The Student Room Group

TSR PhotoSoc (and post your gear thread)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dhr90
Manfrotto.

I have a Giottos one but its heavier than a car so I don't like to use it. Want to upgrade, but that's near the bottom of my priorities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they look to be the best brand for the amount I want to spend. Cheers :yy:
I have a Manfrotto and it's great (more than you want to spend though), however there are several good brands out there - Gitzo, Manfrotto, Real Right Stuff etc. With tripods you want stability, low weight and a low price, and you get to pick either two :biggrin: Most of the stuff under £100 is rubbish though, so with your budget I'd suggest checking out used tripods.
Original post by Sir Fox
I have a Manfrotto and it's great (more than you want to spend though), however there are several good brands out there - Gitzo, Manfrotto, Real Right Stuff etc. With tripods you want stability, low weight and a low price, and you get to pick either two :biggrin: Most of the stuff under £100 is rubbish though, so with your budget I'd suggest checking out used tripods.

Yeah the pick two seemed the be the case when I was looking earlier :ahee: but I rarely get the chance to go shooting in places I'd take a tripod and I'm trying to cut down my spending as much as possible so I can move out/go travelling, so I really can't justify spending any more :erm:
Reply 183
What will you be using it for? Do you need it? If night shooting, forget I asked :tongue:
Original post by dhr90
What will you be using it for? Do you need it? If night shooting, forget I asked :tongue:

I need one in the sense that I don't currently own one- well I do but it was a £10 piece of rubbish from amazon that had trouble supporting the weight of the 100D+18-35, nevermind the 70D :ahee: but yeah, long exposure work and nighttime shooting are the things I want to try and do more of and I have a couple of potential opportunities lined up where being able to bring a tripod would be very beneficial.
Reply 185
Canon will be announcing/showing off two new FF DSLRs next week the 5DS and 5DS R:

50.6MP full frame CMOS sensor
5DS R has the low pass filter removed
Magnesium Alloy Body
Dust and weather sealed
Dual DIGIC6 processor
ISO Range of 100-6400
5FPS continuous shooting
High precision 61-point AF
EOS Itr AF
“fine detail” added to the Picture Styles
1.3x and 1.6x crop shooting mode
Customizable “Quick Control screen”
Time-lapse movie
Anti-flicker
Interval Timer
Bulb timer

I'm guessing the AF is the same, or maybe tweaked version from the 7D2? Interesting ISO range (I'd be amazed if that was accurate to be honest!).

So, anyone got a sky scraper they want an image put onto? That MP count should cover it :biggrin:
Original post by dhr90
Canon will be announcing/showing off two new FF DSLRs next week the 5DS and 5DS R.

Ehm - so far it's just rumours.

50.6MP full frame CMOS sensor

Will the megapixel craze ever end? That's as much as the highest resolution medium format camera out there, and knowing Canon's not exactly superb sensors I kinda doubt it will benefit low light performance ...
Reply 187
Original post by Sir Fox
Ehm - so far it's just rumours.

Will the megapixel craze ever end? That's as much as the highest resolution medium format camera out there, and knowing Canon's not exactly superb sensors I kinda doubt it will benefit low light performance ...

http://www.canonrumors.com/ When they make a firm comment like that, it is 95% of the time spot on.

Its equal (roughly) to the same pixel density of the 7D mk1. I do wonder about general image quality though, if they can nail it then they could potentially attract a few Nikon customers back I think.
It's happened - it's FINALLY happened. Just over 14 years after their first announcement, Ricoh has finally confirmed release of a Pentax FF for late 2015!

I wet myself a bit ...
Original post by Sir Fox
It's happened - it's FINALLY happened. Just over 14 years after their first announcement, Ricoh has finally confirmed release of a Pentax FF for late 2015!

I wet myself a bit ...

I've always (and by always, I mean the last 10 months or so that I've actually been properly interested in photography) found it strange that Pentax have made APS-C cameras for over a decade, medium format cameras for 5 years now, but never connected the dots with a FF model in between :ahee:
More Canon leaks this week too, albeit at the opposite end of the price scale, with supposed pics of a 750D and 760D. Both apparently feature a new 24MP sensor, although I can't imagine they'd release the 7D2 with an older sensor then release two lower end DSLRs with a brand new one just a couple of months later (unless of course it's higher resolution but worse in other areas), and the same AF system as the 70D/7D1. The 750D is supposed to be a generic refresh of the *00D line with a general spec bump, NFC and a few extra buttons on top. The 760D brings over a few of the features from the higher end cameras like an LCD top plate and rear control dial. The last few cameras in this line have been practically identical but there looks to be a decent amount of change this time around if the rumors play out!

http://petapixel.com/2015/02/04/canon-750d-760d-leaked-heres-first-look-upcoming-entry-level-dslrs/
Reply 191
Original post by Sir Fox

I wet myself a bit ...

Hope it's worth the wait! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bit late to the party here but I am a total photography, camera gear nerd!

I sell prints and merchandise of the prints so my gear is aimed towards travel and street photography with a bit of landscape for good measure.

Panasonic GM1
Canon 550D
Oly 45mm f1.8
Panasonic 20mm f1.7
Canon 50mm f1.4
Lensbaby 50mm composer double glass
Can't remember the exact name but also have an awesome CCTV lens which produces some really fun results.
Lightroom 5
Elements 13
Aizo monitor

My absolute fave combo is the GM1 with the 45mm. I was surprised I have ended up liking that focal length but its such a great lens. I love my GM1.

I keep flirting with the idea of investing more into the DSLR route with a view to going full frame but I love the convenience of M43. Actually some of my most popular prints were shot with my iphone (heavily edited). Just shows the best camera is the one you have with you!
Original post by IloveBMO
Bit late to the party here but I am a total photography, camera gear nerd!

I sell prints and merchandise of the prints so my gear is aimed towards travel and street photography with a bit of landscape for good measure.

Panasonic GM1
Canon 550D
Oly 45mm f1.8
Panasonic 20mm f1.7
Canon 50mm f1.4
Lensbaby 50mm composer double glass
Can't remember the exact name but also have an awesome CCTV lens which produces some really fun results.
Lightroom 5
Elements 13
Aizo monitor

My absolute fave combo is the GM1 with the 45mm. I was surprised I have ended up liking that focal length but its such a great lens. I love my GM1.

I keep flirting with the idea of investing more into the DSLR route with a view to going full frame but I love the convenience of M43. Actually some of my most popular prints were shot with my iphone (heavily edited). Just shows the best camera is the one you have with you!

Ooo where d'you sell them? What's your fav photo?
Original post by dhr90
Hope it's worth the wait! :tongue:

Rumour has it it will be made from adamantium, feature a 99 MP sensor, a whisky flask and a corkscrew, enable the owner to communicate with spirits and cure cancer. So, yeah - psyched.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Ooo where d'you sell them? What's your fav photo?

I sell them on Etsy which is a very cool international online market place;

cassiopiphotography.etsy.com

I love travel photography more than anything purely because it involves travelling lol

What about you? What kind of photography are you into?
I sell them on Etsy which is a very cool international online market place;

cassiopiphotography.etsy.com

I love travel photography more than anything purely because it involves travelling lol

What about you? What kind of photography are you into?

Oh I love Etsy, I've been meaning to make my own photography shop on there for agesssss now!

Ha ha agreed on the travel photography front! Tbh I like everything apart from posed photography because it just feels so unnatural. You can see some oh my photos here: http://freshvisionphotography.co.uk/

Also :five: on Adventure Time
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Oh I love Etsy, I've been meaning to make my own photography shop on there for agesssss now!

Ha ha agreed on the travel photography front! Tbh I like everything apart from posed photography because it just feels so unnatural. You can see some oh my photos here: http://freshvisionphotography.co.uk/

Also :five: on Adventure Time

You should defo check out Etsy! Its a great site and so much fun selling all over the world. It's cool to think that somewhere in California someone has my photo on their wall.

Etsy is also good for groups, I am a member of the female photographers of Etsy team and their facebook group is awesome :-)

Also a member of the Brighton Etsy team too..

I agree on the posed photography though when I see others done well I really admire it. I just don't find it inspiring.

Great site and nice stuff!

Whats Photocrati like? Recommend it?
5DS and 5DS R are official, details can be found hiding among the marketing hyperbole here :ahee:
You should defo check out Etsy! Its a great site and so much fun selling all over the world. It's cool to think that somewhere in California someone has my photo on their wall.

Etsy is also good for groups, I am a member of the female photographers of Etsy team and their facebook group is awesome :-)

Also a member of the Brighton Etsy team too..

I agree on the posed photography though when I see others done well I really admire it. I just don't find it inspiring.

Great site and nice stuff!

Whats Photocrati like? Recommend it?

I really like Photocrati has to be said :yep: good to have things which are specifically for photographers :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending