The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Applications sent!!! anybody else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Eboracum
Hello Esha :smile: I do Politics now, so I'm hoping to do International Relations, but I only got a low 2:1 in Second Year, so I'm not massively confident. But I'm sort of taking the view it would be only worth it (for me) if I could get into say UCL/Kings or Durham or something, and I'm not really sure my grades are good enough.

How about yourself? What are your dreams and aspirations? What unis/courses are you looking at?

Give Cardiff a try as well. You should be able to get in there, and it's not too bad either.
Reply 21
I think I may have just finished writing my research proposal, bar some rephrasing of a couple of sentences. Was waiting for my second reference to get back to me and my first referee, who recommended her being the second, but I might send them both the proposal so they can read it. Bit scared of sending my applications off now. :frown:
Reply 22
Hello Esha :smile: I do Politics now, so I'm hoping to do International Relations, but I only got a low 2:1 in Second Year, so I'm not massively confident. But I'm sort of taking the view it would be only worth it (for me) if I could get into say UCL/Kings or Durham or something, and I'm not really sure my grades are good enough.

How about yourself? What are your dreams and aspirations? What unis/courses are you looking at?

Thats really great!.. Yea those unis are really a great bunch and your absolutely set if u get in :clap2: .. I applied for Msc in Finance and Investments because i want to go into fund management career..I wanted to apply to Edinburgh but just like you my 2nd year score is not good enough for their requirements so ive applied to Nottingham(which is my first choice !! :biggrin:), Queen Mary, Sussex, Kingston and Cardiff..im just waiting on Nottingham's reply.
Original post by c2uk
Give Cardiff a try as well. You should be able to get in there, and it's not too bad either.

Hi thanks for your message. It's a great uni. The thing is, I'm not overly fussed about an MA at this time. I'm more sort of seeing it as a backup should graduate scheme applications fail, but even then, there's just a part of me that wants to do MA at certain unis, rather than in general. I guess I'm just one of those starry eyed about the London unis. :colondollar:

Out of interest, have you done BA/MA at Cardiff? Was it good?

Original post by esha_28
Thats really great!.. Yea those unis are really a great bunch and your absolutely set if u get in :clap2: .. I applied for Msc in Finance and Investments because i want to go into fund management career..I wanted to apply to Edinburgh but just like you my 2nd year score is not good enough for their requirements so ive applied to Nottingham(which is my first choice !! :biggrin:), Queen Mary, Sussex, Kingston and Cardiff..im just waiting on Nottingham's reply.

Hi Esha. That's really great! Where did you do your undergrad?

I spoke to King's College London on email today. They suggested what might be a plan is wait until Jan/Feb and then I'd have the first few results from third year, and if they go better then that might help my application. I'm not sure, I'd be willing to consider that.

The thing is there, Edinburgh isn't exactly any better than Nottingham surely? I'd have them two as pretty much exactly the same standard, with Queen Mary not that far behind?

It seems to vary on the course. Like I've heard some courses even at unis like KCL and Durham, it's pretty much making up the numbers, so if you have 2:1 from second year and can fund it, you're in. I've even heard of people at UCL with 2:2s doing Masters. But I guess what I do (Politics) and what you do (Finance) it's much tougher.
Original post by esha_28
Thats great! congratulations..which course did you apply for??

MSc Global Politics :biggrin: I'm so happy!
Reply 25

Hi Esha. That's really great! Where did you do your undergrad?

I spoke to King's College London on email today. They suggested what might be a plan is wait until Jan/Feb and then I'd have the first few results from third year, and if they go better then that might help my application. I'm not sure, I'd be willing to consider that.

The thing is there, Edinburgh isn't exactly any better than Nottingham surely? I'd have them two as pretty much exactly the same standard, with Queen Mary not that far behind?

It seems to vary on the course. Like I've heard some courses even at unis like KCL and Durham, it's pretty much making up the numbers, so if you have 2:1 from second year and can fund it, you're in. I've even heard of people at UCL with 2:2s doing Masters. But I guess what I do (Politics) and what you do (Finance) it's much tougher.

Yea it'll probably leave out other options if you wait till then? Yes Nottingham and QM is equally great but the thing is they accept students with a lil lower score than required depending on your SOP and References and their campuses are really amazing too! Yea probably the courses we're going for are specializations which is why they want high results. I'm from India so im doing my undergraduation from here itself.
Reply 26
Original post by Gemma345

Amazing.. Im sure!.. Congo! :adore:

Congratulations! Gemma, I'm considering that course, and the MA Politics and International Relations at Durham. Out of interest, what undergrad university and second year/or overall marks did you get? Just roughly I mean. I'm just wondering if it is worth me applying.

Original post by esha_28
Yea it'll probably leave out other options if you wait till then? Yes Nottingham and QM is equally great but the thing is they accept students with a lil lower score than required depending on your SOP and References and their campuses are really amazing too! Yea probably the courses we're going for are specializations which is why they want high results. I'm from India so im doing my undergraduation from here itself.

Fair enough. It just seems strange that Edinburgh have higher entrance requirements than Nottingham and Queen Mary. I mean those three universities would be pretty much the same standard. I'd have thought any 2:1 from a solid undergrad university would suffice.

