The Student Room Group

Completely stuck on my Personal Statement - Sociology Course

I am 22 and looking to apply for a Sociology course. I am completely stuck on my personal statement, I really enjoyed Sociology at college but since I've left I've just been in full time employment. I have done nothing that really proves me to passionate about Sociology or to move towards HE. I just feel my personal statement doesn't have much substance. Is there anyone who could provide some help on what direction I should be going with for my statement. Thanks in advance
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
When I was writing my personal statement, my teacher always advised me to try to find links between my chosen subjects to different areas of my life. She told me that it doesn't have to be all about your academic background, but rather your choices and the reasons for why you do those certain things.

Does your work link to sociology? Even if it may not seem like it, I'm sure you will find small links because sociology is the study of social behaviour and society - the world we live in. Even if your field of work does not directly seem "sociology-related," perhaps you can talk about what working in such an environment made you think or feel. Or how much it made you realise that you have this passion to learn more about it.

Hoped that helped and I'm sorry if it didn't! My best advice would be to really think about why you chose sociology out of all the subjects and courses in the world. Make the universities believe and see what sociology means to you, and make them how there is no other subject you would rather devote your time to. Don't just write things like, "I've always been passionate about it ever since I was young," or something generic like that. Stand out by showing how much you love sociology.

Good luck!
Read about sociology and write about the books. Link you discoveries from books with real life.
What areas of sociology interest you? Education, Race and ethnicity, gender equality etc... Start there and then, as aforementioned link it to aspects of your life!
Hope that helps!
Do some extra reading for Socciology and put that in your personal statement. Outline what books you read and what you learned from them! Additionally, you could also discuss your college course and do a simialr thing. If you are able to do it talk about your full time employment and link it to the course that you are applying for, talk about the skills that it equipped you with which would make you a good candidate for university. You also could talk about Extra Cirricular activities and do a similar thing, talk about what you do in your free time and link it to your course in some way? :smile:
Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending