The Student Room Group

How do you earn a First Class degree?

What does it take to earn a 1st in your degree?

- Nerd who is studying 24/7?

- A really clever person

- Something else?
Reply 1
$400
Reply 2
Original post by Joyful_soul
What does it take to earn a 1st in your degree?

- Nerd who is studying 24/7?

- A really clever person

- Something else?

ayy lmao
Both, actually. A first class degree requires a lot of hard work. To work hard you need to be motivated. I'd have thought that those who do get Firsts also don't boast that they will, they are not arrogant but are also confident enough of their abilities.
Reply 4
Reading, reading and reading. Make sure that in coursework and exams, you don't just regurgitate what you've been told in lectures.

Plus... Look for the quick wins. Sometimes it's the small details which make a lot of difference when added up over two or three years. Anything that will earn you more percentages for just a bit more effort. For example, referencing is easy money and worth getting the hang if. All you have to do is follow the rules your uni uses and pay attention to detail. Not only is that a path to extra percentages, but it lends your work credibility and will make the marker(s) more positive about your work when they start looking at it.

Another thing which will do that, is making the work look neat and tidy. Follow your uni's formatting guidelines if there are any - pay attention to the font, the font size, margin sizes etc. This is especially important in the dissertation, where marks can be deducted for not following the format and presentation guidelines. Also, have a checklist of what sections the diss should include and make sure they're all there. If the guidelines say you should include a title page containing specific info, an abstract, table of contents, acknowledgements etc., then all of these should be there and marks will be deducted if they're not.

TL DR - Read around your topics, pay attention to detail, make sure you follow any instructions you're given. (NB This is not an exhaustive list!)
(edited 9 years ago)
A really clever or lucky person.

I got one, probably more through luck than effort.
(edited 9 years ago)
Most of the really nerdy guys in my uni who spent every waking moment in the library got stressed out and ended up with 2:2s.

I got a 1st, and I went out partying to night clubs 4-5 nights a week. I think going out and drinking is a really important part of your success because it motivates you to work smart as well as work hard, and it relaxes you and helps keep things in perspective. You get more done in 2 hours knowing you have to work quickly and effectively because you're going out and getting laid that night than you do in 6 hours sitting in misery and boredom in the library.
Organised, more research and keep your head down in the books.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending