The Student Room Group

Oxbridge

Hello! I've recently got my AS results with 3 As and a C, I got A*s and a few As at GCSE and I started wondering if I had what it takes to get to Oxbridge. I play three musicals instruments and have been a member of the UK youth parliament for 2 years. I was wondering if anyone knew if that was roughly what Oxbridge would want from a candidate. I intend to study music & have done a lot of extra curricular music events such as musical theatre, running a choir and organising a charity concert.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I think there alot of threads about oxbridge in the forums which are worth reading. The requirements change massively over the different courses. What I would reccomend is to look on to the oxford and cambridge websites in the undergraduate section for what degree you want to do and the requirements they ask for and then work form there. There will probably extra tests and exams you might need to do i.e step you have to do for maths i don't know about music) It's worth talking to your teachers when you get back to school if you feel you have a chance of getting in. they'll be the ones who arrange the exams and will help you with the interview process if you get an interview
Your grades are a little lower than the average candidate (who would have AAAA) but music is a less competitive course and you appear to be above their entry requirements, so you may have a chance. Do you know if you would prefer Oxford or Cambridge? Cambridge looks more at AS grades (% UMS) whilst Oxford is unconcerned with AS %'s but asks for high GCSE grades.
Reply 3
I would prefer to go to Cambridge at the moment, but would be open to both of course! Do you know if both of them look at predicted grades for A level exams? If so what do they look for? Thanks for the reply :smile:
Original post by IzzyFP1806
I would prefer to go to Cambridge at the moment, but would be open to both of course! Do you know if both of them look at predicted grades for A level exams? If so what do they look for? Thanks for the reply :smile:

Yes, they both look at predicted grades - Oxford slightly more so than Cambridge. They want predicated grades of AAA+ but more realistically A*AA+. With your AS grades those predictions shouldn't be a problem!
Reply 5
Thank you very much! That's very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IzzyFP1806
Thank you very much! That's very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries, I'm glad I could help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest