The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea vs. Cardiff

I'm a student in the US planning on studying abroad for the spring semester in Wales. I'm having a hard time choosing between Cardiff and Swansea University and I was wondering if anyone had advice or pros and cons on one vs the other. I am a junior studying engineering. I'm looking for a school that has a good night life, beautiful campus, and a town/city with good food/things to do, etc. Can someone tell me the overall atmosphere between the two universities?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much!

-A
Reply 1
Original post by einna3494
I'm a student in the US planning on studying abroad for the spring semester in Wales. I'm having a hard time choosing between Cardiff and Swansea University and I was wondering if anyone had advice or pros and cons on one vs the other. I am a junior studying engineering. I'm looking for a school that has a good night life, beautiful campus, and a town/city with good food/things to do, etc. Can someone tell me the overall atmosphere between the two universities?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much!

-A

Hey :smile:

I would say their both good unis and great places to live. I'm attending Swansea but I'd say Cardiff has a higher reputation, and it is the bigger city. I can't tell you much about Cardiff, but Swansea is a good uni, right by the beach and although it's not 'huge' there's plenty of nightlife and some might prefer it to Cardiff's. The campus at Swansea is definitely great, but someone else can tell you more about Cardiff.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by mddub39
Hey :smile:

I would say their both good unis and great places to live. I'm attending Swansea but I'd say Cardiff has a higher reputation, and it is the bigger city. I can't tell you much about Cardiff, but Swansea is a good uni, right by the beach and although it's not 'huge' there's plenty of nightlife and some might prefer it to Cardiff's. The campus at Swansea is definitely great, but someone else can tell you more about Cardiff.

Thanks! I'm leaning towards Swansea as of now. What kind of things are there to do in the day in there? Do most students stay on campus or do they head into town? Sorry for all the questions... I've never been outside of North America before so I have no idea what the culture is like over there!
Reply 3
Original post by einna3494
Thanks! I'm leaning towards Swansea as of now. What kind of things are there to do in the day in there? Do most students stay on campus or do they head into town? Sorry for all the questions... I've never been outside of North America before so I have no idea what the culture is like over there!

No worries, I lived in Canada for 5 years so I understand the difference in culture. I actually start at Swansea in September, but the campus has a library, good food/coffee options and the sports village is right by it. The town is close, not a quick walk, lose enough too but I doubt anyone goes in between lectures.

I suppose it depends where you stay as some live on campus, some at the student village, and some in close by houses (such as myself).
I live in the south of Wales so I am quite close to both. (Closer to Swansea) Swansea city is a bit run down compared to Cardiff, there are plenty of shops there but obviously as the capital, Cardiff has more. From what I've heard there is really good night life in Cardiff (don't know about swansea.) I would choos Cardiff personally but Swansea is still good and many people from my school apply to both universities.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd say Cardiff has a lot more going on, Swansea City centre is a bit old fashioned and small. However it depends what you like, Swansea is next to some stunning coastline which is great for watersports or just exploring. I'd also say Swansea has a marginally better nightlife.
Swansea has Premier League football so if you have an interest in another Premier League side you might be able to see them play at the Liberty Stadium.
As someone living in Swansea, I would go for Swansea instead of Cardiff. The nightlife in Swansea is amazing and drinks are only £1 every Wednesday night in all the clubs. Wednesday night is student night so basically all the students go out mostly Wednesday night. The Swansea university is right next to the beach and only less than 10 mins drive to the city centre and buses run every 10 mins. The seaviews from Swansea univeersity are amazing. All the clubs in Swansea are in one street which is called Wind Street but in Cardiff all the clubs are scattered everywhere so on a night out in Cardiff u will have to walk 25 mins from one club to another which is not nice. Also there are lots of places u can visit near Swansea like the Gower, Mumbles, Tenby, Rhossili just mentioning a few. But obviously if u like shopping, Cardiff has got more shops than Swansea because obviously Cardiff is bigger than Swansea.

Quick Reply

Latest