The Student Room Group

Studio flat in London - how much would I pay on utility bills?

I am faced with maybe renting a studio flat in west London for ~£600 PCM and this DOES NOT include any bills.

However, it will be a small flat, I will be there on my own, and I wont be using surplus electricity or gas (I.E. the flat probably only has 1 lightbulb).

So including stuff like Council Tax, would I be able to budget for £800 per month exc food?

If not, then how much?

I will never be earning more than £1000 per month, so it's getting bloody annoying to keep living with my mum.
(edited 9 years ago)
Any ideas?
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Any ideas?

Depends which borough you are in, if possible gun for Wandsworth as it has dirt cheap council tax, a fact made even better by the fact it's a lovely part of South West London.
Original post by Paulwyn
Depends which borough you are in, if possible gun for Wandsworth as it has dirt cheap council tax, a fact made even better by the fact it's a lovely part of South West London.

I am dead set on the London Borough of Hillingdon, specifically Uxbridge.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I am dead set on the London Borough of Hillingdon, specifically Uxbridge.

Actually thinking about it I don't think you pay council tax if single occupancy, worth contacting the council to check though.
Original post by Paulwyn
Actually thinking about it I don't think you pay council tax if single occupancy, worth contacting the council to check though.

Single Occupant Discount gives a 25% reduction to council tax.

OP: Are you absolutely set on a studio? Given your budget limitations you might find it more feasible to rent a room in a shared house - rents tend to be lower, and landlords often include some of the bills in the price. Spending 80% of your income on rent and bills is a really bad idea, if you can avoid it.

(If you don't mind my asking, why is it that you'll never be earning more than £1000 a month?)
Original post by ManifoldManifest
Single Occupant Discount gives a 25% reduction to council tax.

OP: Are you absolutely set on a studio? Given your budget limitations you might find it more feasible to rent a room in a shared house - rents tend to be lower, and landlords often include some of the bills in the price. Spending 80% of your income on rent and bills is a really bad idea, if you can avoid it.

(If you don't mind my asking, why is it that you'll never be earning more than £1000 a month?)

Supermarket work. :frown:

And yeah I think studio flats are safer to live in, because you have card entry, whereas a flat is much more dangerous to break ins and crime.
More research has given me a figure of around £30 per month for electricity and £30 per month gas, and about £15 per month on water.

If my flat doesn't have gas, then take that cost away.

So would I be right in saying a studio flat in London would cost around £75 month utility bills, on top of the £525 per month rent?

Quick Reply

Latest