India, that's so awesome! What a great place, would love to go one day. I studied about India in a first year module :smile:

I've just emailed a few unis now, and I'm talking it through with them. Out of interest, how do you know exactly what score they accept? Surely all three of those (Edinburgh, Not and QM) would just say "2:1 required in a relevant course", so how did you know the exact score?
Congratulations! Gemma, I'm considering that course, and the MA Politics and International Relations at Durham. Out of interest, what undergrad university and second year/or overall marks did you get? Just roughly I mean. I'm just wondering if it is worth me applying.

Oooh yeah, I was really conflicted over whether to apply to that one or Global Politics - so good choice! ;D

I go to Southampton, and in my second year I averaged a 68 (with firsts in all relevant modules). I didn't do very well in my first year (60) because I had a lot of health issues, although I didn't tell Durham this but just made reference to this in my PS by saying "I have improved exponentially...". In my references my lecturers said they think I'll get a first. I also have experience in data collection for academic journals and lobbying MPs, so I imagine that has some impact.

How about you? What uni are you at and what's your average?

To be honest, it's a lot "easier" to get into postgrad courses than for undergraduate, because your competition is dramatically reduced and the unis are making a bucketload off you. You never know unless you try! Just be really enthusiastic in your PS and make sure you have glowing references and it'll help. :dontknow:
Oooh yeah, I was really conflicted over whether to apply to that one or Global Politics - so good choice! ;D

I go to Southampton, and in my second year I averaged a 68 (with firsts in all relevant modules). I didn't do very well in my first year (60) because I had a lot of health issues, although I didn't tell Durham this but just made reference to this in my PS by saying "I have improved exponentially...". In my references my lecturers said they think I'll get a first. I also have experience in data collection for academic journals and lobbying MPs, so I imagine that has some impact.

How about you? What uni are you at and what's your average?

To be honest, it's a lot "easier" to get into postgrad courses than for undergraduate, because your competition is dramatically reduced and the unis are making a bucketload off you. You never know unless you try! Just be really enthusiastic in your PS and make sure you have glowing references and it'll help. :dontknow:

You sound like an awesome candidate, you were always going to get an offer. So for me I'm at York. I've gone the other way unfortunately. I got 67 in first year but only 63 in second year, which was disappointing. The 63 was on study abroad however, with what felt like unusually harsh conversions (had I of been at Sheffield it would have converted to 69). I'm confident this year.

Do you know what the fees are? I looked at both your course and the one I'm applying for seemed to be £5,700.

I saw you're applying for KCL and St. Andrews, which courses? And at LSE, are you planning on getting a scholarship? I saw that the course MA IR was 20k!
Reply 30
Fair enough. It just seems strange that Edinburgh have higher entrance requirements than Nottingham and Queen Mary. I mean those three universities would be pretty much the same standard. I'd have thought any 2:1 from a solid undergrad university would suffice.

India, that's so awesome! What a great place, would love to go one day. I studied about India in a first year module :smile:

I've just emailed a few unis now, and I'm talking it through with them. Out of interest, how do you know exactly what score they accept? Surely all three of those (Edinburgh, Not and QM) would just say "2:1 required in a relevant course", so how did you know the exact score?

Yea I guess its due to the rankings probably or just due to different department requirements. But its quite alright Nottingham is equally great right. You guys must know more as you'll live in UK and have better outreach.

Yes you should visit India its a really great place! :smile:

Even I had emailed each of the universities I was interested in applying to and they reverted with their specific requirements from Indian students and particular universities of India. I made sure I was eligible to apply to these universities before the application.
Reply 31
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows exactly how hard it is to get into KCL for MSc Marketing?

Thanks!
Original post by clmc13
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows exactly how hard it is to get into KCL for MSc Marketing?

Thanks!

There should be an email for an admissions tutor whom you can ask - TSR users can only speculate, the admissions team can definitively say.
Reply 33
Has anyone got in touch with admissions department before actually applying? I want to ask about my chances before official application.

Any advice would be really appreciated. I have in mind a master´s at Hull Uni.
Original post by Moel
Has anyone got in touch with admissions department before actually applying? I want to ask about my chances before official application.

Yes. You are definitely allowed and it is a good idea...
Reply 35
Original post by Moel

Hey Moel, Yepp I emailed each and every unis' admission department regarding the eligibility before applying.:smile:
Original post by jpowis123
Keele, English Literature
I have thought applying for creative writing as well.

Keele is a great university, particularly for English. Having studied English at Undergraduate level at Keele, I can vouch for this! Best of luck.
Hi guys, if I fail to get a bursary/scholarship for a masters but successfully get a place on an MA course, is it possible to drop out before I have to pay any tuition fees? Thanks
Original post by WestieLover1993
Keele is a great university, particularly for English. Having studied English at Undergraduate level at Keele, I can vouch for this! Best of luck.

Thanks, I have also thought about Creative writing, at Keele, is their a possibility I could mix them together or shall I concentrate on one subject.
Reply 39
Original post by yabbayabba
Hi guys, if I fail to get a bursary/scholarship for a masters but successfully get a place on an MA course, is it possible to drop out before I have to pay any tuition fees? Thanks

You can withdraw your application at any point, and really only have to pay when you enrol for the programme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending