The Student Room Group

Medicine 5th choice offers 2015

Hi everyone,

I wanted to start a thread for people who had got offers (or rejections) from their 5th choices already. This is because I'm still trying to choose one so Id like to see which places give out offers to medicine applicants often.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellipsis...
x

Well my application was sent off today. Initially, I wasn't going to put a fifth option but have applied for pharmacy at De Montfort.
Reply 2
hmm i put biomedical engineering at Sheffield....sooo dunno what will happen :/ i honestly cant see myself studying anything other than medicine, and biomedical science just wouldnt give me the satisfaction i want.

I think with bioengineering, i will be tested sufficiently and is actually quite interesting, more so than the traditional biomedical science option.

i might not even accept it even if i get that as my only offer
Reply 3
Cellular and Molecular Medicine at Bristol encourgage medical applicants, unlike their biochemistry course. If I was applying for medicine it would be my 5th! It's AAB or ABB if you go to a relatively low performing state school. (The Bristol contextual offer list is on their website if interested)
Reply 4
Yeah I've noticed Bristol don't seem to like medical applicants- if you apply to neuroscience, physiology etc you're at a disadvantage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Im trying to choose a 5th choice, I've narrowed it down to these:

Newcastle- bioemd
Leeds- medical sciences
Sheffield- biomed
UCL- biomed
Kings-biomed
Imperial-biomed
Bath-biomed
Birmingham- medical sciences

Could anyone give me any advice on these courses? Which am I more likely to get an offer from? Which have better reputations? What about transfers to medicine? I know ucl and imperial are probably the best but I'm apprehensive about London due to accomodation prices- any advice?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Reply 7
Hi,

I am 3rd year biomed predicted a 1st (or high 2:1). I got 2610 (652.5) in my ukcat - I am aware that this is not the best but UKCAT. I have decent work experience and extra-curricular stuff.

I really need some help as the deadline is quickly approaching. I need some help with choosing my fourth university. My choices:

1 - St Georges GEP
2 - Swansea GEP
3 - Keele 5 year (this because I know they're not too harsh with UKCAT
4 - I don't know (Sheffield, Leicester, Manchester???)

I don't know what my fourth option should be. I probably need it to be a university that's not too strict with UKCAT, but still uses it. I know I make the minimum requirement for Sheffield but I also know that it is very competitive. I'm not 100% sure about other unis. I know ukcat overall is lower this year, but does anyone have any suggestions about a fourth university I should apply to?

Somebody please help me out.

Thanking you guys in advance,

document35
I'm considering putting UCL for Biomed but I'm not sure how competitive it is as it'd be too risky to get rejected from a 5th backup choice.
Original post by brbwafflesyay
I'm considering putting UCL for Biomed but I'm not sure how competitive it is as it'd be too risky to get rejected from a 5th backup choice.

Phone them up and ask them.
Reply 11
Just got an offer for Chemistry with medicinal chemistry at Glasgow, I'm kinda relieved I've got a backup. Anyone got biomed offers yet?:smile:
Unconditional from Leicester

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an offer for Queen Marys Biomed ABB
But I know that Leicester often given out unconditionals (I know people who got this last year and this year)
Reply 14
Offer from Bristol for Biology😃😃
Reply 15
Original post by Ben4444
Offer from Bristol for Biology������������

Nice! So they don't mind if you have a medicine orientated personal statement?
Reply 16
Original post by misstac
Nice! So they don't mind if you have a medicine orientated personal statement?

No not at all!! I was really worried as they state in the admissions statement for biochem and a few other courses that if you have a medicine ps they will wait until the January deadline before considering you, so that applicants with a relevant ps have an equal chance. Obviously doesn't apply for biology. I got the offer one week after applying if that helps😀
Reply 17
Original post by Ben4444
No not at all!! I was really worried as they state in the admissions statement for biochem and a few other courses that if you have a medicine ps they will wait until the January deadline before considering you, so that applicants with a relevant ps have an equal chance. Obviously doesn't apply for biology. I got the offer one week after applying if that helps������

that's fantastic! and reassuring :smile: i think i'm going to apply for a biology course as well
Reply 18
Got King's Biomed - AAB
Reply 19
applied for medical sciences at exeter- still waiting on a response D:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending