The Student Room Group

Not Sure I Can Afford to Go to University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mackemforever
You can point it out but you're wrong.

I'm simply saying that bitching about how "university is for the rich" is bull**** when there are tens of thousands of students who go through University each year who are financially in utterly crappy situations, and who are worse off than you by a country mile, and who just get on with it instead of bitching about "woe is me, my parents are poor and I can't afford to go to University" as you seem to be doing.

If you want to go to University then your families financial situation, no matter how crappy it may be, will not stop you. It's only a problem if you decide to make it a problem.

All I'm doing is asking for those that have been in a similar position to give advice as to the best way to cope on a very small budget. Since I haven't divulged any financial details you are not in a position to judge whether I am "financially in an utterly crappy situation" or not.
Original post by Frantica
It seems Higher Education is still only really accessible to the very wealthy. Good luck!!

My family's broke and I'm in HE.
All I'm doing is asking for those that have been in a similar position to give advice as to the best way to cope on a very small budget. Since I haven't divulged any financial details you are not in a position to judge whether I am "financially in an utterly crappy situation" or not.

Well the fact that you seem to think that "Higher Education is still only really accessible to the very wealthy" would suggest that you do not fall into that category.
Reply 23
The £4789 is my estimated maintenance grant, what is ALF and could you suggest somewhere to find more info please?

ALF (Access to Learning Fund) no longer exists. The official government student funding website suggests that you approach your uni, which will usually have some kind of hardship fund. In reality, these are used for emergencies and will not act as a top up for your standard Student Finance allowance.

https://www.gov.uk/extra-money-pay-university/university-and-college-hardship-funds

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending