficult to follow

- Money, I don't think I have enough to eat let alone go out which means I have even less of a chance of making friends

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending