The Student Room Group

Predicted and final grades plus a matter of scholarships

Hello,

1. As we know, several months before the final exams
IB students get predicted grades, thanks to which
universities can tentatively assess a given student
and send him a conditional offer.

My question is - what can I do, when i don't go to university right after the IB? Will it be more
difficult to get to an university with such a
"gap year"? Will the univ check only the final
grades, passing over the predicted grades?

I am asking, because... My grades for various
examinations are usually higher than some
grades from teachers during the school year :wink:
It is already a rule :smile:
That's why I expect that my predicted grades
will be lower than the final ones.
WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE THE PREDICTED GRADES
INSIGNIFICANT EVERYWHERE?
It is not a joke, I just want to know :frown:

2. What is the minimum numer of points, if
an IB student wants to get a full scholarship,
sufficient for everything during the years
of studying? Where is it the easiest?
What are the main conditions?

Is a student with more than 40 points much in demand?

How many points should I get in order to get a
scholarship covering all the univ fees and my living costs?

And the last thing - is it possible to make a profit on studying? :rolleyes:
Are some scholarships so high, who gets them?

Thank you in advance.
Mark
lol thats a lot of questions. ok first of all i'm almost positive the swedish method of dealing with unis is different to lots of other places. last year for the first time they introduced a scheme whereby ur mock grades wouldnt instantly count for your predicted points. so yeah teachers can't really predict u badly on the basis of exam scores cos u can query them if their mocks.

i believe 40 points + for uk would get u a scholarship somewhere i think reading do one. most scholarships are given in terms of a level points though not IB, so could be harder. try doing some reseasrch start at www.ucas.ac.uk or just type unis into google and have a look round their sites. i don't think UK scholarshis will cover everything. if u do stuff throughserrvices like the RAF or army they often pay uni stuff for u quite genersouly as well.

lmao a profit on studying that would be pushing your luck lol but yeah i think some of the armed forces things can leave you in a similar postion to this if ur UK but ur not so i dunno.

gap year students are welcomed as long as gap years are seen as being beneficial, ie ur not jsut sitting round, unis want to see you being stimulated in your gap years. or u could apply a year later and not do a deferred entry

hope this helps, any other problems feel free to ask :biggrin: welcome to TSR :p:
either I missed this or ... you are applying to uni where?

and I dont think the gap year should harm your chances. it's all what you're doing in your gap year I guess.

personally I think it's rather hard to predict chances of scholarship just on grades alone. scholarship applications usually as for essays/personal statements and stuff...

Latest

Trending

Trending