The Student Room Group

How to get a reference?

Say I want a reference from my high school or sixth form, but I don't have any of my teachers numbers/emails. Will they have already written a reference for me. And how did you get your references for a job. Thanks in advance.
Draft an email to the teacher asking if they'd give you a reference, and then send it to the school office email (will be on the website of any school) and ask them to forward it to the teacher in question.
Reply 2
Original post by moutonfou
Draft an email to the teacher asking if they'd give you a reference, and then send it to the school office email (will be on the website of any school) and ask them to forward it to the teacher in question.

Could I just give one of my teachers email address to a potential employer without asking for permission from my tutor at sixth form? I assume they've wrote references for everyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is rude, ring the sixth form up and ask for the email address of said tutor and mail them and ask if it's ok first.
Original post by FeelingDepressed
That is rude, ring the sixth form up and ask for the email address of said tutor and mail them and ask if it's ok first.

I agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by FeelingDepressed

Ok but I need the reference tomorrow I will notify him but if he says no...

Also would he have already written a reference for me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Will he have already written a reference for me because he's probably forgotten who I am.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not at my college they wouldn't have, with 240 pupils per year, writing references on the off chance someone may want one in the future would be far too time consuming, also references are written to match the person and how they are suited to what the reference is for.

If I were you I would ring first thing, explain the urgency and ask graciously whether they can assist.

Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
What if nobody is responding as I have requested a reference but no reply. I need someone permission by tomorrow. Will this ruin my chances of getting the job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
What if I can't get a reference. Has this ruined my chances of getting a job. As application deadline is tomorrow...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qr95
What if I can't get a reference. Has this ruined my chances of getting a job. As application deadline is tomorrow...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Put 'Details to follow' on the form. Then get yourself organised. When you ask someone to act as your Referee, to write a reference for you, you are asking them to do a favour for you, and take some degree of professional risk, by saying to an employer 'Yes, this person is worth employing in my opinion'. That means you are responsible for asking them in a timely manner. As it happens, most employers only take up references with the person they offer the job to, so it doesn't affect applications before that point.

Referees don't have pre-written references, they wait for the employer to contact them asking for a reference for you - the employer will say what they want. They need to be asked in advance though, because if they don't feel they can give you a decent reference, you want the opportunity for them to tell you, not tell an employer directly!
Reply 11
Original post by threeportdrift
Put 'Details to follow' on the form. Then get yourself organised. When you ask someone to act as your Referee, to write a reference for you, you are asking them to do a favour for you, and take some degree of professional risk, by saying to an employer 'Yes, this person is worth employing in my opinion'. That means you are responsible for asking them in a timely manner. As it happens, most employers only take up references with the person they offer the job to, so it doesn't affect applications before that point.

Referees don't have pre-written references, they wait for the employer to contact them asking for a reference for you - the employer will say what they want. They need to be asked in advance though, because if they don't feel they can give you a decent reference, you want the opportunity for them to tell you, not tell an employer directly!

Thanks. Thankfully everything is sorted now just in time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending