The Student Room Group

SICK during second year of uni, what is the best option

hiya guys, need some advice on what my options are.
I having major surgery in feb 2024, right at the start of second semester. My recovery time will be 8 weeks roughly and about a month and a bit at home recuperating.
I'm struggling as to whether I should take a year out and restart year2 in sept 2024, or keep working to the best of my ability, with the help of extensions and exams in august.
I would appreciate any advice :smile:)
Original post by Anonymous #1
I having major surgery in feb 2024, right at the start of second semester. My recovery time will be 8 weeks roughly and about a month and a bit at home recuperating.
I'm struggling as to whether I should take a year out and restart year2 in sept 2024, or keep working to the best of my ability, with the help of extensions and exams in august.

Anon,

Sorry to hear that you are having major surgery. Hope it all goes well!

I think it may be better to redo second year, rather than feel under a lot of pressure to meet the extensions and to sit the exams in August. If the exams don't go well, I think you will feel frustrated because you will know that you could have done better and that you could have done them when you were in a better place physically, mentally, and emotionally.

It's tough because I know that if you don't continue this year, it means an extra year and not graduating with your friends but I think you have to do what's best for you. Is it better to repeat a year and to get good/great results or to possibly do well or to just manage to pass, with a percentage grades going towards third year?

How you have found second year? Only you know what you can and can't manage and whether you think you could get the revision in while you recuperate, so do give it some thought.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 2

The other possibility -- which you haven't mentioned -- would be to see if you can complete the first semester of this year (assuming it hasn't finished yet), take a year out starting now, and return at the start of the second semester in 2025.

Obviously you'd need to check with the university to see if this something they'd allow.

You should speak to your course leaders and ask their advice. If you are going to be out from Feb for 8 weeks plus more time recuperating, I doubt that keeping going is really viable. About half the taught component is likely to be taught in that period you are off.

You will also have to consider funding I presume? So will they stop funding in semester 2 and give you an extra semester to start in Oct 24, or do you want to keep the same debt and try to restart in Feb 25?
Reply 4
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Anon,

Sorry to hear that you are having major surgery. Hope it all goes well!

I think it may be better to redo second year, rather than feel under a lot of pressure to meet the extensions and to sit the exams in August. If the exams don't go well, I think you will feel frustrated because you will know that you could have done better and that you could have done them when you were in a better place physically, mentally, and emotionally.

It's tough because I know that if you don't continue this year, it means an extra year and not graduating with your friends but I think you have to do what's best for you. Is it better to repeat a year and to get good/great results or to possibly do well or to just manage to pass, with a percentage grades going towards third year?

How you have found second year? Only you know what you can and can't manage and whether you think you could get the revision in while you recuperate, so do give it some thought.

All the best,

Hi, thank you so much for your reply!
So far I have found second year quite hard, its a big jump from what I learned in first year.
I'm worried I will struggle with revision for my June exams while recovering (I study biological sciences).
I have emailed my advisor and the disability services at my uni and I'm still waiting for a reply, which is why I have come here to ask if there are other options.
Original post by nyd67
Hi, thank you so much for your reply!
So far I have found second year quite hard, its a big jump from what I learned in first year.
I'm worried I will struggle with revision for my June exams while recovering (I study biological sciences).
I have emailed my advisor and the disability services at my uni and I'm still waiting for a reply, which is why I have come here to ask if there are other options.

@nyd67

There is definitely a jump from first year to second year!

It sounds like it would be wise to take your time, so you are in the best possible position to take your exams.

You could go over things that you have found difficult in second year over the summer and then you could start second year in the autumn, feeling more confident to tackle your modules.

Hope you are given the chance to do things at your own speed,

All the best,

Reply 6
I have had my students in situations analogous to this interrupt studies for a year. It is really the best way to protect your health and recovery (and allow for any unexpected hiccups) and keep your place safe at the institution. Your academic advisor.personal tutor should be able to guide you through this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending