The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

s104 October start

Anyone else doing s104 starting this October?

how do you feeling now you have your books and your looking over the subjects?

Im doing ok. I have finished book 1 now and Im half way through the maths skills book. hope to start on book 2 before the course starts. All seems quite easy so far but I maybe proven wrong once I have to write TMAs lol
I've sort of neglected S104 for the past few weeks because I've already gotten through a few of them. Book 4 is a lot more in-depth (and 5 but most of it is optional) so if you've not done A Level Chemistry that one could take you 2 months to get through.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by BestProfileName
I've sort of neglected S104 for the past few weeks because I've already gotten through a few of them. Book 4 is a lot more in-depth (and 5 but most of it is optional) so if you've not done A Level Chemistry that one could take you 2 months to get through.

I have Alevel chem and bio at grade A* so Im not worried about book 4 or 5 too much.
Im more worried about book 7 because that the direction I want to go in (ie physics) and I dont have an Alevel just general interest.
But yea I have heard horrid things about book 4. I am planning on using my Alevel books to get though it as Ive heard its very badly written.
Original post by anon2010
I have Alevel chem and bio at grade A* so Im not worried about book 4 or 5 too much.
Im more worried about book 7 because that the direction I want to go in (ie physics) and I dont have an Alevel just general interest.
But yea I have heard horrid things about book 4. I am planning on using my Alevel books to get though it as Ive heard its very badly written.

A*? God, I feel old. I didn't have them in 'my day'. Which degree are you doing? I'm assuming Natural Sciences.
Reply 4
I done S104 last year but had to defer at the start of this year until this October due to my health. I'm looking forward to starting back up again :smile:
The books are the exact same as what I got last year for the module but the TMA questions will be different. From experience with doing TMAs last year, don't underestimate how long a TMA will take to complete. It may look like there's not a lot of questions and may only take you a day to finish but I saw me taking about 4 hours to answer one question perfectly. Always remember to include your working! I lost a lot of marks at the start of the module because of that.

What other modules are you guys doing and what pathway are yous on? I'm also doing SK143 and S141 though I wont have to start S141 until last next year as I deferred that too but banked my scores for that module so I don't have to start that one again until I reached the work I missed. I'm on the biology pathway. Was originally on the astronomy pathway but the level of maths and physics needed terrified me! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
I done S104 last year but had to defer at the start of this year until this October due to my health. I'm looking forward to starting back up again :smile:
The books are the exact same as what I got last year for the module but the TMA questions will be different. From experience with doing TMAs last year, don't underestimate how long a TMA will take to complete. It may look like there's not a lot of questions and may only take you a day to finish but I saw me taking about 4 hours to answer one question perfectly. Always remember to include your working! I lost a lot of marks at the start of the module because of that.

What other modules are you guys doing and what pathway are yous on? I'm also doing SK143 and S141 though I wont have to start S141 until last next year as I deferred that too but banked my scores for that module so I don't have to start that one again until I reached the work I missed. I'm on the biology pathway. Was originally on the astronomy pathway but the level of maths and physics needed terrified me! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I took Maths and Physics because I didn't want to explain "Natural Sciences" to people all of the time, but it turns out that I've ended up loving the Maths. I think that if you've done GCSE Maths that it's pretty easy to follow MST124. I can't believe how good the study materials are. If you've done A Level Maths then you'll walk it.

I actually think the Maths is way easier than the Physics now.
Reply 6
I took Maths and Physics because I didn't want to explain "Natural Sciences" to people all of the time, but it turns out that I've ended up loving the Maths. I think that if you've done GCSE Maths that it's pretty easy to follow MST124. I can't believe how good the study materials are. If you've done A Level Maths then you'll walk it.

I actually think the Maths is way easier than the Physics now.

I'm doing MST124 as well in October. I'm on Unit 3. Unit 1 & 2 are straightforward GCSE and a bit of AS. Unit 3 introduces functions which I did in A2.
Reply 7
Im hoping to take up MST 124 in February if I can change my hours at work. I did math GCSE (A) but didnt do Alevel.
I'm finding I already know all the stuff in the maths Ebook for S104 which is good. :smile:
Reply 8
A*? God, I feel old. I didn't have them in 'my day'. Which degree are you doing? I'm assuming Natural Sciences.

I'm going for mathematics and physics pathway but may change to just physics later on depending how I find each module I complete.
Original post by muj121
I'm doing MST124 as well in October. I'm on Unit 3. Unit 1 & 2 are straightforward GCSE and a bit of AS. Unit 3 introduces functions which I did in A2.

I'm almost done with Unit 5 and I can tell you that most of that Unit was a combination of GCSE and A Level...The same goes for Unit 4, I suppose.

Original post by anon2010
I'm going for mathematics and physics pathway but may change to just physics later on depending how I find each module I complete.

I originally just wanted to do Physics, but of course, they did away with that named degree. I don't know why. Essentially, you can do the exact same modules, so I have no idea how it would be a "funding issue", as some claim. I picked Maths and Physics for the name, and for the past week or so I was actually considering just doing Maths, because I've enjoyed it a lot more. But then, I wouldn't get the massive Physics module in the second year...The Physics in the first year is very basic.

Quick Reply

Latest