The Student Room Group

Changing a degree?

This may be a really silly question. I live in Canada and I'm applying at UK universities for 2015 entry. I'm undecided about what degree I want to choose. In Canada, this isn't a problem as you don't declare your degree officially until the end of your first year, and even then it's really easy to switch your major/specialization providing you have the credits. Torn between English and Geography, I would take classes for both and then choose.

In the UK, it's much more direct and specialized right away. How does changing your degree work? Would I absolutely have to withdraw from university and re-apply for the next year? What if I'm only a term in in my first year? Can I take both English and Geography classes or are you restricted to one subject area? Basically, what are my options in case I decide I've made a mistake?
Reply 1
You can get combined English & Geography joint honour degrees. If you find you prefer one over the other, you can usually bias optional modules to suit yourself, but you may not completely be able to give up one of them. It depends on the course structure, which will be individual to each uni. Might be worth looking into in more detail?

Examples:
https://humanities.exeter.ac.uk/english/undergraduate/cornwall/geogeng/programmestructure/

http://www.derby.ac.uk/courses/jhs/aesjggj/course-name-7239-en.html

http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/artsandhumanities/english-literature/ba-englitgeog-lq73/#description=is-collapsed

In the UK, it would be improbable that you could do the first year of a single honours English or Geography degree, and then be allowed to swap subjects at the start of your second year. You'd be expected to start a new degree from scratch the following academic year.
(edited 9 years ago)
You don't sound very sure about your choice. Do not come to the UK to do a degree thinking about changing before the ink on your application form is dry.

Whilst I think studying abroad is a great idea (and I have moved abroad myself), I wonder if it is right for you now. A joint honours may be the way to go, but perhaps you would be better studying for your first degree in Canada where choice is a typical option and then come to UK for a Masters.
Original post by birchmc
This may be a really silly question. I live in Canada and I'm applying at UK universities for 2015 entry. I'm undecided about what degree I want to choose. In Canada, this isn't a problem as you don't declare your degree officially until the end of your first year, and even then it's really easy to switch your major/specialization providing you have the credits. Torn between English and Geography, I would take classes for both and then choose.

In the UK, it's much more direct and specialized right away. How does changing your degree work? Would I absolutely have to withdraw from university and re-apply for the next year? What if I'm only a term in in my first year? Can I take both English and Geography classes or are you restricted to one subject area? Basically, what are my options in case I decide I've made a mistake?

You can normally study two subjects like Geog and English, and drop one after first year or carry on studying both for the duration of your degree. Not sure why you want to come to England though, it is much ****ter than Canada! Very expensive too.
You'll get a short period where you can transfer courses at the discretion of your department and the department of the target course, depending on the uni and sometimes even on the department, this is about 2 to 4 weeks after freshers week.
Reply 5
Original post by JamesManc
You can normally study two subjects like Geog and English, and drop one after first year or carry on studying both for the duration of your degree. Not sure why you want to come to England though, it is much ****ter than Canada! Very expensive too.

Oh, I can do that? Is that by doing a joint degree or more of an elective thing?

Haha! Having lived in both places I can tell you that I definitely prefer the UK. Always have, always will.
Reply 6
Original post by Helloworld_95
You'll get a short period where you can transfer courses at the discretion of your department and the department of the target course, depending on the uni and sometimes even on the department, this is about 2 to 4 weeks after freshers week.

Thank you for your help!
Original post by birchmc
Oh, I can do that? Is that by doing a joint degree or more of an elective thing?

Haha! Having lived in both places I can tell you that I definitely prefer the UK. Always have, always will.

Yes a joint degree 50%/50% called BA English and Geography or a 75%/25% degree called either BA English with Geography or BA/BSc Geography with English depending on what you study 75%. The name just changes from 'and' to 'with' x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending