The Student Room Group

The friendzone DOESN'T exist (My opinion)

I've heard this so many times (and i've used the phrase myself) but as time goes on i i've learnt that this mystical friendzone doesn't exist and is a thing made up by guys; all they are effectively saying "This girl won't have sex with me"

It's a pit guys put THEMSELVES into, as stated in the video by Daniel women don't say "i've been put in the friendzone" in fact in my life i've only ever head it once from a girl

Now here is the kicker most of the time the reason why guys get so called 'friendzoned' are down to one or two simple factors:

1) Girls have this initiate ability to almost foresee whether the guy is going to work out well, i've been told countless times (although found no academic research to prove or disprove this) women decide if they want to date a guy within the first 10 seconds of being introduced to a guy, so if the guy doesn't give off the right impression, then tough

2) Now this factor this the one that most guys are guilty of (including myself) THEY DO NOT SHOW THEIR INTERESTED, if a girl does not get the idea your interested in her, she is never going to see you more as a friend, learn to have a bit of backbone, don't put her on a pedestal and do EVERYTHING she asks - now i'm not saying be an arse; never be an arse, but have an opinion on things. For gods sake FLIRT! you may think buying a girl gifts will win her heart, and although this may work to a certain extent, we arn't in a fairytale (although do wish we were at times) a women isn't going to date you cos you buy her things (and if she does, imo thats not a keeper) women LOVE confidence in a guy, also have what a friend of mine calls a "Sexual Spine" be cheeky, but don't overdo it

And to prevent a steamroll of "How do i build confidence" that is a question only you can answer yourself, but i do offer some generic advice; do what you love regardless of what people think, if you're a guy and love ballet and want to learn to dance ballet, go ahead; confidence is built, never given, no-one can GIVE you confidence, build up for yourself, you may find it in the unlikeliest of places (for me it was a combination of Dancing, Singing and being naturally cheeky)

Anyway this is only my PERSONAL OPINION on this area, like i said i've been victim of everything aforementioned in this thread, if you disagree with hat i said that's fine, to quote Guru Kid from Recess "Blame not the advisor if one takes the advice, do we all not have the freewill to do as we choose"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

1) Girls have this initiate ability to almost foresee whether the guy is going to work out well, i've been told countless times (although found no academic research to prove or disprove this) women decide if they want to date a guy within the first 10 seconds of being introduced to a guy, so if the guy doesn't give off the right impression, then tough

^^You just described the friend zone.
I think 'friend zone' is a term someone made up to make friendship sound cool or dangerous or something
I think the "friendzone" is a word for the things you've described, which fits fairly well.
The main problem is when people use it to imply that girls/women are bad for doing it. No... If a woman decides when first meeting you that she isn't attracted to you, that's just how it goes. That doesn't make them bad, or make them a bitch for being your friend and caring about you even though they are not attracted to you.

SOME women are bitches, however, and I think it's getting mixed up between these two things that creates the confusion. Women who lead someone on when they aren't actually interested, on purpose, they are wrong.
The reason birds never get friendzoned is because they're the gate-keepers, they call the shots! You just have to look at it from a physical standpoint. They can only physically have one kid at a time, whereas a bloke can spread his seed as much as he pleases! This doesn't require any scientific rigour, just simple logical reasoning!

Sorry to kill your thread/ideas. But not really!
i completely agree with you!
with basically everything you just said. :yy:
Reply 9
The friendzone has a very clear definition. though made up, people who fit the description are clearly "friend zoned" (seen it quite a few times)

Yea you are right some people lack confidence and are terrible flirts so girls "friend zone them" quickly.
But having good looks, high confidences and are good at flirting increases the chance of success but people like that can still get rejected and placed into the friend zone, confidence etc. does not guarantee success

So yea your tryna tell people to stop whining and get some balls which is cool but that doesn't mean the friend zone doesn't exist
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nmanvi
The friendzone has a very clear definition. though made up, people who fit the description are clearly "friend zoned" (seen it quite a few times)

Yea you are right some people lack confidence and are terrible flirts so girls "friend zone them" quickly.
But having good looks, high confidences and are good at flirting increases the chance of success but people like that can still get rejected and placed into the friend zone, confidence etc. does not guarantee success

So yea your tryna tell people to stop whining and get some balls which is cool but that doesn't mean the friend zone doesn't exist

Never said being flirty would give you success just that a lack of flirting normally ends in being "friendzoned"
This post. I like it.

What's even more annoying is people using 'friendzone' as an verb, like it's something you do deliberately to hurt someone. You can't make someone attracted to you. End of story Works both ways. I've liked guys who just see me as a friend and that's just how it is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Never said being flirty would give you success just that a lack of flirting normally ends in being "friendzoned"

all of what you said is true

Other than stating the friend zone doesn't exist
Original post by guppygould
The reason birds never get friendzoned is because they're the gate-keepers, they call the shots! You just have to look at it from a physical standpoint. They can only physically have one kid at a time, whereas a bloke can spread his seed as much as he pleases! This doesn't require any scientific rigour, just simple logical reasoning!

Sorry to kill your thread/ideas. But not really!

Your expertise in ornithology is certainly impressive
Friendzone most definitely exists. :lol:
I've heard this so many times (and i've used the phrase myself) but as time goes on i i've learnt that this mystical friendzone doesn't exist and is a thing made up by guys; all they are effectively saying "This girl won't have sex with me"

It's a pit guys put THEMSELVES into, as stated in the video by Daniel women don't say "i've been put in the friendzone" in fact in my life i've only ever head it once from a girl

Now here is the kicker most of the time the reason why guys get so called 'friendzoned' are down to one or two simple factors:

2) Now this factor this the one that most guys are guilty of (including myself) THEY DO NOT SHOW THEIR INTERESTED, if a girl does not get the idea your interested in her, she is never going to see you more as a friend, learn to have a bit of backbone, don't put her on a pedestal and do EVERYTHING she asks - now i'm not saying be an arse; never be an arse, but have an opinion on things. For gods sake FLIRT! you may think buying a girl gifts will win her heart, and although this may work to a certain extent, we arn't in a fairytale (although do wish we were at times) a women isn't going to date you cos you buy her things (and if she does, imo thats not a keeper) women LOVE confidence in a guy, also have what a friend of mine calls a "Sexual Spine" be cheeky, but don't overdo it

And to prevent a steamroll of "How do i build confidence" that is a question only you can answer yourself, but i do offer some generic advice; do what you love regardless of what people think, if you're a guy and love ballet and want to learn to dance ballet, go ahead; confidence is built, never given, no-one can GIVE you confidence, build up for yourself, you may find it in the unlikeliest of places (for me it was a combination of Dancing, Singing and being naturally cheeky)

Anyway this is only my PERSONAL OPINION on this area, like i said i've been victim of everything aforementioned in this thread, if you disagree with hat i said that's fine, to quote Guru Kid from Recess "Blame not the advisor if one takes the advice, do we all not have the freewill to do as we choose"

Look, I get it, seriously. I'm really tired of being collectively told off all over the internet about this. Also the friendzone, isn't only about men befriending a girl to hopefully get in her pants. It's basically a guy(this can apply to females awell) finding his female friend attractive and wanting a relationship, but sadly the female friend doesn't share the same feelings; only seeing said guy as a friend. It most certainly exists.

Secondly, I not sure what you're saying in your first point, but I'd say it's more girls not finding you sexually attractive at all, meaning you're unlikely to ever go further with her, not some innate ability to know if a guy would work out or not. And as for your second point, well I've tried the direct approach and it nearly always ends in rejection(I'm not very good looking), which is why I thought is was better to befriend a girl first(so she gets to know me), but obviously I know that it is a bad idea now.
(edited 9 years ago)

good advice:smile:
if yeh werent anon id add yeh
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Your expertise in ornithology is certainly impressive

I'm a human and since we we talking about inter-human relationships I thought it would be obvious I wouldn't be talking about relationships of the avian variety. If you were confused: nmfp
Original post by Ajibola
Look, I get it, seriously. I'm really tired of being collectively told off all over the internet about this. Also the friendzone, isn't only about men befriending a girl to hopefully get in her pants. It's basically a guy(this can apply to females awell) finding his female friend attractive and wanting a relationship, but sadly the female friend doesn't share the same feelings; only seeing said guy as a friend. It most certainly exists.

Secondly, I not sure what you're saying in your first point, but I'd say it's more girls not finding you sexually attractive at all, meaning you're unlikely to ever go further with her, not some innate ability to know if a guy would work out or not. And as for your second point, well I've tried the direct approach and it nearly always ends in rejection(I'm not very good looking), which is why I thought is was better to befriend a girl first(so she gets to know me), but obviously I know that it is a bad idea now.

Is this a bad thing? Isn't that just called, you know, being friends? What's the big deal? In the end, it's just an ego thing. People need to get over themselves and come to terms with the fact that not everyone will be into them and if someone isn't, that's their prerogative.

As for your second point, what is "the direct approach"...? I would think that befriending someone and seeing if there is mutual interest later is the best way to go.
(edited 9 years ago)
You want a solution? It is simple. You don't get friendzoned if you only use girls for sex and if you are the one not showing interest. Also, if you spend your life building your looks, money, status up instead of chasing girls, they tend to naturally gravitate towards you. Ok, my advice sounds a bit harsh, but whatever, it works.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending