The Student Room Group

TSR PhotoSoc (and post your gear thread)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KMcCaffrey
Ok i'll take a look, thank you very much for your advice :smile:

If it comes down to the Nikon D3200 vs the Canon 1200D, definitely go for the Nikon - significantly better image quality (dynamic range, high ISO etc.).
Original post by Sir Fox
If it comes down to the Nikon D3200 vs the Canon 1200D, definitely go for the Nikon - significantly better image quality (dynamic range, high ISO etc.).

Although you've got to think about what brand you want to stick with for life really as don't want to have to rebuy all your lenses.
Reply 222
right then,

Current kit:

Cameras: Nikon D7100 & D300
Lenses: Sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-75, Nikon 50mm 1.8D & 1.8G, Sigma 70-300, Sigma 15-30.

Flash: Neewer Speedlite 750II

Tripod: Manfrotto XproB

Mic: Rode video mic

About 20 ND filters & crap like that.

thought id attach my favourite photos so far this year. Taken just outside of Coniston (Lake district, Cumbria) (North England for anyone still clueless :P ) and the other is taken in Cervinia, Italy.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Although you've got to think about what brand you want to stick with for life really as don't want to have to rebuy all your lenses.

The way the imaging world is changing right now and with the rise of the mirrorless the chance that anything we're buying right now is going to be 'for life' is pretty slim. And the systematic differences between Canon und Nikon aren't really that big, both cover every photographic area well, with only minor advantages and disadvantages here and there.
Original post by Sir Fox
The way the imaging world is changing right now and with the rise of the mirrorless the chance that anything we're buying right now is going to be 'for life' is pretty slim. And the systematic differences between Canon und Nikon aren't really that big, both cover every photographic area well, with only minor advantages and disadvantages here and there.

True, but even for the next 10 or 20 years right now. And some people just prefer the feel of Canon or the feel of Nikon. Different people have different views on their button layouts etc.
Reply 225
Digitalrev TV have done a comparison of the Canon and Yungnuo 50mm f1.8 lenses. Seems the price difference is there for a reason.

Really trying not to buy the 40mm pancake to go with the 24 I got earlier in the year. My dad has given me a desire to buy shiny new lenses and a full frame camera. If only I had his budget...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
Digitalrev TV have done a comparison of the Canon and Yungnuo 50mm f1.8 lenses. Seems the price difference is there for a reason.

I would've been surprised if Yungnuo would have produced a lens that not only looks almost identical to the Canon version, but also uses the same optics, without Canon sending over some lawyers :colone:

My dad has given me a desire to buy shiny new lenses and a full frame camera. If only I had his budget.

If you two use the same system you can at least use some of his lenses once in a while.

I'm currently eyeing up two new lenses for an upcoming holiday to Namibia this summer. A Pentax HD DA 55-300 WR for the Safari part and the Samyang 14 f/2.8 for shots of the milky way over the desert. Hoping to get a job in early summer in order to afford the stuff ...
Reply 227
Original post by Sir Fox
I would've been surprised if Yungnuo would have produced a lens that not only looks almost identical to the Canon version, but also uses the same optics, without Canon sending over some lawyers :colone:

If you two use the same system you can at least use some of his lenses once in a while.

I'm currently eyeing up two new lenses for an upcoming holiday to Namibia this summer. A Pentax HD DA 55-300 WR for the Safari part and the Samyang 14 f/2.8 for shots of the milky way over the desert. Hoping to get a job in early summer in order to afford the stuff ...

True. But if they are Chinese I doubt that they would have paid any attention to layers? I genuinely don't know where they are based though.

He uses Nikon, just bought a D810, got a pretty stunning deal on it too. I like the reach from crop though so a 7D2 would be nearly perfect for me.

I need a better UWA, that Samyang intrigues me a lot. Will be interested to see the results you get!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
True. But if they are Chinese I doubt that they would have paid any attention to layers? I genuinely don't know where they are based though.

Chinese corporations aren't immune to international laws :wink: Even if China didn't care Canon could probably have sales banned in Japan, the US, Europe ...

He uses Nikon, just bought a D810, got a pretty stunning deal on it too.

If someone threw a bunch of money at me and forced me to buy one camera right now, I'd take a D810. It must be amazing for landscape photography.

I need a better UWA, that Samyang intrigues me a lot. Will be interested to see the results you get!

If you're not particular about night sky photography, you might want to look for other lenses. The 14 f/2.8 doesn't take any filters which is a major drawback for me as it limits its use for landscape photography. No silky smooth waterfalls or sea with ND filters, no drawn out clouds ...
Reply 229
Original post by Sir Fox
Chinese corporations aren't immune to international laws :wink: Even if China didn't care Canon could probably have sales banned in Japan, the US, Europe ...

If someone threw a bunch of money at me and forced me to buy one camera right now, I'd take a D810. It must be amazing for landscape photography.

If you're not particular about night sky photography, you might want to look for other lenses. The 14 f/2.8 doesn't take any filters which is a major drawback for me as it limits its use for landscape photography. No silky smooth waterfalls or sea with ND filters, no drawn out clouds ...

Try telling that to BMW, Mini etc, they tried to sue and China just said no.

He hasn't tried it yet, hasn't got a monitor capable of showing what the camera can do either!

I may want to use filters with it. But it's for day and nightscapes, and maybe some indoor work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whoops I've just bought a D7200 :rolleyes:
Original post by Scott1541
Whoops I've just bought a D7200 :rolleyes:

Well it's an easy mistake to make :ahee:

Original post by Sir Fox

Original post by dhr90

I remember hearing something about the lenses being based on recently expired patents, which would explain why they could copy the body/optics but the autofocus motor is pretty sucky in comparison.
Yep :biggrin:

I had to get it around deadline & exam time too, it's going to be a distraction for sure :tongue: After exams are all over I need to get some places and put it through it's paces.
Reply 233
Was watching some racing today, saw someone a few rows away who was checking which graduated filter (looked like a lee filter system, or any other drop in system) to use by holding it up, with their fingers in the middle smearing it with fingerprints. They then put it onto a lens with a front rotating element when the telephoto lens focused. I ran out of hands to facepalm with! Tried to offer some advice but they were rather rude and unreceptive so I gave up.

Not looking forward to viewing my results of shooting, definitely need to learn how to pan again :frown: Too many people were there too sadly so getting a decent shot was really tough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
I ran out of hands to facepalm with! Tried to offer some advice but they were rather rude and unreceptive so I gave up.

:biggrin:

My personal favourite is tourists with DSLRs (in auto-mode, of course) trying to take pictures of the moon with the little pop-up flash engaged.
Original post by Sir Fox
:biggrin:

My personal favourite is tourists with DSLRs (in auto-mode, of course) trying to take pictures of the moon with the little pop-up flash engaged.

Well it is at night, so the extra light is a big help :P
Reply 236
Anyone got lightroom 6? Looking at an upgrade from 4 :holmes: Will be going on a new laptop, I need to decide on my storage set up too, don't want to fill the internal HDD and slow things down.
Let's resurrect this thread!

In anticipation of a trip to Namibia in two weeks I recently got myself a tele-zoom, the Pentax HD DA 55-300 WR. I tried it out at the lake shooting some wild geese - eally satisfied with the results so far considering it was 'only' €340, and the weather sealing is pretty sweet too.

Reply 238
That second shot of the geese is good! The lens looks like an old Nikon or Leica lens my dad owns, both in design and construction.
I'm off to the zoo tomorrow - very excited to take pics of all the animals!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending