The Student Room Group

Open University? Need help and advise!

I'm thinking of doing an Open University course next year, specifically in Forensic Psychology or just Psychology.

But I'm finding it difficult to gain the required information and wanted to ask people who have actually studied with them so I can get an understanding on the work load!

Here are my questions...

How full time is a full time degree? (Is it something you have to work at all day, or could you just do it when you get home from work?)

Is it actually... worth doing? Do you actually get engaged in the online lectures? I quite like lectures, but I don't fancy going to university as a full time or part time student as I want to be able to work moderately part-time/full-time.

Has anyone found that OU, whilst it's given you the knowledge, hasn't been able to put that knowledge into practice?

The courses I am looking at are 4 or 6 years long, and I would like to start as soon as possible.
If anyone has any other helpful information regarding studying with them I'd be really grateful!
Original post by bearfats
I'm thinking of doing an Open University course next year, specifically in Forensic Psychology or just Psychology.

But I'm finding it difficult to gain the required information and wanted to ask people who have actually studied with them so I can get an understanding on the work load!

Here are my questions...

How full time is a full time degree? (Is it something you have to work at all day, or could you just do it when you get home from work?)

Is it actually... worth doing? Do you actually get engaged in the online lectures? I quite like lectures, but I don't fancy going to university as a full time or part time student as I want to be able to work moderately part-time/full-time.

Has anyone found that OU, whilst it's given you the knowledge, hasn't been able to put that knowledge into practice?

The courses I am looking at are 4 or 6 years long, and I would like to start as soon as possible.
If anyone has any other helpful information regarding studying with them I'd be really grateful!

Hi there,

I'm an OU student (about to start my fourth module). I'm studying part-time, 60 credits a year, and whilst on an average week it's not too intense, around the time that assignments are due it can take up quite a few hours. Plus, if it's a module with an exam, you'll need plenty of revision time.

I'd say that it would be possible to study 120 credits a year on top of your job, but it would be tough. Perhaps you could take on one 60 credit module first and see how you find it?

Is it worth doing? Definitely. The quality of the materials is excellent. It's challenging, especially from level 2 upwards, and I have learned so much!

My modules haven't had a lot in the way of video lectures. Mostly it's just a whole lot of reading and some audio (and this year independent research), but you can interact with other students through the forums, and go to tutorials if you like, and all the tutors I've had were quite interactive and very helpful.

I'm already putting what I have learned into practice, and I haven't even graduated yet! :smile:

If you study with the OU, you'll need to motivate yourself. Although the books and the website will guide you through the module and help you build up your skills, there's nobody there to hold your hand unless you ask for help from your tutor. That won't suit every person, but if you like relatively independent learning, it's quite fulfilling. I like setting my own pace.

I've always received helpful feedback on my assignments and it's a wonderful feeling receiving a good score and, after a while, realising how much you've learned and how you've progressed. On the whole, I'm a happy OU student!

Hope this helps a bit! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Kittiara
Hi there,

I'm an OU student (about to start my fourth module). I'm studying part-time, 60 credits a year, and whilst on an average week it's not too intense, around the time that assignments are due it can take up quite a few hours. Plus, if it's a module with an exam, you'll need plenty of revision time.

I'd say that it would be possible to study 120 credits a year on top of your job, but it would be tough. Perhaps you could take on one 60 credit module first and see how you find it?

Is it worth doing? Definitely. The quality of the materials is excellent. It's challenging, especially from level 2 upwards, and I have learned so much!

My modules haven't had a lot in the way of video lectures. Mostly it's just a whole lot of reading and some audio (and this year independent research), but you can interact with other students through the forums, and go to tutorials if you like, and all the tutors I've had were quite interactive and very helpful.

I'm already putting what I have learned into practice, and I haven't even graduated yet! :smile:

If you study with the OU, you'll need to motivate yourself. Although the books and the website will guide you through the module and help you build up your skills, there's nobody there to hold your hand unless you ask for help from your tutor. That won't suit every person, but if you like relatively independent learning, it's quite fulfilling. I like setting my own pace.

I've always received helpful feedback on my assignments and it's a wonderful feeling receiving a good score and, after a while, realising how much you've learned and how you've progressed. On the whole, I'm a happy OU student!

Hope this helps a bit! :smile:

Thank you for all the information! It's definitely helped me a lot as I had quite a few concerns about starting a course with them as I've heard it's very challenging but a lot of employers appreciate an OU degree.

By going to tutorials, do you mean you physically get to meet university lectures? As I would like the opportunities to discuss points if I am stuck with physical people as I do find it easier discussing some issues with lecturers, but that may be because I am used to "physical" education. I am quite an independent learner.

I've done a few of their "free" lectures to get you used to the whole scheme of OU and it did go quite well, the only thing I am worried about is the work load if I am learning full time or part time.
How many hours per day/week do you spend studying part time?
Original post by bearfats
Thank you for all the information! It's definitely helped me a lot as I had quite a few concerns about starting a course with them as I've heard it's very challenging but a lot of employers appreciate an OU degree.

By going to tutorials, do you mean you physically get to meet university lectures? As I would like the opportunities to discuss points if I am stuck with physical people as I do find it easier discussing some issues with lecturers, but that may be because I am used to "physical" education. I am quite an independent learner.

I've done a few of their "free" lectures to get you used to the whole scheme of OU and it did go quite well, the only thing I am worried about is the work load if I am learning full time or part time.
How many hours per day/week do you spend studying part time?

You're welcome :smile:.

Yes, you can physically meet your tutor and other students. It's not every week, but about every month or so. Tutorials usually last a few hours, and sometimes day schools are held. All the tutors I have had so far were also available for contact via telephone, which can make it easier to discuss things/clarify issues than through email.

I think that how many hours a week will depend on the person, the course and the module level. For level 1, it only took me about four hours a week, apart from when an assignment was due. For level 2, about eight hours. I'm now starting level 3 and by the looks of it I need to do 6 hours of independent study on top of the main course materials, so I reckon it's going to be considerably more. And to be honest, I should have spent a bit more time on my studies in my first couple of modules, because spending a few hours more did lift my grades from a 2.1 level to a First.

The OU, if I remember correctly, recommends about 16 hours a week for a part-time module. That would mean approximately 32 hours a week for full-time. So, it's difficult to guess.
How many hours a week you do can depends on how many credits you study a year and how well you understand the subject.

I think it is suggested that for every 30 credit module you should study appox 8 hours a week and for every 60 credit module you study approx 18 hours a week.

So I'm doing 90 credits this year so I should be putting in around 26 of study a week but I'm finding my 60 credit module quite easy and getting through the work quicker than I thought so I usually only spend about 15-20 hours a week on both modules. but if the module was harder I may have to do more than 26 hours a week.

My advice would be to start off with a 60 credit module and see how you cope and the the year after you will have a good idea of how much work you could handle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending