The Student Room Group

DSA for Equipment (due to not being able to watch lectures) for Chronic Migraine.

I wonder if anyone has any experience applying for DSA for chronic migraine? I know the prognosis can be quite difficult for doctors but I have been diagnosed with this condition for 12+ months now and I missed over 70% of my first year. (I have proved that this wasn't as a doss Fresher either with my grades) I home studied in the dark with my laptop brightness turned all the way down.

Second year I can't afford to do that, and 3 weeks in I'm already feeling defeated by my condition. I can't watch the PowerPoint presentations for much longer than 20 minutes without it triggering Aura. I am very light-sensitive, so much so I'm on 4 anti-seizure tablets a day, and currently in question as to whether or not I could have been experiencing absence seizures, as well as mini black-outs. - This is on top of a high dose of beta-blockers also as preventatives. However the migraines continue and I keep on visiting my GP.

I know this doesn't make me disabled, but I'm more wondering whether or not this will make me eligible to ask for support for equipment. My student finance does not cover the cost of a laptop. I've had to quit my job because of the chronic fatigue that comes with my condition and I get the minimum amount of loan because of my parents income (but this doesn't mean they can whack out a laptop upon request) .. However taking my own laptop to lectures and seminars where I could turn down the brightness would be highly beneficial to me, and on days where I'm feeling a little blind and unaware I could even record the lectures on it too.

If anyone has any experience with this it would really help :smile:
Original post by jscanlon
I wonder if anyone has any experience applying for DSA for chronic migraine? I know the prognosis can be quite difficult for doctors but I have been diagnosed with this condition for 12+ months now and I missed over 70% of my first year. (I have proved that this wasn't as a doss Fresher either with my grades) I home studied in the dark with my laptop brightness turned all the way down.

Second year I can't afford to do that, and 3 weeks in I'm already feeling defeated by my condition. I can't watch the PowerPoint presentations for much longer than 20 minutes without it triggering Aura. I am very light-sensitive, so much so I'm on 4 anti-seizure tablets a day, and currently in question as to whether or not I could have been experiencing absence seizures, as well as mini black-outs. - This is on top of a high dose of beta-blockers also as preventatives. However the migraines continue and I keep on visiting my GP.

I know this doesn't make me disabled, but I'm more wondering whether or not this will make me eligible to ask for support for equipment. My student finance does not cover the cost of a laptop. I've had to quit my job because of the chronic fatigue that comes with my condition and I get the minimum amount of loan because of my parents income (but this doesn't mean they can whack out a laptop upon request) .. However taking my own laptop to lectures and seminars where I could turn down the brightness would be highly beneficial to me, and on days where I'm feeling a little blind and unaware I could even record the lectures on it too.

If anyone has any experience with this it would really help :smile:

I'm not being a dick, and I hope you get the funding you plainly deserve - disabled/eligible or not - but if it's the brightness of the lights and screen that triggers your migraines, couldn't you just wear dark glasses? They do special ones, for example http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ask-the-optician/fl-41-tinted-glasses-to-help-with-migraine/ and related links on page
Reply 2
Original post by scrotgrot
I'm not being a dick, and I hope you get the funding you plainly deserve - disabled/eligible or not - but if it's the brightness of the lights and screen that triggers your migraines, couldn't you just wear dark glasses? They do special ones, for example http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ask-the-optician/fl-41-tinted-glasses-to-help-with-migraine/ and related links on page

No I totally get that, and if I had £1 for every time someone suggested these I could probably afford the laptop myself haha! But my sensitivity to light is a lot more complex than just based on the brightness - it's just one very triggering factor. It's not something that can be solved by tinted lenses alone. But thank you.
If your gp writes a letter explaining your symptoms ect then can apply for DSA - the worst that can happen is they could reject you, but you might well be eligible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You may get a note taker / dictaphone through DSA. But I have no idea if this would help, in terms of an alternative to watching the PowerPoint presentations?
Reply 5
Have you looked into irlen syndrome. This process (I'm a screener) uses manipulation of colour and filtering out of annoying parts of light (to explain it easily) using filtered lenses- these are NOT like the ones the opticians use. It may give you some benefit and the process has been backed up with research. If you are screened for Irlen syndrome using an 'approved method' then you can apply for DSA to access the lenses. They are expensive but we've had some excellent feedback from users. One student freely admitted than when I explained the process to him he thought it was b*llsh*t but came back to thank me after having his lenses.

Have a look at: http://www.irlenuk.com/
Original post by NJones
Have you looked into irlen syndrome. This process (I'm a screener) uses manipulation of colour and filtering out of annoying parts of light (to explain it easily) using filtered lenses- these are NOT like the ones the opticians use. It may give you some benefit and the process has been backed up with research. If you are screened for Irlen syndrome using an 'approved method' then you can apply for DSA to access the lenses. They are expensive but we've had some excellent feedback from users. One student freely admitted than when I explained the process to him he thought it was b*llsh*t but came back to thank me after having his lenses.

Have a look at: http://www.irlenuk.com/

Would DSA fund the testing? I had mine done at college which didn't cost me anything.

I am also very light sensitive (I wear sunglasses as my normal glasses, basically) and found that the coloured paper and overlya smade so much difference.
Reply 7
Original post by OU Student
Would DSA fund the testing? I had mine done at college which didn't cost me anything.

I am also very light sensitive (I wear sunglasses as my normal glasses, basically) and found that the coloured paper and overlya smade so much difference.

No. The testing is considered to be equivalent to medical evidence. The screening cost should be around £75.

DSA can pay for the cost of the full lense assessment and cost of lense coating, which is around £300. Also overlays can be around £5 each. SFE will also pay up to £30 for cost of frames (but SFW won't!) Prescription lenses cannot be paid for by DSA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending