The Student Room Group

How do you drop out of uni?

Yeah... I got overly emotional through lack of sleep and posted this in a state of weakness. Now I've been the gym, listened to my motivational music and am done being a pussy about my essay. Sorry those who spent time actually advising me but it turns out I just needed to calm down. If mods could close this I'd appreciate it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Deadlines are everywhere, if you can't do it at uni, then you won't be able to do it at work.
Work has plenty more deadlines than university. And don't just accept you're lazy. It's a horrible trait so you should try to amend it.

If you do quit, you go to you tutor then you see head of department and have an exiting interview where they will ask you and perhaps judge/convince you to stay.

Then you sign some papers and then one your way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
pathetic
same ways you dropped out of yo mamas burlap sack
Reply 6
As someone who dropped out I'd suggest lining up stuff BEFORE dropping out.
Whether it be work, college or somehow affording a gap year.

As for explaining it;
Just say you've found X, you prefer it and don't think Uni is right for you. Proceed to come back and go for X.
Voila, you just justified your decision to leave University.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kaiju
As someone who dropped out I'd suggest lining up stuff BEFORE dropping out.
If you're in halls, milk as much extra time out as you possibly can, too. There's no reason not to if you paid in advance.
You're in major debt either way now, not that it makes any difference - I'm technically 4k in debt and nobody has mentioned anything to me.

As for explaining it, this is why you should get something first:
Just say you've found X, you prefer it and don't think Uni is right for you. Proceed to come back and go for X. Voila, you just justified your decision to leave University.

Agreed. I secured a job before officially leaving my second degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm returning back to Uni for something entirely different (if all goes to plan) and as far as I know all I've lost besides a few weeks rent and (potentially, not 100% sure how it works) 1 years student finance funding is time.

It's not as major as stressy people who value their schooling over their mental wellbeing would have you believe, honestly.

EDIT: If you are in halls, make sure you contact someone about the policy for rent. Some Uni's make you pay a full year and if you leave, well, too bad.
Some make you pay by installments, others are full year with refunds to the leaving week, etc.
If you chose a place that makes you pay the full year and doesn't refund you might be pretty ****ed unless your fam can pay for it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kaiju
I'm returning back to Uni for something entirely different (if all goes to plan) and as far as I know all I've lost besides a few weeks rent and (potentially, not 100% sure how it works) 1 years student finance funding is time.

It's not as major as stressy people who value their schooling over their mental wellbeing would have you believe, honestly.

EDIT: If you are in halls, make sure you contact someone about the policy for rent. Some Uni's make you pay a full year and if you leave, well, too bad.
Some make you pay by installments, others are full year with refunds to the leaving week, etc.
If you chose a place that makes you pay the full year and doesn't refund you might be pretty ****ed unless your fam can pay for it.

Me too! I dropped out of my second degree and now applying for dentistry! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending