The Student Room Group

Why are under 25''s not given much option?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trustmeimlying1
very interesting to see the two sides of the coin.

Personally I have no issues with the disabled..perhaps a tougher disability definition(so as to avoid cerain light disabilities) could be looked into but otherwise its grand.

Regarding people generally on the dole make sure to stop people making the most of the system and if minimum wages go down so should the dole. Relative to normal people it should be less to promote employment.

To be fair bahonsi if she has a decent grad job shes probably on the right track for life...the people on the doll are generally going nowhere fast. Id prefer seeing less money going into the doles and more money targetting the bad areas to help them progress into the working world.
ofc graduates are gonna struggle.

Trust me they already make it a nightmare to get disability, my mum who can't even dress herself is no longer entitled to disability.
Original post by bahonsi
I live in London because of university. And £1.5k savings isn't going to get me far I will rather walk to university than suffer the daily commute. My personal happiness definitely out weighs a £1.5k saving.

You dont need to live in London because of university.

You chose being in London- that costs more money, therefore you have less residual income.

You either live close to everything in London and less residual income, or you spend time commuting in and have more residual income. You chose the former and have less money.
Original post by cheeriosarenice
Are you guys aware that young disadvantaged people who have to claim housing benefit to survive are not allowed to enrol at college, as it is a benefit rule. So if you don't have A levels, and want to get them to better your life, you can't. I think that is outstandingly unfair.

And actually, the rule is you can't go into FULL TIME education, unless you're disabled. So once again, not as clear cut as some may believe.
Reply 43
Original post by rsdntbplr
You're getting more and more ridiculous by the minute. Pure greed. It's disgusting moaning about 21K, when people are on the streets or living off the bare minimum. There are ways around it. Benefits aren't the fix solution and I have no idea why some people seem to think that the government owes them a living.

How is £21k in London greed? Please enlighten me? If it was £21k in Manchester that's a different matter £21k can't get you much after tax as I have pointed the cost of her rent, literally takes up more than half. I never said benefits are a solution nor that the government owes her anything rather the fact that people under 25 don't get as much support which is something I found out today and was absolutely shocked by. Especially when majority of those under 25's have been contributing to NI and tax from the age of 18. It's only fair that they should have the same options available to them.

People on the streets living off nothing is an unfortunate circumstance which I personally have no power to change but maybe if there was a shake up off the policies they might not be living without the essentials.
Original post by bahonsi
It cost just as much to live in Brighton as in London so why waste money commuting? That's just an example btw.

Brighton? Why didn't you just be modest and pick Sevenoaks for an example? :rolleyes:

My point is that there are cheaper places to live outside of London and still within commuting distance.
Original post by bahonsi
Oh gosh, my point isn't about not having enough money for a night out, am just pointing out that £60 disposable income a month doesn't amount to much when you live in London. I personally won't say am struggling only because I have the bank off mum and dad but my main point is, assuming my parents aren't there to support me I will end up suffering like my cousin unable to live a slightly comfortable life. I know she is better off than most but I would love a situation whereby the government doesn't exclude help for people who need it based on their age.

Why should you receive money from the Government??????????????

You earn £21k (i think?) so why should you receive Government money????
Original post by SophieSmall
Trust me they already make it a nightmare to get disability, my mum who can't even dress herself is no longer entitled to disability.
I can't comment on the UK way. Obivously yeh gotta leave it to the professionals...but personally I'd prefer a stricter fairer system on figuring out who really needs it. I know in Ireland there has been many a controversy over such a matter.
Original post by rsdntbplr
And actually, the rule is you can't go into FULL TIME education, unless you're disabled. So once again, not as clear cut as some may believe.

It's still unfair. Colleges class anything over 12 hours as full time, so you can only do 2 a levels, yet if you were living at home you could do 4 with no problems. That's not fair if the young person on benefits is estranged from their parents.
Reply 48
Original post by cheeriosarenice
Are you guys aware that young disadvantaged people who have to claim housing benefit to survive are not allowed to enrol at college, as it is a benefit rule. So if you don't have A levels, and want to get them to better your life, you can't. I think that is outstandingly unfair.

I wasn't aware, that kinda sucks and doesn't even make sense, your not even giving these young people a chance to break free from the benefit cycle.
Original post by bahonsi
How is £21k in London greed? Please enlighten me? If it was £21k in Manchester that's a different matter £21k can't get you much after tax as I have pointed the cost of her rent, literally takes up more than half. I never said benefits are a solution nor that the government owes her anything rather the fact that people under 25 don't get as much support which is something I found out today and was absolutely shocked by. Especially when majority of those under 25's have been contributing to NI and tax from the age of 18. It's only fair that they should have the same options available to them.

People on the streets living off nothing is an unfortunate circumstance which I personally have no power to change but maybe if there was a shake up off the policies they might not be living without the essentials.

It's greed to be on a perfectly respectable (not amazing but respectable for in your twenties) salary yet expect more finance from the government. Everyone, including over 25s and those with children and disabilities are going to find it harder and harder. Our government is cutting benefits and making the eligibility criteria more difficult to meet to cut the £1.2trillion+ national debt.

It's crap. But there are ways to get by.
I can't comment on the UK way. Obivously yeh gotta leave it to the professionals...but personally I'd prefer a stricter fairer system on figuring out who really needs it. I know in Ireland there has been many a controversy over such a matter.

Not a clue what the systems are like in ROI but yeah, it seems it's grim.
-Housing benefit should be capped at £800 a month
-Child benefit should be capped at 1 or 2 kids and no more whilst on benefits
-Im fed up of people thinking they have the right to a taxpayer-funded family
-People should always be allowed to enroll in evening classes for free to help better themselves
Original post by SophieSmall
Not a clue what the systems are like in ROI but yeah, it seems it's grim.

Nice seeing yeh again Sophs *Gives yee wee hug*
Hope you're well and that.
Original post by OU Student
I am one of those people who has never really worked. I receive a lot less than someone who would be working.

Does she really want to swap places with someone who is unable to contribute to society and is forced to live on benefits and have to constantly prove that they have a severe disability?

What's your disability if you don't mind me asking?
Nice seeing yeh again Sophs *Gives yee wee hug*
Hope you're well and that.

Thanks, you too :smile:
This is the case in the UK, the reason is because young tend to vote at a much lower frequency than the older generation

So we literally have a country bled dry for my father's generation :colonhash:
Like all of lifes problems, it is caused by immigrants.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Immigrants are obviously the problem.

No. Immigrants are not the problem. They're often more skilled than our own workers.
Reply 58
Original post by billydisco
You dont need to live in London because of university.

You chose being in London- that costs more money, therefore you have less residual income.

You either live close to everything in London and less residual income, or you spend time commuting in and have more residual income. You chose the former and have less money.

Am fine with the residual income i currently have living in London it's actually cheaper to live in London than commute from the states :tongue:
Reply 59
Original post by billydisco
Why should you receive money from the Government??????????????

You earn £21k (i think?) so why should you receive Government money????

Billy, I don't earn 21k :smile: as a student I earn far less. I was giving an example of my cousin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending